Rimfire choices

Which .22?

• Total voters

robtattoo

WKR
For a general range-work, non serious target & very occasional hunting .22, which would/did you choose & why?

I'm literally 50/50 split right now & the cost is near as dammit a wash. I'm familiar with both Tikka & Bergara actions & they're both a massive step up from 99% of rimfires out there. I just cannot decide which I'd rather have. Both feel excellent in my hands.

crich

WKR
Oooo this is tough. I ultimately chose the bergara because my local sportsmans had one and to me it was a toss up. Shoots great suppressed.

Had a carbon bmr and I wasn’t impressed with the mags. The button on the floorplate would get pushed and not return, allowing the floorplate to slide off and dump the guts.Happened twice, Almost like the spring wasn’t strong enough to pop the button back in place. I liked the rifle overall though. Thinking on getting a tikka myself just wished they offered it in stainless.

11Justin22

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through this, got a Tikka for no other reason then a store had one in stock at a decent price. Good luck🤣🤣🤣

Trees91

WKR
I made up my mind the first time I cycled the bolt on a bmr. Rough.

Tikka is a blast to shoot and shoots all ammo pretty well. Even cheap bulk stuff shoots decent groups at 100. I'm not a tikka fan boy either....I really wanted the bmr to work out.

B14r might be a different story...but they get spendy.

I can't say about the Tikka... have not played with one..

I have been using a BMR for NRL22 and have been VERY happy with it... shoots incredible with Lapua CenterX and feels good, decent trigger and is balanced... would like to get a Tikka, just because :)... but for the price, the BMR is great!

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
But the actions are as rough as a bear's arse, the trigger is awful & the stock is made from melted down & recycled milk jugs.

I've had a couple.
You can smooth the action.

My accutrigger breaks clean at 1.5#. not sure what you've had, but the version I bought is pretty darn good.

And the FV-SR comes in a wood Boyds stock, or at least it used to.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up at T1x couple weeks ago. I have a carbon drop-in barrel coming that will be ready in a month. It’s topped with a leupold rimfire 2-7 for now. Very fun

I'm in the same boat looking for a 17hmr or 22mag but throw the cz457 into the mix.
Local gun store doesn't have any t1x's to handle.
Back to back handling of the cz vs the bmr, man what a night and day difference in the smoothness of the action. The bmr that I handled was rough, I'd say my ruger american 22lr action is smoother. Without evening handling a tikka I'd vote it over the bmr, it would have to be better than the bmr. I was disappointed in bergara.

I only have experience with centerfire Tikkas and Bergaras (Tikka wins) but in the rimfire category, I love my CZs.
My old 452s with the YoDave trigger kit shoot ridiculous groups at 100 and are surprising at 200yds.
Any thought to a used Anschutz? They can be found on the second hand market for decent money.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I considered CZ, but really liked the idea of a more 'modern' rifle. Nothing against them, I've owned a 542 & 457 & they're awesome guns (probably shouldn't have come off the 457) but I'm really digging the idea of the T1 & BMR.
I'm surprised at the guys saying the Bergara felt rough. I've handled several & they're were all 99% as smooth as the Tikka. I did make the mistake of shooting a Vudu & boy, that'll ruin you....

I hadn't even thought of Anschutz. I'm looking for more of a target orientated all rounder than a dedicated range gun.

MTtrout

WKR
Another Tikka vote but only because that’s what I have. Sorry no experience with the other. The Tikka has been super accurate with the large range of ammo I’ve sent thru it. Very enjoyable to shoot

Have a steel bmr, not picky with ammo. I would’ve bought the tikka but no one around had one in 22. I’m pleased with this gun for shooting gophers, skunks, and coons.

gtriple

WKR
For a general range-work, non serious target & very occasional hunting .22, which would/did you choose & why?

I'm literally 50/50 split right now & the cost is near as dammit a wash. I'm familiar with both Tikka & Bergara actions & they're both a massive step up from 99% of rimfires out there. I just cannot decide which I'd rather have. Both feel excellent in my hands.
I went with a Tikka because I also hunt with a Tikka in 6.5PRC. So I can practice with all of the same controls, trigger feel, and even in the same chassis. It shoots unbelievably well. Sub MOA pretty easily.