RTIC Coolers.. Cheap Yeti Alternative

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
I just looked at the website. I don't think I have ever witnessed a company replicate another companys product and website like RTIC did. I think Yeti's are way overpriced, but I am asking for a yeti for christmas. I wont buy one for myself.

I see that RTIC began shipping coolers last week.. Did anyone here besides TNArcher pre-order one? Anyone got one yet?

OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
A bunch of people that ordered them on the other hunting site I'm on have just started receiving theirs.. I'm still gonna wait a while, I won't need it till the beach this spring

A customer service rep there offered this reply to my concerns:

We are aware of the lawsuit and believe it is without merit. We are seeking to have the lawsuit dismissed. The lawsuit is not impacting our operations including our expected shipping schedule. As I am sure you can understand, we cannot comment any further on the pending litigation.

If you have concerns about placing a pre-order, may I suggest you wait until we have the coolers in stock and then order at that time? We hope to have the coolers in stock for the general public in 90 days.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
A customer service rep there offered this reply to my concerns:

We are aware of the lawsuit and believe it is without merit. We are seeking to have the lawsuit dismissed. The lawsuit is not impacting our operations including our expected shipping schedule. As I am sure you can understand, we cannot comment any further on the pending litigation.

If you have concerns about placing a pre-order, may I suggest you wait until we have the coolers in stock and then order at that time? We hope to have the coolers in stock for the general public in 90 days.

When was this reply received? Just trying to get an idea of when they will have them in stock.

I pre ordered one. Hope I see it. 60 to 90 days it claims. Long wait. This whole thing feels like kuiu and sitka all over again. Except real sketchy in this case.

Last edited:
Here's my take:
1. Design patents are very easy to "design" around
2. Yeti coolers are overpriced and don't work 5x better than a Coleman, but they command the price
3. The cooler market is already getting more competitive from the other brands and Yeti will need to continue to differentiate and design new products to stay competitive or convince consumers their coolers actually ARE that much better, but every test I've seen does not make them hold ice longer unless the cooler has been pre-cooled, which will never happen in any hunting scenario for me.
4. I hope this company and several others drive increased competition in the market so we as consumers can have a great product at a reasonable price.

AZ Vince

WKR
Here's my take:
1. Design patents are very easy to "design" around
2. Yeti coolers are overpriced and don't work 5x better than a Coleman, but they command the price
3. The cooler market is already getting more competitive from the other brands and Yeti will need to continue to differentiate and design new products to stay competitive or convince consumers their coolers actually ARE that much better, but every test I've seen does not make them hold ice longer unless the cooler has been pre-cooled, which will never happen in any hunting scenario for me.
4. I hope this company and several others drive increased competition in the market so we as consumers can have a great product at a reasonable price.
Yes, competition in the marketplace is good for the consumer.
I'm in hopes that it drives the prices down to a more reasonable level.

Vince

Mark

WKR
I was tempted, but I have yet to hear from anyone that actually has one. Have they actually filled any orders yet?

Another concern I have is the way the lids sit in the photos. There's a noticeable warp in the lid. At first I thought it was just the photos. Then I zoomed in on the corners. The lid doesn't sit flat. You can see daylight. The lids are in fact warped. If the lids are warped, that's going to affect the seal. That leads to air leaks and melted ice.

Click this LINK and see if you see what I see (warped lids). Not exactly a selling point as far as I'm concerned.

fastrr

FNG
Beware...I placed and paid on August 19th. They were supposed to ship within 60-90 days. Was supposed to ship November 14th. On November 4th I checked the ship date and it was moved to December 4th. I asked why and was told that it was because of some changes made. I checked today, November 17th and my ship date is now January 1st. I would be very concerned regarding placing orders with this company.

PLEASE SPREAD THIS MESSAGE AROUND TO ANYONE CONSIDERING BUYING A RTIC COOLER.

Beware...I placed and paid on August 19th. They were supposed to ship within 60-90 days. Was supposed to ship November 14th. On November 4th I checked the ship date and it was moved to December 4th. I asked why and was told that it was because of some changes made. I checked today, November 17th and my ship date is now January 1st. I would be very concerned regarding placing orders with this company.

PLEASE SPREAD THIS MESSAGE AROUND TO ANYONE CONSIDERING BUYING A RTIC COOLER.

This is what I was fearful of, hopefully you can get your cash back of that continues, you've got more patience then I do.

If they ever do fill orders and get of the ground they are gonna sell a shot load of coolers.

TNArcher

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same boat as fastr. I just canceled my order and they are crediting my card. I might try again once they have stock.

fastrr

FNG
It's frustrating that a company makes a statement, then changes that states a few times over a couple of months. Others just need to use caution when dealing with this company.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

It's the "reasonable" part of the equation that is subjective. Obviously for some, the current pricing scheme on "great coolers" is reasonable or they wouldn't be selling any of them. For others, the price is ridiculous.

For me I believe the Coleman Xtreme is a "reasonable" cooler at a "great" price. I have one of the $700+ IRP Outdoors 200qt marine coolers with the rubber sealing lid, and used it along with a new Coleman Xtreme 120qt this year in archery elk camp (70+ degree days). Both had frozen milk jugs in them, and both kept the jugs more than 50% frozen while sitting in the back of a truck under a camper shell for 7 days at a time.

Is the expensive cooler better built.......yes. Is it heavy as all get out, even empty.......yes. But does it work better than the $57 Coleman......not by much if it does. Will it last 10+ times longer than the Coleman.......I won't live long enough to be able to tell.

Bughalli

WKR
Very interesting. Amazing price if the quality is there. I agree with others, tough to be a Coleman Extreme. Seems foolish for Rtic to copy Yeti as closely as they did. Just not necessary. Their design isn't really superior.

Someone said they were getting a Yeti for Christmas...at least buy it on sale. REI carries them now and you can use one of their 20% off a full priced item coupons toward a Yeti. I confirmed this in the store last summer. Although I still went with a Canyon Cooler. But these Rtic's are very interesting for the future.

HookUp

WKR
If I can get rtic coolers and they are the same quality as yeti I will switch to them. I keep my coolers in my boat and back of truck at times and am constantly afraid someone will rip them off. I can handle losing an rtic, a yeti not so much.