RosinBag's Arizona Semi Live Mule Deer Hunt

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well another day down with my tag still in my pocket. I saw about 20 does, 2 mule deer bucks. One was a spike and the other a crab three point.

I also glassed up two nice coues bucks cruising the country a long ways away. Both good bucks, but the one was a pig. The biggest coues I have ever seen alive. About 16-17" wide, heavy and a solid 8 pointer, estimated to be about 110-115". Giant in my mind, but also 1500 + yards out and cruising the opposite direction.

Tomorrow could be last day, but could squeeze in Tuesday also, but wife will be all bent out of shape. Not the first time that has happened and probably not the last.....

Good luck to way especially since it sounds like your in a time squeeze. That sounds like one hell of a coues buck I had coupled of those sightings last year when I was in az but those things are sure elusive I guess that's why they call them the ghost of the desert

River Rat

WKR
Hoping for the best for you , Thanks for taking the time to take us along on your hunt. You've done a great job.

bohntr

WKR
Roy, how was your hunt? I saw a nice bobcat. Nice work on that predator.

Arrowed a giant 26" wide 3x3 mule deer with eye-guards (net in the 150's).........blood trailed it to a gut pile. (yup stolen) Had quite a few opportunities at 4x4 bucks in the 130-145" range.......wanted something a bit better that had appeal. Ended up switching to Coues deer, as I was seeing some toads in pre-rut. Hit one (over 100" net 8 point) dead center in the shoulder bone......arrow sticking out........seemed unfazed and continued to tend does and fight other bucks after the hit. I couldn't believe it. Saw him a few more times in the hunt, but was never able to get on him again for a shot I liked. Hunted him only until I had to leave........the mule deer episode left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, as you can imagine. I might head back out there in August to chase some of those Coues.......they're a challenge to spot and stalk! Good luck, Doug. I hope you stick a giant!

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Roy, truly a nightmare story. I can't even imagine someone doing that. Even the hungriest of men wouldn't stoop that low.

And I second the coues being tough to spot and stalk. Once they see anything out of the ordinary, they split. Those mule deer like to hang out a bit in comparison.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heading out for last day of hunting here in Arizona. Heading further south to meet Travis and hunt the day with him.

Hopefully we can turn up some bucks and put an arrow in one of them.

This may be a first for RokSlide in that two Live Hunts will merge for a day. I have never met Travis, but have been in touch with him nearly everyday since our hunts started.

shaun

WKR
Good luck guys! The close calls you guys had seperately should turn into opportunity huntin togther now will one of you put an arrow in something already haha

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well most of today's hunt is covered in Teavis' thread with his photos.

Good day hunting with Travis. 20 plus deer with 2 bucks, including a close call.

This was my last day of hunting here in Arizona on this trip.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will be driving home tomorrow. I am fairly sure giving updates on my 13 hour drive will not be very interesting.

If something interesting happens I will post it.

Something line rescuing three young attractive sexy women from a burning vehicle. Oh, and they all have self esteem issues..........

Thanks for following the thread and all your participation on RokSlide.

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks for taking us along Doug, I enjoyed it. It's really cool that you and Travis got together for a combined live hunt. Thanks to this site, these kind of things are possible

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the thread, Doug. Pretty amazing you could make those stalks dragging all of us Roksliders with you! Well done.