Saw recommendations

pirogue

WKR
Looking for a lightweight saw that I can use for bone and firewood.
You’re asking in “The Lightweight Zone”, where most debone and don’t pack out bones, or pack extra weight to cut bone, and then pack out the extra, unnecessary weight of said bone. But for wood, a Silky.

Hoffy

FNG
Consider looking in "free gifts" that conservation/hunting organizations give out for small donations periodically. I got mine from RMEF. They're usually cheap and not the fanciest things ever, but they're usually pretty small and light if you're looking for something simple and packable.

Divide93

FNG
I have had more saws than you can shake a stick at! Never had a silky yet, though! My favorite right now, is a stihl I bought several years ago at the local tractor supply. Awesome little saw!

hiker270

WKR
Silky, I have 3 different model Silky's and they stay sharp and cut better than other brands I have used.

Beendare

WKR
I pack one of those small Silky’s around bowhunting as sometimes I find a spot to brush in and set up a blind Or trim some branches for my saddle.

I stopped using a saw for animal processing decades ago- no need

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Silky saws are nice but in my opinion sort of suck at cutting bone. I much prefer my Wyoming saw for any bone cutting. If I’m just cutting poles or wood, a silky is great though.

Bert01

FNG
if you have to do any real cutting look at the Sven-saw, you can also get bone/meat blades for it. We use them backpacking and they are pretty sweet.

I really like the Mini Dandy saw. I have used it for years and years on wood and all kinds of animals. I carry one in my pickup all the time as well.
1711476754900.png
1711565840892.png

Last edited:

Djacker

WKR
Silky saws are nice but in my opinion sort of suck at cutting bone. I much prefer my Wyoming saw for any bone cutting. If I’m just cutting poles or wood, a silky is great though.
I wasn't impressed with my Silky cutting bone either. I used it to skull cap 2 moose last season. Definitely needs a new blade.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I wasn't impressed with my Silky cutting bone either. I used it to skull cap 2 moose last season. Definitely needs a new blade.
exactly, for that stuff and hacking through leg bones and ribs a wyoming saw is much better. I keep silky saws in my boat and snowmachine but they are just for wood, in my moose hunting bag I have a wyoming saw.

GotDraw?

WKR
Take a look at the "Bob Dustrude" folding saw. Lightweight, stows small and designed so you can use the full length of the blade stroke w/o limit, unlike many folding saws. Comes in different lengths. Blade is replaceable. Love mine.
Bob Dustrude Saws