Rifle Scope Eye Box and Magnification

So I know once you increase magnification on a variable zoom scope, the eye box less forgiving. I always thought this is how all scopes are until I got an SWFA fixed 10x. The eye box is very forgiving to me and makes me really notice how critical the eye box is on my 3-15 zeiss HD5 on 15x. The zeiss is also a 1” tube if that makes a difference

If I turn down the zeiss to 10x if eye box is much more forgiving but still not like the SWFA 10x fixed.

I’m considering going to the SWFA 3-15 and wondering if I will have a similarly tight eye box on the upper mag in the SWFA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the confirmation!

Let’s leave the thread right there, nice and easy answer

If you are wondering if there are variable scops that don't have tight eye boxes, then yes some are definitely better than others. Many are very forgiving.

Don't feel as though you need a fixed power to have a forgiving eyebox.

I can't however comment on the SWFA 3-15 as I haven’t used one.

OP
T
If you are wondering if there are variable scops that don't have tight eye boxes, then yes some are definitely better than others. Many are very forgiving.

Don't feel as though you need a fixed power to have a forgiving eyebox.

I can't however comment on the SWFA 3-15 as I haven’t used one.

The tough part is my top priority in a scope is that it’s holds zero and returns to zero so from what I’ve seen (haven’t looked at the maven) the better eye box scopes are off my list right off the bat

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Of the Slides known good scopes (SWFA, NF, Bushnell) the only one I have a reasonably amount of time behind is the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18.

I haven't found that to have a tight eyebox, certainly not unuable like some scopes are. I haven't seen an unusable scope for many years now, most newer designs don't seem to struggle with eye relief, atleast nothing I've used over $700ish.