Resistance when resizing.

sdupontjr

WKR
Thank you. I was cautious about getting lube inside the case due to the risk of primer issues but I guess it's not an amount that's ever going to make its way that far down the case anyway

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Not alot, but just a little dab. I have found myself spraying the brass with the necks facing away so I don't get any inside. Then If i feel the slightest resistance, shoot alittle in the die body, but let it dry completely. Or as others have said, you'll get dents in your brass.

Vern400

WKR
I've been reloading for a few months now and have done a bunch of .308 and now am doing 7mm08. I am setting up my dies with the instructions (lawyer version).

I lube my brass and set it in the shell holder. On the upstroke I get the expected resistance expected when pushing the brass up into the die. However on the down stroke the brass starts coming out of the die and I then hit a wall of resistance where I have to push down hard on the lever and "pop" the brass out of the die.

This doesn't seem right to me. It's happening with both 308 and 7mm08. I've reset the dies multiple times and it always happens during resizing.

Is this normal? I'm completely self taught from you tube and reading here and other places. I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

Press is a Rock Chucker and dies are also RCBS. Using RCBS kine on a lube mat.

That is a big
I've been reloading for a few months now and have done a bunch of .308 and now am doing 7mm08. I am setting up my dies with the instructions (lawyer version).

I lube my brass and set it in the shell holder. On the upstroke I get the expected resistance expected when pushing the brass up into the die. However on the down stroke the brass starts coming out of the die and I then hit a wall of resistance where I have to push down hard on the lever and "pop" the brass out of the die.

This doesn't seem right to me. It's happening with both 308 and 7mm08. I've reset the dies multiple times and it always happens during resizing.

Is this normal? I'm completely self taught from you tube and reading here and other places. I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

Press is a Rock Chucker and dies are also RCBS. Using RCBS kine on a lube mat.

That's a big deal. Pulling on the neck too hard can cause concentricity issues. Gotta make sure the expander ball is clean, smooth, and lubed via neck lube. You should feel resistance though.

Take it out and eyeball it just for good measure. It's easy.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes I shoot a little spray lube up and into the sizing die. Cases go in and out like butter. I too,like Imperial Sizing Wax for a case lube. That RCBS lube and pad is an obsolete mess.

As everyone has eluded to, you need to lube your inside case neck. I’ve gone to Hornady One shot and imperial size wax. I have some older wooden midway charge blocks (c.1980’s) and spray the cases with one shot. A touch of imperial size wax and they’re slicker than snot and don’t have any issues. Chafer/chamfer and get wet tumbled with Lyman case cleaner, dried and stored until needing to load. I’ll typically process several hundred at a time .

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Do you wet tumble or dry tumble? Either dust from tumbling, or even carbon residue can "lube" the case mouth enough to not really have problems ever.

When wet tumbling and using alcohol/lanolin lube I have to get a little in the case neck anywhere from every half dozen to dozen.

Appropriate amounts of car wash with wax vs just dawn can have a big effect on that as well.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Ok fellas I'm bumping this one to the top due to a situation that occurred on a mule deer hunt this weekend.

After I made this thread I loaded 25 rounds of 7mm08 to get me through the hunting season. 41gr Varget, 162gr ELDM, Winchester WLR Primers.

I bought 400 primers last year in preparation to start reloading. I have gone through about 150 of them to date.

After this thread I did 2 things differently. I started lubing the case neck by pushing the neck into my lube mat. I also didn't clean my brass with alcohol after resizing to remove residual lube.

I had 3 out of 8 rounds I had with me not go off when I pulled the trigger. Which caused a rodeo that wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the misfires.

It was 8 degrees and the gun had been outside for over 3 hours. One friend suggested that a rifle with lots of grease or lube in the bolt could cause a light primer strike, but I ejected the first round and looked at the primer and it wasn't light. At the end of the rodeo I attempt to re fire all 3 misfired rounds out-of the gun 5 times a piece and they never went off.

I don't think it was light primer strikes so here is my theory. I didn't wipe down brass after resizing, my Hand primer doesn't have a tray so I manually put each primer into the priming tool. I would have had residual lube on my fingers when I did this, not a lot just residue from rolling brass on the mat. (For the record I was unaware that you aren't supposed to handle primers with your hands)

Could I have contaminated the primers this way? I could see getting one bad primer but 3 out of 8? And I've shot over 150 primers out of this lot.

