Saddle versus Millenium M7

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’m sure the saddle versus tree stand debate has been hashed out a ton, but I’m just throwing this out there for anyone whose got an M7 ultralight stand.
I’ve been thinking about getting a saddle, but I’m turned off by the cost and potential comfort that a saddle brings. I’m a long time user of cheaper hang ons that typically weigh 15-20 lbs. When I saw the M7, to me it seems like a great alternative. I hunt whitetails in Nebraska and eastern Colorado mainly, and like to be mobile.
Anyone with experience with both? Which do you like more and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
Ive used both a saddle and several treestands similar in size/weight to the m7 ultralight (lw assault, novix helo, plus a slew of older lightweight aluminum and steel stands), so no experience with that particular stand but I think much will translate directly. I’m 6’3” and 200lb in case thats relevant for you to compare.
Im fidgety and have a hard time sitting still. Restless knees, etc. so I like some of the small stands because I can alternate between sitting and standing. I actually used a climbing harness for a while just so I could hang a bit and treat my stand as a big saddle platform, and usually wear my saddle now even if I use the stand—some trees just lend themselves better to one or the other, so I still use both. I dont think a saddle is any less comfortable per se, just doesnt allow me as much fidgeting options. I prefer the saddle if Im exploring or for a shorter targeted sit, prefer the stand if its going to be a long sit. The 9lb stand adds about 6lb to my kit and is a bit more cumbersome to carry. I have found all the aluminum stands like that construction that Ive used to be fairly loud in cold weather and prefer the more solid feel and quietness of the cast stands if you can stomach the extra $100 in cost—the novix helo would be similar in size and weight to that stand.
Fire away if you have any specific questions.

Felix40

WKR
I’ve used both and I like my M7 a lot more. The only thing I don’t like is the stupid bracket they use.

The saddle was uncomfortable for me, too hard to add or remove layers, and too hard to shoot out of because it requires a tree with less branches.

zkutz1

FNG
If you’re looking to stick and move for shorter sits, the saddle would make sense. If you’re looking to be mobile for longer sits or a little more comfort, I would go the M7 route. I’ve always used cheap tree stands for transition spots where I wanted to do a last minute sit during the rut with it already set up. Half of them would get stolen anyway

Lowg08

WKR
I have went from full time saddle to small hang ons. I have two m7. I much prefer to use the stand. Sit or lean when I wanted. I actually prefer to leaning against a tree much more than facing it.

Long Cut

WKR
7E31F0E1-1224-4D66-B21F-33F30490E5EC.jpeg

I’ve tried them all. I’ve been a “mobile” deer hunter before it was cool, hunting strictly public for nearly a decade.

5’11 195# Size 12 boot hunting mainly GA

My Beast stand has been bar none, my favorite treestand ever. Weights 7# and bites into trees like no other treestand I’ve used.

The 6-10# treestands with ultra lightweight sticks (think 1-1.5# per stick) with climbing aiders will typically weight 9-14# fully setup and get you 18-25’ off the ground.

I’ve tried the Sit Drag DIY Saddle, Tethrd, H2... with various platforms. I found my knees and feet couldn’t handle it. I’d constantly move side to side to keep my legs from going numb. I’d get busted more in a saddle than a treestand. Trying to shoot a bow in a saddle, especially off your weak side is extremely challenging and MUST be practiced.

Overall I feel that saddle hunting, like extremely heavy arrows, are just a temporary fad.
The ultra lightweight hang ons and climbers provide a better experience all around than any saddle setup I’ve ever tried.

I hope this helps.

Long Cut

WKR
12238CD0-D86A-42B3-97F9-84F6052FEE5C.jpegDD4898B8-234F-4D8E-9DF3-7F57734A89F0.jpeg

Beast & the LWCG .75 are the top 2 ultra lightweight stands I’d recommend if your budget allows.
Novix & XOP for more budget oriented hunters.

The LWCG Sidekick has been my favorite mobile bow holder I’ve used, third hand also makes a good mobile friendly boy holder.

