Santa Fe NF - New Mexico - MVUMs?

Crawfish

FNG
A few weeks ago, I started a thread on the AT regarding travel/camping restrictions for an upcoming (sept 1-15) elk hunt in unit 6a that my group was very lucky to draw this year. I received some good feedback, but still have several concerns. Therefore, I'm posting here in hopes that a rockslider might be able to shed some light on my questions. My concerns are specifically in regard to the new Motor Vehicle Use restrictions recently (2013) imposed by the Santa Fe NF.

The Motor Vehicle Use restrictions seemingly have closed many of the roads open to travel only a couple of years ago. The only place you can currently find these restrictions is on the face on the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs), which are only available online (not for purchase) or at a SFNF office. None of the other most recent editions of commonly available maps (e.g. The SFNF map, Trimble map, quads, etc.) reference, in any way, these new limitations on road use, or other restrictions which are referenced on the MVUMs. One of the most concerning limitations to me is the designation of "camping corridors"; on the MVUMs. Although it is not clear on the map -- which, again, is the ONLY place these regs are posted -- it seems the NF has designated portions of a few roads within the NF from which dispersed camping is allowed. As for the other non-designated roads, apparently, you can not set up camp next to your truck. However, apparently, you can pull you truck on the side of any road, park it, and go hunting for a few days. But you can't park that truck, pull the tent out of the back of it and walk 100yds into the forest to set up camp?? I understand the idea of not allowing the truck to go off road to set up camp in certain areas, but I'm confused as to why one can't just pull over on the side of any road (not into the forest) and set up camp from there. I've contacted the SFNF headquarters, via phone and email, for clarification, and haven't received a response. I also contacted 3 of the ranger districts within the NF and couldn't get a straight answer from them. A couple of them seemed to be confused, themselves. Furthermore, Santa Fe NF's website's camping section makes no reference to any rules aside from the standard "leave no trace". You would think if such camping restrictions were in effect, at a minimum, they would have posted them there. My concern is, of course, if I set up camp in the wrong location, will they ask me to move? One of the confused ranger districts advised me that we would not be asked to move but rather advised of the regulations and asked to set up camp elsewhere next time. Another district simply advised that camp could only be set up next to your truck within the "camping corridors" identified on the MVUMs. Another admitted that you need a magnifying glass to ID these camping corridors on the MVUMs as they are ID'd only by tiny dots next to the road on the map. Another didn't know what I was talking about when referring to the MVUMs.

When looking at any map other than the MVUMs, Much of the NF looks like a spaghetti bowl as roads (most 4wd only) are between/on top of every ridge. However, the MVUMs exclude many of these roads (I think around 80% of them). This is critical in my scouting which, since I'm 1000 miles away, can only be done via google earth, etc.. I'm, of course, not going to identify a water hole on an "open" road as a potential hunting location, in fear of having someone drive up on me during the middle if a hunt. If the roads said to be closed on the MVUM's are indeed closed, many of the water holes are what I consider to be huntable as they are located on "closed" roads. However, if no one observes the rules of the MVUMs, and the SFNF doesn't enforce these rules, in my scouting I would have to consider all roads not included on the MVUMs as "open", and assume that anyone at any time could drive down them.

In light of the above, my questions are -- to anyone in the know on the apparent new SFNF regs -- as follows:

-Are the new MVUM restrictions in the SFNF observed and/or enforced? Are signs/gates up at the entrance of roads that are closed?

-Can I set up camp alongside any open road without worrying about being told to move? Are the camping corridors identified by signs?

I realize the answers to the above questions might not be as simple as "yes/no", but hope the questions are a starting point for anyone generous enough to attempt to provide some clarity to my confusion.

As you have likely surmised, I would very much appreciate any guidance.

Please feel free to PM me with any information you feel would help point me in the right direction. If you'd rather talk about it over the phone, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone #.

Call the Santa Fe G&F office is your best bet. Take the officers name with you so if there are any issues you are covered. Camping is open as long as it is not posted. Forrest service is in charge of closures to OHV. Was up in 6A last night very green and pretty with lots of elk tracks. Have fun wish i could help more but I don't hunt that unit.

I put in every year there yes there are signs once your on the forest roads however most ( where I go) is totally closed off w poles so only hikers or horses can pass through I think their reason for the new reg is so some jackass doesn't pull of and make a new camp ! Also from what you said it sounds like worst case scenario they inform you of the regs not the worst? I'd say you should be safe to camp where you want once again I don't know whereyour going but where I go in there's camps all the way in up within 200yds of the gated entrance hope this helps good luck!!!!!!

Back