Savage customer service frustration

Bobbyboe

WKR
I’d like to share my recent experience with savage and also vent a little. In early February I purchased a new Stevens 301 20 gauge for my son’s first turkey hunt. After I got home I remove the rail to clean the oil from the rail and screws. After I got it all cleaned up I put blue loctite on the threads and set the torque wrench to 20 inch pounds. I go to tighten the screws and one of them strips out the hole.

First off, wow, how does a screw strip out a hole at 20 inch pounds? So, I get on the phone and call the warranty department. The guy I spoke to was great. He provided me a shipping label and said the repair should be straight forward, as they will just re-tap the hole. I get the shotgun all packed up and send it out.

Fast forward, I attempted to call savage to get an update on how long the repair will take. I call several times and get an automated answer stating something along the lines of, due to high call volume please sent an email through the online customer service link. The line then hung up. I do as instructed and 7 days later still no response. Since savage wouldn't reply back, I called them up. After quite a long wait I finally get in touch with a person. She looked up my warranty repair and it hasn’t even been reviewed yet by a gunsmith. To add, she said once the gunsmith gets the firearm the average wait time is 4-5 weeks.

At this point I am beyond frustrated. First, how the heck does a screw strip out at that low of a torque level? But, a drill and tap repair should only take 10 minutes tops. Even easier would be to place a new barrel in the box and ship it back. Now I’m seriously concerned my son’s shotgun may not be ready for his spring turkey hunt.

Let me know, is my frustration misplaced? How would you handle this situation with the hunt being 5 weeks out?

Marble

WKR
I think you should just be patient. I would want it back ASAP also, but understand if you get on their bad side it could take longer. Since COVID, customer service has been miserable.

I stripped the same hole on a savage 17HMR. They didn't fix the screw hole, they replace the body of the entire receiver. Same serial # and everything. When metal like that is soft and gets stripped out, it usually does damage just beyond the hole so a larger hole needs to be drilled/tapped etc. Imagine having one hole needing one size of screw and the other needing a larger screw.

It will work out...