Sawyer mini users

jmez

WKR
I bought one of these to try inline. Not interested in any kind of squeeze or gravity system. Was going to put it in last night but the shoulder straps on my pack will be a problem. Using a Stone Glacier, the nylon on the shoulder straps is high. I've read you want the inline close to the valve. In order to work with my pack it will need to be quite a ways from the valve and pretty close to the bag. Will this be an issue for those using it this way?

ab51ec84f694f151bb4408e9186f300f.jpg

Where mine rides

I have the SG Sky 5100 pack and have the mini in-line about 12" from my bite valve. The filter rests on the shoulder pad pretty well. I wouldn't want it too close to the bladder as the bladder goes in between the frame and the bag. When your bag is full and thereby pressing on the bladder/filter, the filter could protrude through the back and it would more than likely bother you. Also, with the filter close to the bladder, if you pull the bladder out frequently it would seem like it would tend to come off the hose(s) by pulling the bladder in and out.

Put the filter where it works best for you as I'm unaware of any reason to put it close to the valve.

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
One reason NOT to put it outside of the bag (close to valve) is cold weather. I have had my bite valve and hose freeze many times, but have never had a problem with the bladder inside the pack. My sawyer rides directly attached to bladder, no problems so far.