RRS CF Tripods worth the Money?

bradb

WKR
Always a tough cal as its your money!
I had a feisol with RRS leveling head and then went RRS tripod with anvil head. Both as much for shooting off as well as glassing. If you don't mind the larger apex the feisol is pretty good and I do think the leveling head is both a little easier to shoot and glass with. No it does not have the range of movement of the anvil. Are the RRS legs better then the feisol YES, enough to justify the money is a tough call. I like the smaller apex for packing purposes and its a dang good set up.

I picked up a CF tripod called the No Name from 2 Vets Sporting Goods. It was about a third of the price of the RRS. I have shot off of it quite a bit, and really like it. They have a few models now, but they are very sturdy. I'd take a look at them before you drop the coin on a RRS.

carter33

WKR
I have only had my RRS tripod with anvil 30 head for about a week now and it is definitely quality. The stability for shooting off of it is pretty impressive, had it at the range yesterday. That being said I initially thought it would be something I would be willing to take on mountain hunts and I think I was probably wrong there. It is large and not light. Obviously I knew the weight and proportions when I purchased it but sorta miscalculated.

I am planning on bringing it on a Kodiak goat hunt this September to test it in the mountains as we are getting dropped in an alpine lake and should be able to spot goats from the drop point we shouldn’t have to cover as much territory as say a walk in sheep hunt but it’ll be nasty terrain.

But for any style of hunting where you have transportation of any kind it should be absolutely awesome.

Worth the money? Hard for me to say only having it for a week but I can say I don’t regret it so far for what that’s worth.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Which RRS tripod are you looking at specifically? Only you can make the determination if the investment is worth it to you. RRS makes excellent gear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Always a tough cal as its your money!
I had a feisol with RRS leveling head and then went RRS tripod with anvil head. Both as much for shooting off as well as glassing. If you don't mind the larger apex the feisol is pretty good and I do think the leveling head is both a little easier to shoot and glass with. No it does not have the range of movement of the anvil. Are the RRS legs better then the feisol YES, enough to justify the money is a tough call. I like the smaller apex for packing purposes and its a dang good set up.
Which model of RRS tripod do you have?

I picked up a CF tripod called the No Name from 2 Vets Sporting Goods. It was about a third of the price of the RRS. I have shot off of it quite a bit, and really like it. They have a few models now, but they are very sturdy. I'd take a look at them before you drop the coin on a RRS.

I looked at the 2-Vets, they look nice. I think those guys just straight up ordered a “lot” off of Ali Baba.
Straight from China 🇨🇳. No offense, but No Thanks

I just ordered the RRS TFCT-24L. It was a huge purchase for us, and wouldn’t have been possible without that stimulus check. No way was I going to spend that check on something from China after all this crap.

Two youtube videos really convinced me that this RRS was the way to go.

I called RRS and spoke with the guy in the first video (Michael Haenel), I feel he was very knowledgeable and helpful.

There are some obvious disadvantages to ball-heads for glassing, I have an Outdoorsmans panner that I can play with on top of the Anvil 30 head if needed. RRS does make a little panner that has a dovetail on the bottom If I needed to someday.

I’m mostly a backpack hunter and I was leaning towards the little Really Right Stuff “1” series, which would have weighed in at barely over 2#.

When the tripod arrives, I’ll post up a review and some photos.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I looked at the 2-Vets, they look nice. I think those guys just straight up ordered a “lot” off of Ali Baba.
Straight from China . No offense, but No Thanks

I just ordered the RRS TFCT-24L. It was a huge purchase for us, and wouldn’t have been possible without that stimulus check. No way was I going to spend that check on something from China after all this crap.

Two youtube videos really convinced me that this RRS was the way to go.

I called RRS and spoke with the guy in the first video (Michael Haenel), I feel he was very knowledgeable and helpful.

There are some obvious disadvantages to ball-heads for glassing, I have an Outdoorsmans panner that I can play with on top of the Anvil 30 head if needed. RRS does make a little panner that has a dovetail on the bottom If I needed to someday.