Pwalk220

FNG
I’ve tried both and honestly am torn between the 2. I personally don’t think one is better than the other, I’d prefer to say it’s extremely dependent on where you hunt and the situation. I spent last year in a latitude saddle exclusively and loved it. With that said I made the switch solely because I have some public land spots I bike back into and need hip boots in some areas to access. A stand and all I need was way too cumbersome pedaling back in whereas I can wear the saddle and have everything I need in a small backpack. Short distance hang and hunts I’m all for a pinup with a good set of light sticks. Like a rifle to me it’s never a bad thing to have various tools in your hunt arsenal, I can kill a deer with a 30-30 but a 300prc is fun too lol. Either way as long as your in a tree and having fun that’s all that matters to me!

NYSKIER

WKR
I’ve used both and I like my M7 a lot more. The only thing I don’t like is the stupid bracket they use.

The saddle was uncomfortable for me, too hard to add or remove layers, and too hard to shoot out of because it requires a tree with less branches.
I second the layers part but don't agree with the less branches. As a lot of people have replied I think it's situational. When flying I can bring my saddle and it takes up almost no room. I favor the saddle for short sits because I feel setup is easier however people will go both ways on that. It's all about what you get used to, what types of trees you'll be hunting, and duration for the sit in my mind.

Long Cut

WKR
I’ve tried both and honestly am torn between the 2. I personally don’t think one is better than the other, I’d prefer to say it’s extremely dependent on where you hunt and the situation. I spent last year in a latitude saddle exclusively and loved it. With that said I made the switch solely because I have some public land spots I bike back into and need hip boots in some areas to access. A stand and all I need was way too cumbersome pedaling back in whereas I can wear the saddle and have everything I need in a small backpack. Short distance hang and hunts I’m all for a pinup with a good set of light sticks. Like a rifle to me it’s never a bad thing to have various tools in your hunt arsenal, I can kill a deer with a 30-30 but a 300prc is fun too lol. Either way as long as your in a tree and having fun that’s all that matters to me!

Out of curiosity, what mobile treestands have you personally tried and used?

While I do agree it’s a lot of personal preference, I do feel it also depends on what equipment you’ve tried.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I used an M7 a lot last year. Like Macintosh, I most often use a saddle rather than a harness even in stands. Most of my use with the M7 was on planned all day hunts. The ability to sit for a while and use it as a platform with the saddle was really nice. It's about 4 lbs more to carry than just a platform. The bulk is a bigger issue than weight, but on a long hunt, it's worth it to me.

I'm going to play around with a Lil Ambush stand from Out On a Limb for the same use and see how it works.

The M7 has several irksome things that I may end up modifying but it's useable as is.

Pwalk220

FNG
Out of curiosity, what mobile treestands have you personally tried and used?

While I do agree it’s a lot of personal preference, I do feel it also depends on what equipment you’ve tried.
Oh man. I’ve used abunch of different ones from the old gorilla silverback lites, to the m7, lone wolf alpha stand and stick set to recently the lone wolf custom .5. There’s always a compromise with either in my opinion like I said. If I’m private land I’ll set stands and hunt them. If I’m public or on a trip outta state I’m going saddle. I plan on taking the saddle with me this year to Wyoming. There’s a chance to hunt water holes early and in that situation a stand just doesn’t make sense. I also made the switch to timber ninja sticks which I wish I did earlier.

Kirby86

FNG
The bracket system on the m7 is awful.

The batwing bracket on the novix/xop/LWCG/Beast stand and 90% of the saddle platforms makes a huge difference.

Millennium also fails to mention the bracket in their weight.

I hybrid hunt out of a .5. I put foot rests on it (Novix) and I run the 22 inch seat post and it’s made a huge difference. Did multiple all day sits from it as well, but there are just some times where a saddle platform is necessary. Other times sitting is better. Having both in one allows for the most flexibility.
3e8aeddb2d4e7ad9d43ded2f14bfa104.jpg

grfox92

WKR
I would only recommend one of the Cast Aluminum stands for a mobile hunter. Lone Wolf, XOP and the likes.

Stands like the M7 will eventually make noise when you don't want it to.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I use em both, am more comfortable for longer periods in a XOP vanish than a saddle. I like not having to carry a stand through thick woods and I even have a set spot on my property dedicated to using a saddle because i'd be pretty exposed in a stand on the front of that tree. My saddle is my safety harness for stand sits anyway.