Ruger single six cylinder

dbender

FNG
I have a ruger single six with only the 22 mag cylinder. Is there an economical place to purchase a 22lr cylinder? I've heard conflicting opinions on whether or not a new cylinder has to be fitted or just drop in and use. Does a new cylinder have to be fitted, "timed"?

Vaultman

WKR
I have a single six. Bought it used. Both cylinders came with it, and only the 22lr fits easily. The 22mag fits, but it takes a special touch. They both turn and shoot fine, just getting that one in / out is tricky.
I have not tried any others.

A tight fit is probably a good thing. That gap between the cylinder and barrel can really get the ears ringing without hearing protection.

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure the cost but I believe you can send it in to ruger to get the other cylinder

TaperPin

WKR
Ruger will fit a new cylinder for not a lot. At one time it was $50 - maybe $150 now based on eBay prices? There’s a nearly new cylinder for $90 shipped.

A cylinder may or may not need to be fitted - it at least needs to be checked for timing and cylinder gap. A cleaning rod without brush slid down the barrel will hang up on a chamber if the timing is off. Cylinder gap is easy to measure with ordinary feeler gauges.

It’s probably not an issue, but lockup is also checked just to make sure the cylinder rotates enough for the lockup tab fits in the notch.

Knowing how Ruger mass produced these guns I’ll bet no fitting is needed. However, there may be slightly different dimensions used throughout the years.

Personally, I’d order one off eBay that allows returns - if it doesn’t fit correctly return it and buy another.

Good luck

OP
D

dbender

FNG
Thanks taper, I checked with ruger. They said 50 for fitment, 45 for return shipping plus parts cost. Too expensive just for another cylinder. I'll try the ebay route. Thank you