Remington 700 stock

I inherited an old Remington 700 in 300WM from my grandfather. The gun is excellent condition. For nostalgic purposes I want to hunt with it but I want to switch out the wooden stock so I don't have to worry with damaging it in the field.
Any suggestions for an affordable stock (~$500 range) that I can switch out myself? TIA!

06 SB

FNG
Lots of good options out there. I have used Stocky’s, Bell&Carlson and McMillan. Your desired target weight will determine what stock is best. My personal recommendation would be a CDL profile in a laminated pattern. The CDL is narrower and lighter profile using the same materials than a BDL or ADL stock. McMillan stocks have many different patterns and do go on sale occasionally. I have never liked the HS Precision profile but they are good stocks, just a bit chunky for me.

06 SB

FNG
I would add that you should pay attention to the weight of specific stocks. A few of the Sticky’s variations weigh A LOT.

B23

WKR
For the money in a conventional stock grip configuration IMO the HS Prec. are really hard to beat. I have numerous on different Rem 700 semi custom builds and they are a very solid stock. The B&C are a look alike to the HS Prec. and are often mistaken for a HS Prec. but the HS is a better quality stock.

HS Prec. has a variety of different profiles they've used on Remington's over the years. The ones you see the most are from Rem Sendero's, Varmint, and a variety of different Police model 700's like the P, PSS, or LTR models. Some have palm swell some don't and some have a wider more squared off fore end while others are more rounded.

I have a HS Prec. long action Rem 700 that is more like a sporter style stock that may work for you. If you'd like to know more about it PM and I'll get you some picks.