Rifles

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
Im currently seeking a new lighter rifle for day trips on foot in 2nd growth timber as well as 5-15 day hike in trips for anything from deer, bear, elk, sheep, and goats.

My current rifle is a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 30-06 which I find is a little heavy for packing around all day.

I definately want something with a removable mag so that rulifs out Kimber unfortunately.

I have been considering the Tikka T3 Lite, Sako A7 and X-Bolt carbon fibre/fluted stainless. Well I guess all are in stainless Im considering since I where I hunt it will be more durable and weather resistant.

As for calibers Im really not sure yet.. .308, 270 win, 270 wsm, 300 win mag... Not sure so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also forgot to mention something that can reach out to 500 yards.

Last edited:

kickemall

WKR
Hard to beat the Tikka T3 Lite for what your describing. I have one in 30-06 and rarely use anything else.

AXEL

WKR
I have packed many, many rifles all over BC and some of AB for 50+ years and having sold off most of my collection, I now have about 40 rifles left. My personal favourite is the .338WM, then tbe 9.3x62 and the .270Win./.280Rem./.308Win. in a tie.

I do not care for most current factory models, but, IF, I HAD to carry one for my only rifle, I would choose the Mauser Mod. 12, synthetic stock, in .300WM of the chamberings you list and load 200 NPTs over RE-22 or 25. I prefer Talley screwlock QD rings/bases and irons as well with Swaro Z3-3x9.

I would carry a spare clip mag. loaded and have two identical scopes sighted the same. Not the lightest, but, the detachable mag., the fine quality and 4+1 capacity plus the practicality of this rig make it an excellent option for you, IMO. It is also available in .30-06 and the other rounds you mention.

Just MHO, but, these are FINE rifles for the $$$$$$$.

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka T3 Lite in 300WM. Very hard to beat for price and weight. But my 300 Weatherby Ultralight is my go to but doesn't have the detachable mag like my T3.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless Synthetic chambered in 270WSM and it took a Dall Sheep at 520y bang flop last August in Alaska. It was not an expensive rifle and works well enough for me and is light enough. You can spend a whole lot more if you want but the Tikka T3 Lite is a great value for a lightweight solid platform that can be improved if you wanted to or just use it straight out of the box.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Imo the Tikka T3 light is the best factory rifle for the price.

Light weight
Accurate
Synthetic/stainless
Detachable magazine
Awesome trigger

Of the calibers they offer, I would go with the 7mm mag.

OP
BCBowtech

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys...

It seems so far the Tikka T3 is the most popular choice and after an afternoon of online research (I have the time, just had knee surgery), I am really liking the Tikka... I found a guy on another forum I frequent that builds and sells custom Tikka's. Bell and Carlson stocks, fluted barrels, he also sells Scorpion Optics but I think Ill go with another Nikon. And a price tag around $1500-1600.

As for the 7mm rem mag that is another I forgot to list and it wouldnt be a bad idea really, my hunting partner shoots that caliber, so if we went out on a hunt and say one forgot his ammo at least you know you can still shoot if your partner likes ya! lol

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
I would shoot a stock Tikka out of the box before you triple the price for a gun that's already very good from the factory. IMO

If money isn't a factor, custom gun it is!

AXEL

WKR
If, the price is not beyond your budget, a very interesting option would be one of the FIERCE rifles now being made here in Canada and Nechako in Vanderhoof and PG has these in .300WM and 7RM. They seem to incorporate all of the features you desire and appear to be a "clone" of the Sako 75 action, not a bad place to be if a PF rifle is acceptable to you.

Anschutz, also has a very light, synthetic-stocked, clip mag model in various big game chamberings and their quality is beyond question, IME.

With the increase in numbers of GOOD riflemakers we now have in BC, I would and do go "custom" and my latest "geezer gun" is a much-modded Mod. 7, sts, Gaillard tube, Micky Edge, Talleys, Gen. 1 Ti bolt welded on and wearing a Leupy VX-II compact to just over 6 lbs. all up. Puts Federal Fusion 140s into .75" @ 100M and is superbly balanced.

