Salt Lake City

bjp9527

FNG
I'm new to hunting, but not new to Utah. So I can't compare hunting opportunities very well (I imagine WY and MT are much better), but here are a few thoughts about living in the SLC area:

It really depends on what you're used to. The major Salt Lake and Utah County metros are extended suburbia that goes on for miles, but not a large "downtown" area that's truly urban. If that's the feel you're used to it's a very pleasant area. If you like more spread out and rural, it'll feel very crowded.

One thing that's different here, is that home prices don't drop off very much as you get farther away from city centers like they do in most places. So that, even in a lot of the smaller towns a house costs almost as much as it would 10 minutes from downtown SLC. House prices are not quite as high as Denver, but be aware that ANYWHERE in the state you'll be looking at prices close to buying in the middle of the Denver metro

bjp9527

FNG
As far as hunting goes, there is the OTC bull elk hunt, which is very crowded. But within a few years (this will be my third season applying) we've been able to get enough points to start a rotation going, so we can also go on one other hunt each year with better harvest odds

For example this year I've got 1 in 1.2 odds of drawing cow elk tags, next year similar odds for drawing antelope, and the year after for buck deer - all in units with high harvest rates.

That's assuming point creep doesn't ruin things (I haven't been at this long enough to know how fast that changes). And it's looking to fill freezers, not looking for trophies.

Hope that's helpful. Compared to other states that might sound rather paltry, but it should give you an idea of what to expect 🤷‍♂️

roadhntr

FNG
About a week ago I was a willing participant of the Mormon 500 which extends along I15 from Spanish Fork to Ogden. Holy Mary Mother of God those folks drive wild.
Apparently you haven't been to Mississippi. Utah has nothing over those in the SE.