Roseburg OR, What do I need to know?

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
Well? How did the hunt go?
Hey @rootacres give us a breakdown of hunt please.

I don't have a super elaborate story for either of the bucks we harvested. This hunt was drama free. The first evening was slow, glassed all does, both whitetail and blacktail. The first morning of our hunt my dad connected on his buck hunting that same spot. Roughly 280yds, he made a good shot as his position was a tough one. The evening of the first full day of our hunt was more open with big rolling hills and grazing cattle. Spotted a shooter buck, he was bumping does around a little bit. Eventually he moved off over the top to the other side of a ridge. We eventually swung around to get a different angle on that ridge. We relocated the buck I planned on shooting, in the process we found a bigger one. . . 438yds, tagged out on our first day.

IMG_4177.jpeg
IMG_4201.jpeg

Oregon

WKR
I don't have a super elaborate story for either of the bucks we harvested. This hunt was drama free. The first evening was slow, glassed all does, both whitetail and blacktail. The first morning of our hunt my dad connected on his buck hunting that same spot. Roughly 280yds, he made a good shot as his position was a tough one. The evening of the first full day of our hunt was more open with big rolling hills and grazing cattle. Spotted a shooter buck, he was bumping does around a little bit. Eventually he moved off over the top to the other side of a ridge. We eventually swung around to get a different angle on that ridge. We relocated the buck I planned on shooting, in the process we found a bigger one. . . 438yds, tagged out on our first day.

View attachment 645098
View attachment 645099

That's awesome! Thank you. I'll admit, I've been on hunting forums since at least 2000.
I've responded to "countless" threads similar to yours. "Hey, what info can you provide" Hey, what about this?" Etc etc
It's gratifying to see the end result instead of the "newbies" who ask for advice to never be seen or heard from again.
Your buck is an absolute stud!

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
That's awesome! Thank you. I'll admit, I've been on hunting forums since at least 2000.
I've responded to "countless" threads similar to yours. "Hey, what info can you provide" Hey, what about this?" Etc etc
It's gratifying to see the end result instead of the "newbies" who ask for advice to never be seen or heard from again.
Your buck is an absolute stud!

Thanks man. I wish I had more insight to add. It's a blessing and a curse when you tag out so quick. I will say, I took the poison oak warnings, from people on this thread, very seriously. I never had issues but didnt want to find out. We came prepared but didnt have any problems. There was a ton of it out there. Good binos and glassing off a tripod, much like I did on my coues hunt, really made things easy. This was my first hunt in the PNW. The topography was beautiful.

Last edited:

repins05

WKR
You may or may not realize this …. but you harvested a great blacktail. Well above average for majority of all blacktail hunters. Nice job.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
You may or may not realize this …. but you harvested a great blacktail. Well above average for majority of all blacktail hunters. Nice job.

I am very well aware for sure. I was hoping to be successful on this hunt, that was about it. Harvesting a buck like that certainly wasn't what I expected. It's likely that I will never take a blacktail of that caliber the rest of my hunting days.

Feeegs88

FNG
Alright all, I will be going after some blacktail in the Roseburg area this fall. More specifically the last week of October, this will be on private with a rifle. Im not a stranger to western hunting but this will be my first blacktail trip. What do I need to know? What challenges does hunting this topography/climate bring that maybe other western states don't? School me please. Thanks
Bad weather helps get things moving!