This, was built by Mick McPhee and Mitch Kendall, for Mitch's personal "sheep" rifle and came to me inn "new" condition in 7-08. Clip excepted and perhaps in a different chambering, this is one HELL of a rifle for what you want one for. Mick, is now retired, but, there are guys here who can/will do something like this and using a Pierce Ti action, Hightech "Sheephunter" stock and Lilja No. 1, Murphy Precision Ti mounts and a Swaro Z3-3x9, you can have a 30-06 at UNDER 7 lbs.

I just spoke with my usual guy on this yesterday, except I prefer .280Rem./.270Win. to an '06, but, I am selling a lot of my remaining collection, due to age and health and this build is probably in my near future.

Again, just a few options, hope it helps some.

Hey guys...

It seems so far the Tikka T3 is the most popular choice and after an afternoon of online research (I have the time, just had knee surgery), I am really liking the Tikka... I found a guy on another forum I frequent that builds and sells custom Tikka's. Bell and Carlson stocks, fluted barrels, he also sells Scorpion Optics but I think Ill go with another Nikon. And a price tag around $1500-1600.

As for the 7mm rem mag that is another I forgot to list and it wouldnt be a bad idea really, my hunting partner shoots that caliber, so if we went out on a hunt and say one forgot his ammo at least you know you can still shoot if your partner likes ya! lol

You can grab a Tikka T3 Lite in Stainless at either Cabelas or Sportsmans Warehouse for much less than $1500-1600 (try $680). If you really want the fluted barrel you can pay a bit more for the Superlight model $900 and come out way ahead of the customized Tikka. Tikka rifles shoot really well so I don't see the advantage of paying so much more.
I would pass on the Scorpion scope... never heard of them. Much better options from well known optics manufacturers.

OP
BCBowtech

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
Well they arent that cheap here in Canada.. And getting it with the stock that I want and would be doing anyhow and having the barrel fluted it isnt a bad deal.

n2horns

WKR
Savage 111 or longrange hunter in 7mm. I have the LRH and love it and damn accurate for a factory rig. Been easily shooting out to 1k.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys...

Does the guy have a website? I would be interested in checking it out.

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
As expensive as the Tikka is getting I'd search high and low, near or far for a Sako A7. I've owned them both and currenty have two A7's. One with a soft touch stock and one in a McMillian Sako classic with Edge fill..

OP
BCBowtech

BCBowtech

Lil-Rokslider
Justin, he is located in Canada so I think you would be better finding something on your side of the border... Probably cheaper down there too..

Here's what I'd do...especially if brown bears are in the area. I'd throw an aftermarket buttpad and muzzle break on this: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-GJRTE331
You can't get anything lighter that will accurately reach out there like this. Ya don't need to pay thru the nose for an accurate rifle. Put it in a Kifau Gunbearer and you won't even notice the 6lbs.

GKPrice

Banned
Utah - I don't see that Tikka's have crept upward in price much in recent history ? Nor has Tikka changed the way they build their rifles (SAKO smiths are apprenticing at Tikka currently, if my sources are correct)

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
$700 plus dollars out the door here in Wa for a Tikka.

The Sako A7 can easily be loaded from the top. Bolt can be operated with safety on. A7 short actions are actually a short action. The soft touch stock blows away the Tikka T3 stock IMO. I got both my .270win and -06 A7 for $850. They both come from Beretta right? Maybe same barrels? Two years ago I could get Tikka's all-day everyday for $525-$550. Solid Kimber Montana's can be had for $800-$900. For $200 or less I believe the Montana and the Sako A7 are a better investment than the Tikka's.. JMHO and I've owned several in all 3.

AXEL

WKR
Very interesting post as I am interested in a Montana and I find your critique of these rifles VERY perceptive.

Here, in BC, I would not carry a rifle that one could not quickly load from the top. I also MUCH prefer a floorplate over a blind mag. setup or a clip mag.

I had one of my P-64 Mod. 70 Fwt.s in .270Win. put into a Micky Edge solid bottom stock, a gift from a friend and subsequently had it changed to accept an alloy factory floorplate with steel factory TG, just works better for me, each to his own.

I think that a M ontana in .308Win. would meet the OPs needs as well as anything and they can be found "pre-owned" and are probably the "best" factory offering in the price range.