Residency, Oregon vs Washington

Between Oregon and Washington, which state has the most hunting/fishing opportunities.

• Oregon

Votes: 48 84.2%
  • Washington

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters
Isn't it ironic that "progressives" viciously defend the most regressive forms of taxation?

Doesn't matter if you're making $10M a year or $10 an hour, you're still paying close to 10% on every purchase you make, and $5 a gallon in gas in the state.

I could go on all day about how mis-managed WA is, but I think I've made my point to OP haha.

By almost every metric, WA state should be a mini-Alaska, a true sportsman's paradise. If you talk to guys who were there when Boeing was the big dawg in town instead of the worker bee tech hives, they'll say just that...unrivaled. Where else can you fish for steelhead in a rainforest, hammer giant alpine muleys, and dust high desert quail and roosters all within 2 hrs of your house...ALMOST makes me miss it ha!

We pray for WA from a safe distance now because it really is an incredible place...but man oh man it's difficult to imagine anyone WANTING to move there in 2023.
Salmon, steelhead, oysters, geo ducks, razor clams, butter clams, dungeness crab, spot shrimp, ling cod, sturgeon, burbot, roosevelt elk, rocky mountain elk, blacktail, whitetail, mule deer, moose, sheep, mountain goats, caribou, bears, cats, ruffed grouse, blue grouse, spruce grouse, eastern turkeys, merriam's, rio grande's........

I loved growing up in Washington and it's a damn shame my kids won't be able to experience it like I did.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Isn't it ironic that "progressives" viciously defend the most regressive forms of taxation?

Doesn't matter if you're making $10M a year or $10 an hour, you're still paying close to 10% on every purchase you make, and $5 a gallon in gas in the state.

I could go on all day about how mis-managed WA is, but I think I've made my point to OP haha.

By almost every metric, WA state should be a mini-Alaska, a true sportsman's paradise. If you talk to guys who were there when Boeing was the big dawg in town instead of the worker bee tech hives, they'll say just that...unrivaled. Where else can you fish for steelhead in a rainforest, hammer giant alpine muleys, and dust high desert quail and roosters all within 2 hrs of your house...ALMOST makes me miss it ha!

We pray for WA from a safe distance now because it really is an incredible place...but man oh man it's difficult to imagine anyone WANTING to move there in 2023.
Heck lots of states have been ruined that could or should be paradise, CA comes to mind as well. Where did you and the family escape to? Co is being ruined as I type this….

IdahoBeav

WKR
Lived in and hunted both. OR 60%+ public land, WA 42% ish iirc. OR has about 27k sq miles more land mass. Then fewer people and very restrictive NR quotas, advantage OR.
How is this a good thing? ODFW could really use NR dollars.

ianpadron

WKR
Heck lots of states have been ruined that could or should be paradise, CA comes to mind as well. Where did you and the family escape to? Co is being ruined as I type this….
We're in NW Montana now. Difficult to describe how much of an upgrade it's been.

Having lots of guns, going to church...basic things that made you an outlier in WA are common-place here. Love it.

Neither WA or OR are fit places to live. WA in particular seems to be trying to shut down hunting and fishing. Currently living in WA.

We are looking at WY, ID and MT in that order due to tax advantages. However, any of those states would be better than either WA or OR.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
Need a 3rd choice for your vote - NEITHER. Both states are as bad and mis-managed as California. All 3 of them with sooo much to offer outdoors people yet so screwed up. How how how do voters not see this??? Oh how screwed up our nation and it's people have become.

geterdone

FNG
Hunting can be a wash between the two, and neither state is managing hunting opportunities well. Maybe fewer people in Oregon helps.

For fishing, you have better ocean fishing opportunities in Oregon. You have to be in the southern half of Washington to have any chance to fish the salt. Same goes for salmon fishing. Puget sound has a rule book the size of a calculus college text book, but you can spot prawn fish up there a few days a year. I think that is the only reason to fish the sound.

Both states have good lake fishing, just find one close to home and go.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

DRUSS

WKR
I live in Oregon but right across the river from Washington. Friends and family on both sides. I believe both on on the downward trend as to many non Outdoorsmans type people control a lot of decisions thar are made off financially driven agendas as opposed to science based choices. I believe Washington if fishing is your priority, Oregon if hunting is the priority. Either way, I hate leaving coastal life but am ready to head east across the border to another state. The last 15yrs been tough but the last 3-4 are sickening of what's accepted by the public and government.

I live in Washington and I chose Oregon. But honestly it depends on your pursuits. I buy Oregon licenses every year.

I think Oregon has better tuna, ocean fishing, crabbing, antelope, elk, black tail, mule deer, catfish, Kokanee, crappy, and black bear.

All the Columbia corridor stuff like salmon, walleye, bass is the same.

Washington has better clamming, whitetail hunting, better shots at moose, goats, and high wilderness deer hunting.

ODB

WKR
Having lived in Washington and currently living in Idaho…if WA or OR are the options..Oregon all the way.

repins05

WKR
My hunting group consists of 6 to 7. Myself and buddy are Oregon residents. The other 5 drive down from the seattle area and hunt down here paying the nr costs.

as long as you are not in the Portland metro and a few other large cities like Salem and Eugene, the rest of Oregon flies trump flags.

hate to say it but Montana and probably Idaho are going to fall down the path of wa and or. Already seeing signs of them turning.