Remington mountain rifle thoughts?

CKMT

FNG
So I just ordered what might be the last new Remington 700 mountain ss rifle out there. It’s chambered in 6.5 creedmoor which was not my first choice (was hoping for 7mm-08) but since it was kinda a unicorn find I jumped on it. Anyone have any first hand experience with this gun in this caliber? I plan to use it for a mule deer and elk mountain timber rifle since I already own a couple long range guns. Plus side is I have a 6.5 prc that loves 143 eldx so if this rifle shoots them accurately I can reload for both with the same bullet. I’m thinking I’m going to put a vx freedom 3-9x40 tri moa cds scope on it. I know it’s not a high quality scope but I really like how lightweight it is and it has a fairly large fov for close range shots and the options for slightly longer cross canyon shots if presented. Any feedback appreciated, thanks!

As for the gun and chambering sounds like you're pleased with it and that's the important part.

I've had Leupold scopes on my rifles for 30 years, I wouldn't hesitate to put that scope on it. Of course and obviously it's not the best glass compared to what guys are willing to throw down $1000 or $1500 for. Legal shooting hours are legal shooting hours and my 30 year old Leupolds still get the job done with light to spare and glass that I would suspect is less than what that has in it. For a set it and forget it scope you're gonna be fine.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think those are good rifles, I'd get the vx3i 2.5-8x36 on it personally. After that, Send the bolt in to Accu-tig in Fairbanks to get tig welded and re-timed, throw a trigger tech in there and you have an awesome gun. There is a 308 mountain rifle in the classified section that somebody needs to buy so I don't spend the $$$.

I have the same gun. Shoots great with all factory ammo I have tried. Going to work up some 140 gr Accubonds this summer for it.

So I just ordered what might be the last new Remington 700 mountain ss rifle out there. It’s chambered in 6.5 creedmoor which was not my first choice (was hoping for 7mm-08) but since it was kinda a unicorn find I jumped on it. Anyone have any first hand experience with this gun in this caliber? I plan to use it for a mule deer and elk mountain timber rifle since I already own a couple long range guns. Plus side is I have a 6.5 prc that loves 143 eldx so if this rifle shoots them accurately I can reload for both with the same bullet. I’m thinking I’m going to put a vx freedom 3-9x40 tri moa cds scope on it. I know it’s not a high quality scope but I really like how lightweight it is and it has a fairly large fov for close range shots and the options for slightly longer cross canyon shots if presented. Any feedback appreciated, thanks!
Good snag. I had the chance a few years ago to buy a stainless mountain 700 with the synthetic stock in .280 Remington. Like an idiot I passed on it. It was heavier than I wanted. Looking back, that really was a unicorn at the time and I should have bought it. I could have gotten it for $695 brand new.

In time you'll get to know that rifle and then decide if it needs any upgrades. I think that's a fine scope choice although I don't get scopes that have both holdover reticles and a CDS. I had that scope in the "Tri-MOA" holdover reticle (no CDS) and it was a darn good scope for the money. I think it's a good match.

Enjoy your find!

OP
C

CKMT

FNG
I think those are good rifles, I'd get the vx3i 2.5-8x36 on it personally. After that, Send the bolt in to Accu-tig in Fairbanks to get tig welded and re-timed, throw a trigger tech in there and you have an awesome gun. There is a 308 mountain rifle in the classified section that somebody needs to buy so I don't spend the $$$.
I’m unfamiliar with the tig welding. Could you explain this process and benefits? I own a couple Remingtons and know of trueing and blueprinting but have not heard of this. If it’s a shooter I’m going to send the bolt out to the polished knob to get customized like another one I have and I have a timney for it already.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m unfamiliar with the tig welding. Could you explain this process and benefits? I own a couple Remingtons and know of trueing and blueprinting but have not heard of this. If it’s a shooter I’m going to send the bolt out to the polished knob to get customized like another one I have and I have a timney for it already.

The way Remington weds the bolt handle to the bolt is a weak point in the design. I believe it’s just brazed on. I’d you look around the internet you can find examples of the bolt handles breaking off the bolt. The timing helps the primary extraction.

OP
C

CKMT

FNG
The way Remington weds the bolt handle to the bolt is a weak point in the design. I believe it’s just brazed on. I’d you look around the internet you can find examples of the bolt handles breaking off the bolt. The timing helps the primary extraction.
Gotcha, I have not heard of that and own a couple Remingtons that have not had issues. First things first I’m going to do a simple barrel break in and see how it shoots before I dump any money into it. So far I have been fortunate to get great shooting 700’s hope this one is as well. Thanks for the info!

I have that very rifle and chambering, and likely from that same last batch. I want to love it because it feels perfect in the hand. The shape of the stock, the weight, the balance and the way it comes to the shoulder just work for me. In its first two range trips, it wore a VXII. May last sighting in 3 shot groups were very close to MOA. I tried some of the same and some different ammo on the rifles second trip to the range, my best 3 shot 100 yard group was about 2.5. I bought a Trijicon 3-9x40 to replace the Leupold. Everything still feels good, but the extra weight of the Trijicon is noticeable. I have not yet shot the rifle again since I switched scopes.

OP
C

CKMT

FNG
So I think I’m getting cold feet! I hate to say it but I might pass on the gun since I can get a full refund. I really want a mountain rifle chambered in 7mm-08. I wish bergara made one in the mountain 2.0.

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
So I think I’m getting cold feet! I hate to say it but I might pass on the gun since I can get a full refund. I really want a mountain rifle chambered in 7mm-08. I wish bergara made one in the mountain 2.0.
How much was it going to cost you? Hard to be a mountain rifle

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a good price. If I could find a new one in 25-06 for that price I’d jump on it all day

OP
C

CKMT

FNG
Seems like a good price. If I could find a new one in 25-06 for that price I’d jump on it all day
I know! I’m probably being too picky but really don’t need one right now. And I’m willing to wait for what I want.

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
I know! I’m probably being too picky but really don’t need one right now. And I’m willing to wait for what I want.
Larry Potterfield says “you always need at least one more”, and I believe those are words to live by.