WTS Scammed by K98!

Got completely scammed on a scope purchase by K98...He sold me a new Athlon Midas Tac scope, gave me a fake tracking number, said in advance that the postal service was having technical difficulties and that my tracking number would probably not show up but not to worry , then said he didn't have a postal receipt, might not have a tracking number, then 4 days later he said he might have accidentally have sent it to a wrong address but that he went to the post office and straightened it out and that they were going to reroute it and to be patient.I asked him how he did that when he didn't have a tracking number or a receipt. When I finally called him out on everything he ghosted me.
He had responded to my WTB ad for a Athlon scope and before I purchased the scope I had him take pictures of it with the box with a piece of paper with his name and the date and time and he did it right away which shows me that he actually had the scope.
I just wanted to warn everybody about K98!

It sucks because I've done dozens of flawless transactions on Rokslide and everybody is really cool and honest for the most part.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I think society has reached a point where advertising your willingness to exchange money for goods online is no longer wise. The dead beats are too numerous.

Got completely scammed on a scope purchase by K98...He sold me a new Athlon Midas Tac scope, gave me a fake tracking number, said in advance that the postal service was having technical difficulties and that my tracking number would probably not show up but not to worry , then said he didn't have a postal receipt, might not have a tracking number, then 4 days later he said he might have accidentally have sent it to a wrong address but that he went to the post office and straightened it out and that they were going to reroute it and to be patient.I asked him how he did that when he didn't have a tracking number or a receipt. When I finally called him out on everything he ghosted me.
He had responded to my WTB ad for a Athlon scope and before I purchased the scope I had him take pictures of it with the box with a piece of paper with his name and the date and time and he did it right away which shows me that he actually had the scope.
I just wanted to warn everybody about K98!

It sucks because I've done dozens of flawless transactions on Rokslide and everybody is really cool and honest for the most part.

Honest question: do you think the photo could have been faked?

The answer no matter what the OP thinks is yes, it was faked. Photoshop is so much more advanced than people realize now. It started as a real picture of the item, somewhere on the internet. But these WTB scammers don’t actually have the item. Same scam almost to the letter as what happened to me here, probably the same shitbird on the other end. Same. Exact. Scam.

Sorry to hear it OP.

Absolutely. The other option; buy a used scope; go all over the interwebz looking for those that wtb; scam multiple people with the same item. Wouldn't even need PS at that point. Seems plausible.

After I realized it was a scam I blew up the picture an examined it in great... It looked totally real! But as some of you are saying, Photoshop is so good these days. The thing that doesn't make sense is that when I asked for the pictures with his name on a piece of paper he sent it in less than 2 minutes. Seems like it would take longer than that to Photoshop something?

He probably had it ready with his name on it. That's easy to anticipate. I usually send "proof of life pics" with something related to that person that I would not have known prior to our interaction. Their screen name is a good start.

Bummer. I had a guy fake a note awhile ago but something sounded alarm bells and it just didn't add up so I passed and messaged a mod to check the IP address. Turned out it was a scam.

Bummer on this one is the post office technical difficulties part. I'd fall for that. I ship from a post office in a town of ~400 people and spotty cell service. Their server is frequently down, or they can only take cash, or it's 4:50 and they're packed up and they closed out the system so they'll accept stuff but they can't scan it... Fortunately I've never had anything take more than 2 days to go live in the system though and it almost always goes live later that evening when it hits the local hub.

Can’t understand why folks won’t insist on a video call with the ‘supposed’ seller holding the item!

Can’t understand why folks won’t insist on a video call with the ‘supposed’ seller holding the item!

I’ve done so many transactions and never once been asked for FaceTime. Although not being a scammer I would happily oblige.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On another forum sometime back, there was a scammer that got busted. There's a website or an app available for free that will break down the picture - sort of looks like thermal view once the program dissects it, but it highlights anything that was altered. And it works, same deal where guy put a piece of paper on top of the item with Photoshop.

No idea what the program/website was.

After I realized it was a scam I blew up the picture an examined it in great... It looked totally real! But as some of you are saying, Photoshop is so good these days. The thing that doesn't make sense is that when I asked for the pictures with his name on a piece of paper he sent it in less than 2 minutes. Seems like it would take longer than that to Photoshop something?

Sounds like he really had the scope and the pics were real. He just didn't send it to you

Karma will get him

On another forum sometime back, there was a scammer that got busted. There's a website or an app available for free that will break down the picture - sort of looks like thermal view once the program dissects it, but it highlights anything that was altered. And it works, same deal where guy put a piece of paper on top of the item with Photoshop.

No idea what the program/website was.

Back