Rough Winter for Mule Deer ID/Wy/Ut

manitou1

WKR
Calling for another 8"-13" here the next two days with -35 wind chills.
Currently white-out conditions.
Highways closed.
Schools closed.
That darned wind really changes the dynamics with the drifting and then hardening of the snow.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Calling for another 8"-13" here the next two days with -35 wind chills.
Currently white-out conditions.
Highways closed.
Schools closed.
That darned wind really changes the dynamics with the drifting and then hardening of the snow.
it's getting critical in some areas, this is gonna hurt.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Missed the worst of the snow here, but -10 tonight and about that tomorrow night, more snow forecast for next week. I'm over the winter at this point

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

123_1.jpeg

Here's the other issue nobody wants to talk about. Big game is waaaaaaay easier to poach in the winter, especially a hard winter. This buck was poached on a friend's property recently and left to waste. Happens in the area every winter and we never hear about anybody getting busted for it.

Add trophy poaching to the hard winters and it's easy to see the direction that some areas are headed.

View attachment 520800

Here's the other issue nobody wants to talk about. Big game is waaaaaaay easier to poach in the winter, especially a hard winter. This buck was poached on a friend's property recently and left to waste. Happens in the area every winter and we never hear about anybody getting busted for it.

Add trophy poaching to the hard winters and it's easy to see the direction that some areas are headed.
Damn, that's tough to see. Rotten sunsa bitches.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 520800

Makes me sick!!!!!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
View attachment 520800

That’s my dream deer right there. So sickening. Sure do hope karma gets that SOB.

svivian

WKR
View attachment 520800

Looks like they dragged it a ways and gave up. I hope the bastard gets caught.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
View attachment 520800

Poaching in the foothills of Northern California on private property, in late fall/early winter is astounding. These ghost like mule deer and blacktail/mule deer hybrids make their way down out of the heavy snow and get into does making themselves known and present. Season ends well before they make their way down most years. I know of at least 25 BOALs that have been killed out of season in the last decade. Not one of them makes the local news.

CorbLand

WKR
Missed the worst of the snow here, but -10 tonight and about that tomorrow night, more snow forecast for next week. I'm over the winter at this point

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
After shoveling a foot of snow off my driveway, I walked in to my wife and said **** it, I am applying for that job in Arizona.

I don't know much about the rest of the state but I drove through Colorado's North Park about two weeks ago.

The snow was about as deep as I have seen up there. Most of the sage was buried, a few draws where it is especially tall were still partially exposed. The willows were largely snowed in as well.

Fortunately, many of the deer and antelope migrate out of that area but I'm not sure if they are able to walk to better conditions this year. The previously posted map shows less snow up towards Saratoga.

The elk were out in the open, seemingly doing alright.