Removing stink from boots

Tried searching around but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Anybody have a magic recipe to remove stinky funk from boots?

I've got a pair of Salamon Quests that I used for training for about 18mos. They smell bad, really bad. Worse after I start sweating in them. Love the fit and feel of the boots but they're starting to stink so bad I hate to put my feet near them. Any help is appreciated.

molon labe

Remove and wash the insoles in the washing machine. Soak cotton balls with rubbing alcohol, drench the inside of the shoe, and let evaporate. Put baking soda in the shoes, seal them in ziplock bags, and freeze them overnight. Repeat....

Fill inside with 50/50 Vinegar and water to kill the bacteria and then wash in the sink with reg. laundry detergent. I've also used 10% bleach instead of the vinegar.

I faced a similar dilemma a few years back...didn't end so well for me though! I had tried all the usual stuff and none of it worked at all for me (didn't try some of the stuff above though). I was in grad school at the time, studying bacterial physiology, and working really late a lot. Probably too late given what came next. I figured that the same method I was using to kill bacteria and mold on my glassware could be used to kill the bacteria and mold that cause boots to stink, namely an autoclave (basically an industrial pressure cooker about the size of an oven). The nice thing about working at midnight is that you pretty much have your run of the core facilities so I decided that this was the perfect time for my perfect plan. I remember thinking that I could hardly believe no one had commercialized such an obvious plan for removing odor from aging footwear. I was so confident that this was a brilliant idea I decided to just go ahead and autoclave both of my pairs of hunting boots at once!

Well, what I got 45 minutes later is really best described as two pairs of leather baby shoes loosely attached to adult sized soles with a gooey mess of melted and subsequently dried glue of some sort. To make matters worse, the stench of burnt leather and glue and hot rubber was about 100X worse than any foot odor I've ever come across. It actually smelled up the whole floor and I had to fess up to the facilities manager the next day so he wouldn't call the fire department about the burning smell (though he graciously agreed to keep the story as quiet as possible to preserve any chance of my graduation).

I'm still pretty sure it was the "dry" cycle that killed me, but I wasn't about to test the process again without that drying phase after that...if anyone does test the principle of pressure cooking your boots to remove odor, please do let me know how it goes, I'm like 80% sure its the best solution ever :) If it were me though, I think I'd rather explain to the fire department than my wife if she ever found out I put rotten smelling, scat covered boots in her canning cooker!

Thanks fellas. Will give it a go and report back with results. Much appreciated.

molon labe

I've had the best results with the 10% bleach, but I really take the time to avoid getting to much on the leather and really rinse it out good. Been doing it for 5 years and havn't had a single problem yet.

I've done all the suggestions and they work most of the time. When it doesn't consider every shoe material is different and how the bacteria attatches will differ. At that point its a two step process for me clean or soak with an enzyme cleaner like pet stain remover. Once dry remove insoles sprinkle fresh coffee grounds in side overnight then shake it out, blow out with air. Coffee smell goes away in a few days removes lingering funk and all the cleaner odar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You might try concrobium. It has been safe on my shoes/boots and is non-toxic. They used to sell a FDA approved spray for sneakers that would do that, however the name escapes me at the moment. It used to be sold at The Athlete's Foot when I used to manage stores for them.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I have some extra spray that I could give you the next time you're in Denver. It works okay but takes several applications before it eventually works it's way out. I have to spray my football cleats after every game or else they get bad. Mine is a different cheaper one, but this one is highly rated and I've been wanting to try it:

Amazon.com : Natural Shoe Deodorizer, Foot Deodorant Spray for Athletes. Removes Odor, Stink From Bacteria. Mint Spray Freshens Better Than Powders, Antiperspirants, Insoles, Sneaker Balls. Use on Feet and Shoes. : Sports & Outdoors

I have also thrown my shoes in the washing machine before and that helped.

Thanks again for all the help fellas. Work has been crazier than usual and I haven't had a chance to try anything yet. After this tour I'll get some cleaning/experimenting started. Thanks again!

molon labe

Back