I’m mostly a backpack hunter and I was leaning towards the little Really Right Stuff “1” series, which would have weighed in at barely over 2#.

When the tripod arrives, I’ll post up a review and some photos.
You didn't look at their ball heads with built in panners? They have several in the RRS lineup. Depends on how you want to use them to glass, but to lock in on an elevation and scan they only lack a built in handle. For shooting or photography work, the ball head is way easier to maneuver. I've driven by their place in Utah a bunch of times, beats that Chinese import crap any day of the week, but a lot of guys just don't have the budget for them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You didn't look at their ball heads with built in panners?

I was considering the BH-40 ball head with panner, ultimately it came down to my skinny sporter rifle stock. I will probably be putting a picatinny rail on bottom in lieu of the RRS plate. The Anvil head is just so sweet...

carter33

WKR
I was considering the BH-40 ball head with panner, ultimately it came down to my skinny sporter rifle stock. I will probably be putting a picatinny rail on bottom in lieu of the RRS plate. The Anvil head is just so sweet...

Be very methodical when you drill spots for the tnuts for a pic rail with the sporter style stocks. I have done a couple and the only one that scared me a little was on a barret fieldcraft. First tnut went in great but the second I think I went just a tad too far and was in the “foam” like filling of the stock and was worried about the tnut holding firm. Luckily so far it hasn’t been an issue at all. Zero POI shift or anything like that after installing either.

Check out the area419 install video, they use a punch and hammer to drive the tnut into the stock so you wouldn’t have to drill as far to get contact with the screw.

bradb

WKR
DSC00292.JPGDSC00292.JPGDSC00256.JPG
I have the 34. I went 4 sections for packing smaller. I am only 5'7" so I didn't need the L. No matter what we do on anything there are trade offs, you just have to decide where you want to make them. No not super light, but I did carry it in the Yukon on my sheep and moose hunt

I went for the tfc-33s. With a VA-5 head, it’s about 4.5 lbs. A bit heavier to pack but it’s far lighter than anything in its stiffness class. It’s been a game changer for using my full size spotter at 60x, and for that purpose I think it’s worth it.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Look at FLM tripods. They are very good, and some camera sites say they come very close to an RSS for about half the price.

My wife has an FLM CP34 L4 II. It is a stout tripod with very nice fit and finish. I want a CP30 S4 II for packing in the backcountry.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone order a rrs tripod recently and have info on wait time?
I backordered a tftc33/anvil-30 early April and must have got lucky, shipped a week later.

I actually really like it for Binos, takes a half day or so to get used to it but I don’t miss the pan head much. And it’s pretty sweet to shoot off, hunting pards thought I was crazy until I let them bust a few rocks at 6-800 standing behind it.

Lawnboi

WKR
I ordered an ascend a few months ago and it was in stock. Shipped immediately.

I used to think there was no way I’d spend that on a tripod. But it’s worth it. Super versatile piece that gets used a lot

I've got a tfct34l with anvil 30 head, and I love it. Shoot off it, glass, and run spotter. Mine gets a lot of use, and I feel the cost is worth it. If it got stolen tomorrow, I would order another one for sure.

If I want to grid search a area with binos I throw a panner on top of the anvil 30. The anvil 30 for me is just great for a spotter or rifle.

I did quite a bit of research before buying, and finally went with what the concensus said was the best. Kinda like swaro glass, there is no feeling you need to upgrade when you buy the best to begin with. FWIW I'm very happy I did.

Vaultman

WKR
Anyone order a rrs tripod recently and have info on wait time?

I got the Mrs. a TVC 34L for Christmas and the BH-55. It came within a week or so. Great tripod. Way more than I needed, but she uses it for photography and I get the bonus of using it for some shooting. It is awesome but it is way more than a pretty penny. But hey... American Made means something.

There are other companies coming out with tripods that are clearly taking a shot at RRS. The gunwerks revic was the 1st one I saw that looked like an oem copy. I saw another one later but can't remember the name...