Rucking weight?

I always struggle with this. I hike a lot with a day pack but occasionally throw on some heavier weight to train. I am in my early 50's and in better than average shape but I have already had one fusion surgery and the older I get the longer it takes to recover from injury. I dont focus on weight other than occasionally packing to a good real world hunting scenario weight. I focus more on staying fit, putting in trail miles always with at least a day pack and staying flexible.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
20% of body weight for people new to it or all day efforts is a starting point. 40% seems a max, and my speed slows a lot. 40% and above, multiple trips are faster with less injury risk.

That's me, 52, and diabetic, not trying to impress/brag/lie, just trying to keep on..

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I did a few miles with this on Saturday between 9,000 and 9,800 hauling cheatgrass out of Mount Evans Wilderness. 84 lbs. Over 40% for me. 2 trips with 40lbs probably would have been faster, but it seemed like a waste of time to try to prove it since I didn't know the weight until after.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

TheHammer

WKR
I ruck at lunch for 20minutes everyday, after the kids are in bed I get a couple miles in, every morning I’m doing lunges and squats incorporated into my daily routine, mowing grass on Thursday night my pack is on for those 2hours, Sunday mornings I take the kids on “adventures” to local scenes with hiking trails sometimes I end up with one of them on my shoulders aswell and they are 58&63lbs so perfect practice for elk pack outs. I originally started at 40lbs have went up to 85.. back down to 70. At 70 I feel I’m getting a good bit of work in comfortably and not causing any issues with myself. I knew that this was my weak point and am doing what I can with the time I’m making.

Matt G.

WKR
I would do some research on weight to use. I think the thought process to go heavy as you can but if I recall Mike Easters book there is a diminish of returns around the 40 lb mark.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

roymunson

WKR
I've experienced tt difference 20 pounds can make.

trained for a while with a 40# bag of softner salt in my frame pack.

decided to up it and put a 60# bag of sak crete in there and nearly died from the difference. (75# total says the scale)

However, going back to 40 was a piece of cake.

Running and jarring on my ankle joints leads to problems for me personally, so I try to be a diesel rather than a jet engine. Keep plugging and get my heart rate up.

TheHammer

WKR
I would do some research on weight to use. I think the thought process to go heavy as you can but if I recall Mike Easters book there is a diminish of returns around the 40 lb mark.

I can assure you that if I trained with only 40 lbs. The day I hit the mountain for my elk hunt my 62lb (w/bow) pack is going let me know it’s much heavier than I’ve been training with, making the trek much more difficult.

I have a pack set up at 30 total pounds right now. It is pretty similar to my fully loaded day pack weight. It works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt G.

WKR
I am not saying not add heavier weights to training they are just a lower percentage of my total. Just looking for longevity. Would love to be doing this into my 70s. Mid 40s now.

pm07

FNG
I just started back rucking a couple of months ago. I'm starting with 30# until I can hit my time mark,which is 4 miles in one hour on road marches. Then I will adjust for more weight and longer rucks as I get better and faster.

*zap*

WKR
E-Z does it but do it.

Start at 10% of body weight unless your doing 5-10 minute sets with a rest in between, which is a great way to begin upping the weight. jmo.

pm07

FNG
My hiking pack is probably at 15 # or so right now,not counting my HPG kit bag. Just day hikes, varying from 4 to a 10 miler several months ago. Eventually I will get the weight up to 'backpacking ' weight and hit the trails with it. I have a Kifaru ZXR I have never used that needs to get dirty. Lol

Seeknelk

WKR
I would venture to say that rucking weight should or can be tied to your actual strength numbers also. If your able to squat and deadlift in the 400+# range, your core, hips and legs especially posterior chain will handle more weight over longer times with less problems. Also , bodyweight factors in too. If your barely around 200# for those numbers for 1rm then don't throw even a 40# pack on and hammer down, start lighter and maybe strength train more beforehand.
With strength there is certainly a point of finishing returns but one huge benefit of it is it is slow to build but is easy to maintain. Studies show 1/9th of the work to gain a level of strength is all that's needed to maintain it. Now I'm not positive thats totally correct but it's gotta be close.
If it's more aerobic capacity one is lacking, then longer work with lighter packs may be the best route. Long sessions in zone 2 and occasional sessions heavy and slow and less fast and furious(hill sprints or ruckings version, walking fast uphill, with the weight needed to hit target HR)
Anyway, some strength work thru the winter and summer is never bad. Strength is never a weakness.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Rucked a lot in the army. Being light infantry it was our job. If I remember correctly common pack weight was around 55lbs dry then add 8 liters of water and food, would put you 65-70 lbs. carrying weight like that all the time breaks you down. Especially when you try and go as fast as possible. For say 12 miles at a time. Often weights in some of the army schools would push over 80-120lbs depending what gear you are carrying. If you are doing this to train for elk hunting and don’t hate your knees/ back here is what I would do.
1.have a good fitting pack that is adjusted to you
2. Learn how to properly pack a ruck
3. Train with what you will carry. ( my current gear list with food and water is around 33-38 lbs
4. Wouldn’t ruck more than maybe 1-2 times a week, no running for sure, just a good solid cadence
5. Use trekking poles sooner rather than later even if it’s just one.
Cheers

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I approach it similarly to what I would running distances (or strength training for that matter). Start light and slowly work up. I'll start @ 30# for ~ 1.5 weeks, go to 40, then 50 and eventually 60# all roughly 1.5-2 week segments.

I've found that 60# is plenty heavy enough; don't want to risk injury and I've never had any issues packing meat out at higher weights.

I don't ruck year round (although I do backpack year round); typically start about 8 weeks out from hunting season. The last week and half segment I'll cut the weight back to 30#, basically a taper, just like I would do before a trail running race.

I also usually don't ruck everyday during this 8 week period (although I do hike everyday), typically ruck 3-4 times/week.

It's worked pretty well for me the last 15-ish years.

P Carter

WKR
I approach it similarly to what I would running distances (or strength training for that matter). Start light and slowly work up. I'll start @ 30# for ~ 1.5 weeks, go to 40, then 50 and eventually 60# all roughly 1.5-2 week segments.

I've found that 60# is plenty heavy enough; don't want to risk injury and I've never had any issues packing meat out at higher weights.

I don't ruck year round (although I do backpack year round); typically start about 8 weeks out from hunting season. The last week and half segment I'll cut the weight back to 30#, basically a taper, just like I would do before a trail running race.

I also usually don't ruck everyday during this 8 week period (although I do hike everyday), typically ruck 3-4 times/week.

It's worked pretty well for me the last 15-ish years.
But do you squat 400 lbs? (I say that tongue-in-cheek, based largely upon my assumption that only a small percentage of "active outdoors" people actually squat that, but if I'm wrong and you do in fact squat 400 lbs let me know!)

TheHammer

WKR
But do you squat 400 lbs? (I say that tongue-in-cheek, based largely upon my assumption that only a small percentage of "active outdoors" people actually squat that, but if I'm wrong and you do in fact squat 400 lbs let me know!)
I just loaded a filled 6.7 cummins block into the back of my truck by hand. Does that count as a front squat?? Should be 450ishlbs. I’m sure if anything a lot of these guys are just trying to maintain their bodies so they can stay able. Old injuries knocking at the door everyday, reminding us we aren’t invincible anymore. Father Time is inevitable.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don’t :). I did when I was much younger though (20’s - hanging with a bunch of college football players; those were the days!).

At 65 I’m pretty happy with squating 300 though :D