Route 70 vs 80

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
We’re heading to CO from PA. I’ve always taken I70 but I80 is about the same travel time. For those of you who have traveled 70 & 80 traveling from the east to west or vice versa, do you prefer one over the other?

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
I believe 80 is better if you are going to the western sloops of Colorado (Craig area). I always travel 70 to the Denver area. I leave mid state Pennsylvania around 2pm and if you drive all night you will get through all major cities on 70 without hitting much traffic.

A couple years ago we left Clearfield Pa at 7pm on a wednesday night and got to Meeker around 6 the next day. 80 the whole way until western NE then down 76 to Denver then out I70 west through the mountains.

The drive over the continental divide and through the mountains on I 70 is worth the extra traffic if you haven't been through it before.

If you are starting in eastern/southern PA then it likely doesnt make much of a difference as 70 and 80 are roughly the same and you should get through most of Ohio Kentucky TN cities over night if you are driving through the night and the only traffic issue may be St Loius Kansas City on I 70 vs Omaha and Lincoln on I80

OP
S

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies!
I usually leave on wed or thurs but this time it will be fri evening. I don’t mind the ride until usually Kansas - gets pretty boring to Denver. Wasn’t sure if Nebraska or I-80 was a better ride or not.

Thanks for the replies!
I usually leave on wed or thurs but this time it will be fri evening. I don’t mind the ride until usually Kansas - gets pretty boring to Denver. Wasn’t sure if Nebraska or I-80 was a better ride or not.

Nebraska on I-80 is THE WORST PART OF MY DRIVE! I am probably just getting tired and grouchy but it seems to take forever to get through nebraska for me. I leave from Central Ohio, but have always gone I-80 clear to Western Wyoming(hunting in Idaho). If you can avoid traffic in Chicago, then Ive found that its a pretty easy drive.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever take 90/94. I think I'm going that way to north/central Idaho (from central Ohio) for these upcoming trips this year.

EastMT

WKR
90 is great, just plan on hitting South Dakota at dark, it’s long flat, but 80 mph helps. There’s a cut off that gets off the interstate and goes NW instead of dropping way down into Wyoming, we always took that for the chance to see more animals for entertainment. Highway 212, go north at Spearfish, NW at Bell Fourche. Comes out on the interstate south of Billings

Unless weather becomes a factor, I would definitely take I-80. I-70 is so straight and monotonous through Kansas. Field, field, field, sign for Jesus, field, tree, field, field, repeat. I-80 undulates along the Platte River through Nebraska. We saw a bunch of deer and a flock of cranes on that stretch last month.

WJS23

WKR
I would take 80 and the Nebraska sucks it feeling like it’s 1000 miles!

OP
S

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
Unless weather becomes a factor, I would definitely take I-80. I-70 is so straight and monotonous through Kansas. Field, field, field, sign for Jesus, field, tree, field, field, repeat. I-80 undulates along the Platte River through Nebraska. We saw a bunch of deer and a flock of cranes on that stretch last month.
Haha! You nailed it! I may just check that out. It’s only like a 10min. diff between the 2. That’s kinda what I’m looking for...scenery. I’ll have my 13yo son along too so....

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever take 90/94. I think I'm going that way to north/central Idaho (from central Ohio) for these upcoming trips this year.

You need to time Chicago if taking 80 to 90/94. If you hit rush hour you can lose lots of time, not to mention your attitude when getting through:)

tracker12

WKR
A couple years ago we left Clearfield Pa at 7pm on a wednesday night and got to Meeker around 6 the next day. 80 the whole way until western NE then down 76 to Denver then out I70 west through the mountains.

The drive over the continental divide and through the mountains on I 70 is worth the extra traffic if you haven't been through it before.

If you are starting in eastern/southern PA then it likely doesnt make much of a difference as 70 and 80 are roughly the same and you should get through most of Ohio Kentucky TN cities over night if you are driving through the night and the only traffic issue may be St Loius Kansas City on I 70 vs Omaha and Lincoln on I80

That must have been some trip. Its 25 hours drive time and that doesn't take into consideration time to stop for fuel, food and pee break. From Pittsburgh are It took us usually 30 hours when we drive straight thru to Craig.

By the way I like 80 better but I would think coming North to Meeker from 70 would be quicker.

robtattoo

WKR
Put it this way. If I don't quit drinking & start behaving properly, I'll spend eternity on I80 in Nebraska.....
Driving from TN to WY it's my straightest option, but my god is it boring. Also the first 60 miles is so badly corrugated you'll definitely lose filings & possibly a cornea.

I just take 70 when going across. when i get ot colby kansas marker 53 I turn north its one of the closest distances between 70 and 80. theonly draw back is its a two laner but theres not much ag traffic on hwy 25 in sept. theres only three small towns to slow down for. I usally stop in hayes center and stop in and say hello to Granny and the family. So im kinda partial to that route coming from florida to the moountains. Hwy 25 puts you in sutherland and its 2hours 45 min to cheyenne from there. hope this helps. also for me you avoid northen Mizzou and licoln and omaha areas. 70 all you have is topeka

Fullfan

WKR
That is the way we have been going, saves several hours. But make sure you get gas/fuel in Bell Fourche. Lame deer had both but also has a ton of drunk Indians most who are armed with rifles. Pay attention to the traffic on 212, I have seen many intoxicated drivers on that road. Long pull from PA to Idaho, most years we make it in 38 hours.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer if elk hunters take I-80 back home at least through Nebraska so I can see the racks in the back of the pickups. :D But I-80 is boring to drive as is I-90 and I-94 but lets be realistic here, if you are on the interstate then you can not plan on having a scenic tour through the Midwest, you take it for the convenience of travel and reliable pitstops. I do not envy your journey west, I only have 8 hours to my hunting location this year.