sawyer mini and platypus?

Anyone tried to use the sawyer mini inline filter with a platypus big zip and hose? Could you cut the platypus hose and install the mini for inline filtration from the big zip? Thinking about reworking my water filtration/ storage system. I currently use a pur hiker but would like to use something smaller without having to buy a new bladder as well.

colonel00

WKR
Yep, got it right here. Not the best pics but it seems to work so far with fairly limited usage.

20140430_182700.jpg

20140523_184604.jpg

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep use it all the time. Great setup I use the plat as my dirty and filter into my camelbak or throw the sawyer inline. works great either way.

Shrek

WKR
So you just fill up your bladder with dirty water and filter as you drink?

Works great ! I'm using the squeeze filter with adapters but I bought a mini to try. If you put the filter close to the bite valve you loose less suction to the hose.

Attachments

• IMG_20140528_133500.jpg
    IMG_20140528_133500.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
how hard would it be to filter water into a different container? I.E. put water in my jet boil or a water bottle. Could you use it like the squeeze filter?

Joe

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, I can just open the bite valve and water will flow if lower than the bladder or if the bladder is squeezed. I also have some quick disconnects that I can install in the tubing if I see the need so I can quickly detach the filter and use it with a squeeze pouch or in some other manner.

Shrek

WKR
Just lift your pack higher and give it a squeeze and it gravity feeds fine for me. If I'm in a hurry I squeeze the pack. It takes a minute or two to fill 32oz pot generally. If the bag is mostly empty it will need to be squeezed. It's just too easy.

littlebuf

Banned
So you just fill up your bladder with dirty water and filter as you drink?

thats the deal breaker for me. great size and system but i hate pulling my bladder out to fill it, and with dirty water to boot. with the sawyer squeeze you can back flow into your bladder filtered water with an adapter and never have to take your bladder out of the pack, thus saving time and unpacking. can you do this with the mini?

littlebuf there is no reason you wouldn't be able to. Just add a short section of bladder hose on the discharge end of the mini and put a male QC on there to plug in where you would with the squeeze. The mini comes with a squeeze bag and syringe

littlebuf

Banned
littlebuf there is no reason you wouldn't be able to. Just add a short section of bladder hose on the discharge end of the mini and put a male QC on there to plug in where you would with the squeeze. The mini comes with a squeeze bag and syringe

gottcha. that IMO is the way to go as far as refilling in the field. much simpler than unpacking in the middle of the trail

colonel00

WKR
The mini comes with a squeeze pouch so I would imagine that you could use it to refill a bladder. I would just wonder how well it would do if the bladder was under was compressed and under pressure in the pack. I will see if I can set up some tests.

littlebuf

Banned
works well with the standard squeeze. plus then you dont have a filter hanging off your tube. that i think would bug the crap out of me

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Once you go gravity youll never look back Squeek Ive pumped filters for years. now that Im spoiled I cant imagine another single stroke =)

colonel00

WKR
I can see the hesitation to pull out a bladder if you have it in the "standard" location in a Highcamp or Timberline. I plan to run with it in a wing in the Nomad so it will be more accessible. If I get some time, I will try to get a video of how I envision this all working for my trips this year.

I use to use the sawyer filter but after one time out of some nasty silty water it hardly works. The customer care guy had me back flush several times and soak in white vinegar with little help. It's garbage and they wouldn't warranty for the so called "million gallons". I'm running the MSR gravity filter and having much better experience. I believe you could use it like above. I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for the pics.

Jake

littlebuf

Banned
I use to use the sawyer filter but after one time out of some nasty silty water it hardly works. The customer care guy had me back flush several times and soak in white vinegar with little help. It's garbage and they wouldn't warranty for the so called "million gallons". I'm running the MSR gravity filter and having much better experience. I believe you could use it like above. I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for the pics.

Jake

what sawyer did you have? theres several