Rokstaff Takes on MTNTOUGH Backcountry Fitness Program

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 2 Day 4:

Took some good time off last week’s time.

0f64a8d8c2079544bcac8401c228c804.png

I think I will add a third round next time I do this one.

I feel like I am pretty ready for the strength phase now.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Week 2 Day 2: I sucked! It took me 62:15 to finish (including the warm up) and I felt like crap most the way through. Could have been caused by the five burritos I ate at Taco Bell on my way to the gym. Pro Tip: Don't be an idiot like Justin.....

Week 2 Day 3: No fast food for me yesterday. Workout went great. Took me 42:48 with an average heart rate of 143. I felt really good through the entire workout and can tell I'm getting stronger already.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Any kid that can read already know the words ‘suck and hell’. I think I’m ok. It’s you I just taught those words to isn’t it, Robby?

probably, but most haven't heard "suckfest"

I was pretty innocent until I met the Avery's

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Week 2 Day 4:

Took some good time off last week’s time.

0f64a8d8c2079544bcac8401c228c804.png

I think I will add a third round next time I do this one.

I feel like I am pretty ready for the strength phase now.

Matt, you're killing it man! Nice work.

I completed W2 D4 today and made good improvement over last weeks times of 16:04 and 20:43 with 2:30 400m times.

Today's times were 15:15 and 15:40 with 2:00 400m times.

Edit to add: My average heart rate was 161 bpm for 1st round and 164 bpm for 2nd round. Max bpm's were 184 and 181.

Very happy with the progress so far.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Week 2 Day 2: I sucked! It took me 62:15 to finish (including the warm up) and I felt like crap most the way through. Could have been caused by the five burritos I ate at Taco Bell on my way to the gym. Pro Tip: Don't be an idiot like Justin.....

Week 2 Day 3: No fast food for me yesterday. Workout went great. Took me 42:48 with an average heart rate of 143. I felt really good through the entire workout and can tell I'm getting stronger already.

5 BURRITOS ?! BAHAHAHA! Oh JC, you kill me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Week 2 day 1: DONE we got a little off schedule on week 2 due to our son going off to the Air Force , but completed day 2 with less difficulty than last week. It DOES get easier (but only slightly). I’m not keeping track off my time because each workout is a success if I can just complete it! I am excited to see what I can accomplish after doing this program! Keep up the good work, workout buddies!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
5 burritos and heads to the gym. Now that’s Rokslide.

Glad I wasn’t working out near him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
W2 D1, was not as bad as the first time.
ac800e597dcc03b0b8f0ad2719565e3f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m late to the party but got day 1 in the books. Those renegade rows got me at the end.
90 days of this and a proper diet can whip anyone into shape.

I accidentally messed up my timer and my kids did the warm up with me so my sprint wasn’t as fast as it should have been.

To keep record, I am starting this at 163lbs

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 2 Day 5 done.

Just good old running. Wanted to do an easy 4.5 miles at 6 mph, but...

I took my two oldest boys with me so we ended up going much faster.

#cantletthembeattheoldman

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 2 in the books. The “600” 100 calories on 6 different cardio machines. Being in at work today and only have 2 machines(treadmill and bike), I alternated every 100 calories. I finished in 39 minutes. Good rest day as my gluts were a little sore!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
480edbbbf0c86c91edf9be166c47866c.png

Day 3 is done. I’m pretty sure my legs are going to fall off tomorrow. Instead of .5 mile bike ride we went for a run around the block.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 3 Day 1:

Supersets of deadlifts and dB bench.

Then supersets of bent over barbell rows and leg curls.

To failure... so ... yeah.

I have a feeling that tomorrow morning will be rough.

Hey Roksliders, I've been talking back and forth with Robby about an article I've been working on and he/they accepted the query and are planning to post the article soon. I've title it "The Tripod of Success for Backcountry Hunters," and in it I go over what the proverbial legs of the tripod are, which is what I've come to think is a basic recipe for success in backcountry hunting. Now as a disclaimer, I am NOT the model of success; I struggle with different things and am working to refine my own habits and tactics in order to improve (as I believe we all are). In the article, one of the 'legs' that I talk about the importance of physical fitness. When I was initially talking to Robby about the article idea he mentioned to me that several Roksliders were trying out a new fitness program by MTNTOUGH called the Backcountry Hunter Program, and he asked if I'd be interested to try it and post my results along with everyone else. I couldn't say no to a guy like Robby, so here I am.

A little about me, my name's Ben, I live in northern Utah and work as a Systems Engineer for a research and development foundation. I got in to big game/backcountry hunting a few years back but to say I've fallen head over heels into it would be an understatement! I've always been very active and I try to stay in pretty good shape year round. I used to do a lot of distance running and found that stamina/endurance was kind of my cup of tea.

I just started the MTNTOUGH program today and completed W1 D1. It was a good workout for sure. I logged times of 3:11, 3:23, and 3:28 for the 3 half-mile sprints. Below is a screenshot of my timer showing how long it took me (lap 1 is the warm-up, lap 2 is the workout, lap 3 is cool down). I think the sprints weren't as bad for me as I was thinking they would be, but man the renegade rows sure wore me out. I used 10 lb dumbbells, thinking it would be a challenge but that I'd still be able to do them without too much difficulty, but I was wrong! I got through all the sets except for the very last set of 20 renegade rows; they were just sapping my strength and I was getting light-headed, so I did the last 20 with no dumbbells... Those renegade rows definitely were not the part of the workout I expected to have trouble with, and I think they took me a while (I also had to hunt for a set of dumbbells that weren't being used, which didn't help my time).

fAxNKoQ.jpg

Prior to starting MTNTOUGH, I'd been using an app called HUNT, TRAIN, WARRIOR....I know it sounds kind of cheesy but the workouts were actually pretty good. They were pretty heavily focused on weightlifting, and after a couple months I ended up doing hybrid workouts and not following their routines exactly. I needed to work in more workouts with a weighted pack since I'll be going to Alaska to work for a sheep outfitter at the end of this month. Just from what little I've seen of the MTNTOUGH workouts for this week and next, I already think that it will prepare me much better than my previous regime would have.

Alright, my long-winded intro is over. I'm glad to be here and glad to be on the MTNTOUGH program!

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
W1/D4 involved sprinting 1/4 mile with squats/lunges, renegade rows in between. 2 rounds, 2 brutal rounds on a hot day.

6d3dd026952d86d425b804cae9fa4fb4.png