Runners - favorite socks

sacklunch

WKR
Runners, road and trail...looking for some new socks flat won't break the bank. Not that $15-30 breaks the bank, but I really need to pay on average $20/pair for high quality, durable, breathable running socks?

Ive got a few pairs of injinjin run lightweight...by far my favorite, but $$. Recently pickup uo a 3 pack of some stance performance, not bad, but not great.

Due to the combo of road/trail runs and varying climates, ive gravitated towards crew length socks, but they're proving tougher to find than running specific ankle socks.

Inputs/suggestions?

For runs less than 5 miles, I'll wear cotton or synthetic blend. For longer runs (up to marathon length), I wear 80%+ merino. I don't get any blisters or hot spots with that strategy.

Forgot to mention that I highly prefer crew length or* ankle as you mentioned

*Edit: meant to say "over"

Last edited:
Long time runner here. Ive tried a ton of different high end socks and honestly for the price have not been impressed at all with durability or breathability. A few years ago I heard a very successful ultra runner on a podcast say that he gets hot and sweaty feet and has been most successful using cheap super thin socks he got at target. I then proceeded to target and settled on Hanes x-temp lightweight performance socks.

They have an ultra cushion version that is a little thicker but I prefer the just standard version. I think they are like 12 pairs for 15 bucks so who cares if you shred them. The thing I like about them is the top panel is like a see through mesh and they breath better than any sock I've come across. For long races I still like injinjin for the added toe blister protection though.

Attachments

• IMG_6256.jpeg
    IMG_6256.jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 14
I’ve been an avid runner for years running 5k distance up to ultramarathons. I’ve tried about every sock from the cheapest to high end socks and I can’t tell the difference between any of them. I currently run in cheap socks that I get at Walmart and I’ll usually wear the same pair for 4-5 runs. All my runs are on a dirt trail fwiw.

I have a pair of Icebreaker ankle socks that I wear running most of the time. They are kind of light-to-mid cushion and are super comfortable for a 3-5 miler

Smart wool that REI sells has done me good. A few diff options but just read through specs to find what ya want.

Not too thin and not too thick.

My advice. Pick a handful of socks (only 1 pair of each type) then run in them to see which one ya like best. Then buy more of that specific sock.

Good luck & happy trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swiftwick Aspire. I like the Two version for the 1/4 crew height on trails. Different heights available. I have been happy with the wicking and the durability but they are a little warm for hot weather. Not cheap but can usually be found for about $12 or $13 per pair which seems fair for the durability.

I mostly run in the Balega hidden comfort socks. I’ve had them for probably 5+ years now and they’re still going strong. If it’s colder, I run in my Darn Toughs.

I wear my Darn Tough Micro Crew year round for everything, including running. I've been running a lot since June.

They aren't cheap, but I don't skimp on socks or underwear :)

And you can send them back for replacement when they wear out. Lifetime guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a huge runner but I generally average 10 miles per week plus lifting 3x per week. I wear Darn Tough or Bombas socks for all of my workouts. The Bombas’ have some good cushion and add a little more warmth than the Darn Toughs.

Back