Any ideas what else could have happened? I would like to get to the bottom of this as I have a late season tag to fill and want to use this rifle.

Thanks guys.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Could be because you handled the primers with lube on you hands. That would be my guess too. Also you mention a lube mat. I am assuming you are using the RCBS lube and pad.I pitched mine many years ago because it was to easy for me to get way to much lube on the cases. And you must remove all the lube on the brass before loading it into a chamber less you want to take a chance on building dangerous pressures. When you lube the inside of the neck,you don't need a lot of lube. Don't overlook cleaning your dies either,dirty dies will lead to hard working. Sometimes during the sizing process,I'll shoot a short spray of spray lube up and into the sizing die for easier sizing. I have a friend that won't use Wincher primers. He hates them because he had to many not go off. I have use3d them off and on since 1970 and I haven't had any problems. Which brings me to yet another possible reloading problem. You might not be seating the primer all the way . If it is not seated into the primer pocket all the way,it will move forward on contact with the firing pin which lessons the force required to ignite it, hence,misfire. I hated cleaning the lube off of the brass also so I have a devoted case vibrator just for cleaning the lube off. I believe that " do not handle primers with your hands" is printed in every reloading manual. Must be a reason. I think the manual might be telling you," I told you so".

Primers are pretty darn resilient. It takes a lot of oil or something of the like to make them not fire and it usually has to be heavily soaked.

Have you shot these primers previously? It could be a bad batch of primers.

I have to handle primers regularly when seating primers with my coax press and I can count on 2 hands the number of primers I’ve had not ignite over the past 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Could be because you handled the primers with lube on you hands. That would be my guess too. Also you mention a lube mat. I am assuming you are using the RCBS lube and pad.I pitched mine many years ago because it was to easy for me to get way to much lube on the cases. And you must remove all the lube on the brass before loading it into a chamber less you want to take a chance on building dangerous pressures. When you lube the inside of the neck,you don't need a lot of lube. Don't overlook cleaning your dies either,dirty dies will lead to hard working. Sometimes during the sizing process,I'll shoot a short spray of spray lube up and into the sizing die for easier sizing. I have a friend that won't use Wincher primers. He hates them because he had to many not go off. I have use3d them off and on since 1970 and I haven't had any problems. Which brings me to yet another possible reloading problem. You might not be seating the primer all the way . If it is not seated into the primer pocket all the way,it will move forward on contact with the firing pin which lessons the force required to ignite it, hence,misfire. I hated cleaning the lube off of the brass also so I have a devoted case vibrator just for cleaning the lube off. I believe that " do not handle primers with your hands" is printed in every reloading manual. Must be a reason. I think the manual might be telling you," I told you so".
Good info thank you i've only ever used the online load data from hogden, So I don't even own a book.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Primers are pretty darn resilient. It takes a lot of oil or something of the like to make them not fire and it usually has to be heavily soaked.

Have you shot these primers previously? It could be a bad batch of primers.

I have to handle primers regularly when seating primers with my coax press and I can count on 2 hands the number of primers I’ve had not ignite over the past 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ive gone through about a hundred and fifty out of this lot of primers.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
After this thread I did 2 things differently. I started lubing the case neck by pushing the neck into my lube mat. I also didn't clean my brass with alcohol after resizing to remove residual lube.

Use Hornady One Shot. Lay 8-10 cases side by side. Spray the cases, roll them a bit, spray the other side. Then spray a quick swing at an angle down onto the case mouth/neck. Size. Done.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Use Hornady One Shot. Lay 8-10 cases side by side. Spray the cases, roll them a bit, spray the other side. Then spray a quick swing at an angle down onto the case mouth/neck. Size. Done.
Do you think I contaminated the primers and that was my issue?

seand

Lil-Rokslider
One shot is awesome. I lube 100+ at a time, stand up in a box, spray at an angle to get one side and in the case necks, tip them over and spray the other side, then shake them up.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Remember the old days when we just used graphite on a neck brush to coat the inside of the neck? No harm to the primer at all. I still use it at times .

Have you pulled the duds apart?
Could be no powder
Primers are sealed, The color you see inside them is varnish, you would have to soak them in lube for a week to have any effect