Rookie Field Dressing Question

Stid2677

WKR
Curious Steve, what do you have on the bottom of your tripod that is holding the foot?

I drilled a hole in the bottom and ran a piece of para cord through,, I use this to hang weigh from to stabilize the tripod. I use rocks, my rifle, whatever I have at hand to weigh the tripod down to get a better spotter image.

Honestly someone needs to come up with an app that shows all the different parts of breaking down animals. Doing gutless, to gutting, boning, caping, rugs, all that kind of stuff. Would be pretty cool for guys to be able to jump on their phone real quick and have a step by step type deal especially if they happen to kill a bear and have never done it before and had the tag just in case. But be good for all big game someone might be able to make a couple bucks off it. Or make it for forum members only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly someone needs to come up with an app that shows all the different parts of breaking down animals. Doing gutless, to gutting, boning, caping, rugs, all that kind of stuff. Would be pretty cool for guys to be able to jump on their phone real quick and have a step by step type deal especially if they happen to kill a bear and have never done it before and had the tag just in case. But be good for all big game someone might be able to make a couple bucks off it. Or make it for forum members only

I nominate you

An app? I don't believe this is all that hard, personally... It's not rocket appliance. Worse case ontario you make the wrong cut and a taxidermist can fix it, all water under the fridge at that point.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Honestly the couple photos above showing the right cut lines was 99% of what I needed to know. Boning out a foot is all that's left in my head but I figure I struggle through it if needed. :p

An app? I don't believe this is all that hard, personally... It's not rocket appliance. Worse case ontario you make the wrong cut and a taxidermist can fix it, all water under the fridge at that point.

How many guys have posted questions when it comes to caping gutless all that stuff it was just an idea. Sorry not everyone has the perfect knowledge such as urself of doing every game species correctly. But honestly water under the fridge usually worries me,

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Great, great thread guys. Thank you all for taking the time to post the instructions and pics.

jspradley

WKR
Thanks for the info guys! Hopefully I can put this to use next week.

On a side note, do skinned bear paws looks really freaky to anyone else? Whenever I see skinned bear quarters with feet attached I think "On man that's some good looking meat HOLY CRAP THERES A HUMAN FOOT ON THE END OF IT!!!) LOL :-D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
On a side note, do skinned bear paws looks really freaky to anyone else? Whenever I see skinned bear quarters with feet attached I think "On man that's some good looking meat HOLY CRAP THERES A HUMAN FOOT ON THE END OF IT!!!) LOL :-D

Haha! It's not just you. A couple of times a skinned Bear paw found in a landfill or trashcan has led to a Homicide investigation. Until someone who knew what they were doing looked at it.

OP
209hunter

209hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Great info guys, I really appreciate all the responses!

todde1792

FNG
Thanks for the info guys! Hopefully I can put this to use next week.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My Grandfather and his partner ran a business back in the seventies up in Challis and every time they got a bear they'd place a front foot somewhere in the shop just to freak people out! Oh the times they must have had!

BRWNBR

WKR
Look what I found out hunting!!

AlaskaSpring2006236.jpg

I love this idea. I will do it, you guys just need to fund me to be able to hunt every species. So I can get the pictures and videos of course.

Bar

Banned
A bear is just an animal and I don't do anything different. Gutless...skin one side, remove quarters, backstrap and loin. Flip over and repeat. Same thing I do for deer and ek, except elk I bone it out too.