Ruger barrels - improved since the past?

I've had several friends and family members with Ruger rifles from the past that have struggled with accuracy, although I have a feeling scope selection might have something to do with that as well, so take it with a grain of salt.

I've heard that in recent years the quality of Ruger barrels has improved a whole lot. That's why you'll hear people talk about their Americans being as good shooters as their Tikkas, for example.

Anyone know anything about this? Did Ruger change their process or their tooling? Do they live up to the hype?

Stonia

FNG
I have several Ruger rifles. 3 newer Hawkeye models all shoot lights-out, couldn't be happier. I have a couple older No. 1s that don't group nearly as well, but I don't handload. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Hawkeye. No experience with the Americsn line.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

I think alot of folks run into accuracy issues by not getting that front action screw tight enough.

Warmsy

WKR
I think alot of folks run into accuracy issues by not getting that front action screw tight enough.
Yeah I found that out the hard, frustrating, pulling my hair out way for 2 years. Finally figured that out and glass bedded my Hawkeye and now it shoots great

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
I've always thought that Ruger and Savage had the El cheapo gun market cornered for poorly feeding rifles that nearly always SHOOT!
The Savage being the better shooting but rougher feeding of the two.

Stonia

FNG
I've always thought that Ruger and Savage had the El cheapo gun market cornered for poorly feeding rifles that nearly always SHOOT!
The Savage being the better shooting but rougher feeding of the two.
They're definitely a little more rough than my Sako 85, for example, but I've never had a feed issue. Their CHF barrels shoot.

ETA: 5 rounds of 236 gr Hammers in 338win mag @ 100yds. Hawkeye Alaskan.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
b087eed95bad40dcc4624173dadf0e22.jpg

jimh406

WKR
Rugers shot 1/2 MOA 45 years ago. I don't think there is a lot of room for improvement from there. Of course, some may vary.

gbflyer

WKR
Ruger’s issue is inconsistent receivers. Their investment cast process is hit and miss. They can be great but it’s risky. The cheap Americans shoot great.

SloppyJ

WKR
The Hawkeye isn't really a budget rifle. No experience with that model specifically but I'd say go for it. Bonus cause they're CRF and that will ruffle people's panties because they can't admit it's better. 😂

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Ruger bought its own hammer forge machines to make barrels. Generally, they are good. Their rifles primarily suffer from a lack of bedding. Plus, the odd angled recoil lug.