Retiring my Savage M99 .243 .... whats next?

SwiftShot

WKR
I’ve been in a dozens and dozens of gun stores in VA, NC, GA, and FL including some large ones and also academy and sportsman’s and the ONLY place I have ever seen 6.5 PRC ammo is in the Cabelas in Gainesville, VA. I’m not talking about Walmart and gas stations for finding PRC ammo. But keep believing it’s everywhere because you’ve found it at a couple places in your area.

It’s not readily available regardless of what you want to believe.
I just rolled back from Texas and Louisiana. Stopped in Vegas for a few days then came back up. Went to a ton of gun stores down South and in Vegas. I think one store in Baton Rouge I think it was Fords did not have it. Poulans Everything Store in Diboll had it. That is a small town Tractor Supply. 3 pages on Ammo seek have it, but I guess it is not everywhere. The Armory in Virginia Beach doesnt have it and they carry lots of stuff. Must be a Western thing.

OP
Bluesky

Bluesky

FNG
Thanks for all the good tips! I Found a good deal on a Browning xbolt Hells Canyon Speed SR in 6.5PRC. Pretty excited to put a scope on it and get
Comfortable. Looking at the SWFA 3‐15 and the vortex strike eagle 3-18.

VernAK

WKR
Bluesky,

It appears that you have found your rifle of choice.....good start!

THE top Alaska LGS for ammo and rifles is Granite View Sports in Delta Jct. Plenty of the new cartridges.

They get way too much of my $$$$$ but whenever I make a trip to Seward or Anchorage, there's always some goods to drop off with distant customers.

Boltgun

FNG
Glad you went with the PRC! I like that caliber a lot.

My 2cents on it:
You bought a precision rifle and caliber. You’ll be looking to wring as much accuracy out of it as possible, so you won’t want to handicap yourself. Since you don’t reload, you’ll have to settle into a bullet that your gun likes and you practice with. Who cares what’s locally available on the shelf, if it’s not the grain weight/BC you have trained with. Just order up a bunch online and be happy. There’s a great sale at optics planet on ELDM right now (my favorite).

Additionally, while I’ve heard good things about SWFA, steer clear of the Vortex Strike Eagle. Great company, but that’s buying high dollar abilities in a scope that isn’t high dollar. There’s no free lunch, and the last thing you want is poor tracking/losing zero/undetectable clicks in your new long range rig.

Good luck and post some pics!

SwiftShot

WKR
Thanks for all the good tips! I Found a good deal on a Browning xbolt Hells Canyon Speed SR in 6.5PRC. Pretty excited to put a scope on it and get
Comfortable. Looking at the SWFA 3‐15 and the vortex strike eagle 3-18.
I hope you enjoy it. I love my PRC. It is a awesome cartridge.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
I went through a similar shopping process, I bought an X bolt western hunter 6.5 prc. Take a look at M Carbo and get there $15 trigger sear spring, it makes a big difference in the trigger. Also take a look at redhawk rifles demo riflescopes. I bought a 4-16 ziess at a large discount.

Get you the "fluffy college chick" of hunting calibers....aka the trusty 30-06.

OP
Bluesky

Bluesky

FNG
Found a deal I couldn't resist with a vortex 3x18. I'll save up for top tier after I master this set up. This is a huge upgrade from ol trusty 243 with a cheap nikon 3x9. Pretty happy with it! Just have to find a time to shoot.

Attachments

• 20230510_163559.jpg
    20230510_163559.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230510_163618.jpg
    20230510_163618.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20191203_224904.jpg
    20191203_224904.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 4