Ruger Hawkeye 30-06

I got a ruger hawkeye all weather 30-06 for elk hunting. I’m just starting to get myself outfitted for a diy hunt hopefully within the next 2-3 years. I live in a state that only does straight wall for deer so you don’t see too many large caliber rifles come in. I got it for under $800 with a box and a half of ammo included, is that a good price? Not too much info on them online. And also if anyone shoots one is there a certain ammo brand/grain you prefer?

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have experience with the 30-06 but I love my ruger rifles. $800 sounds like a fair price in todays market

MThuntr

WKR
Any brand preference for ammo for them?
Lots of personal preference falls on both the shooter and the rifle. Since it seems you're not a reloader, I'd probably grab an small assortment of 165gr to 180gr ammo to test. That is an expensive proposition so there may be something that pops up in the search option up in the corner. I tend to prefer a bonded bullet or a non-lead bullet like a TTSX but they can get expensive. Something like an ELD-X, Interlock, or Core-lokt will do the job especially when you can tuck it into the vitals without hitting the shoulder.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
As long as your barrel rifling is in great shape you picked a solid rifle. I shot my first cow elk with Ruger .308 150 grn from 80 yards. Saw what you bought - a used 30-06 Hawkeye on Cabelas site fo just over $1200. I love Rugers and have a handful of them. Agree with others who said use non-lead TTS X I like Barnes Vor-Tx, but Norma is great. I’ve never had a need to go bigger than 165 grn. Though partner shoots 30-06 and will go up to 180 grn.

Scottf270

WKR
Don't overthink it. Find a load you gun will shoot into a consistent group and go hunt. I like a bit of bullet weight as it helps with penetration. A plain Jane 180 grain will do the job.

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
I got a ruger hawkeye all weather 30-06 for elk hunting. I’m just starting to get myself outfitted for a diy hunt hopefully within the next 2-3 years. I live in a state that only does straight wall for deer so you don’t see too many large caliber rifles come in. I got it for under $800 with a box and a half of ammo included, is that a good price? Not too much info on them online. And also if anyone shoots one is there a certain ammo brand/grain you prefer?
I have the same rifle. Changed the trigger and shoot the new Hornady CX Superformance 165 grain sub moa. Shot a whitetail in November with it, performed very well. Plan on using that bullet on everything from deer to elk, bear, lion if I see one whatever.

So it is my understanding that the Hawkeye replaced the m77. I have an m77 all weather in 30-06.

You have one of the toughest rifles around. A solid 3 position safety that I likely to never be inadvertently shifted out of place if in the bolt locked position. Your rifle likely has a much smoother action than mine.

Now I shoot handloads however in my lifetime with this rifle I shot 150 factory, 165 accubond and ballistic tip handloads, and now 180 accubond handloads. My rifle without doubt shoots the 180's most accurately. When I do my part I get almost same hole accuracy at 100 yards.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
T
So it is my understanding that the Hawkeye replaced the m77. I have an m77 all weather in 30-06.

You have one of the toughest rifles around. A solid 3 position safety that I likely to never be inadvertently shifted out of place if in the bolt locked position. Your rifle likely has a much smoother action than mine.

Now I shoot handloads however in my lifetime with this rifle I shot 150 factory, 165 accubond and ballistic tip handloads, and now 180 accubond handloads. My rifle without doubt shoots the 180's most accurately. When I do my part I get almost same hole accuracy at 100 yards.

That’s awesome news to hear! I tried to read around and get an idea wether people liked them, but it’s hard to find much info especially in 30-06.

I took them not being up for sale much as a good sign, and most rifles are easily 800-900 at the lower-mid end new.

And I haven’t been able to fire it yet but the action is so much smoother than my American and it’s ejector is really great.

I’ll start with 180 grain and see how it feels, then adjust if needed. Seems to be the old standby on grain.

That’s awesome news to hear! I tried to read around and get an idea wether people liked them, but it’s hard to find much info especially in 30-06.

I took them not being up for sale much as a good sign, and most rifles are easily 800-900 at the lower-mid end new.

And I haven’t been able to fire it yet but the action is so much smoother than my American and it’s ejector is really great.

I’ll start with 180 grain and see how it feels, then adjust if needed. Seems to be the old standby on grain.
Great! I can also tell you if it's like mine and you have open groups consistently, check your action screws. They need to be torqued to spec. If not, your accuracy will suffer.