scope covers?

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
New hunter shooter here.
I live in BC Canada…. on the coast. Lots of rain.
Just picked up a Win Model 70 EW in 270wsm. Scope is a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10X44 moa

I hope to not be a road hunter for 90% of the time. I love to get out and walk.

Do I need scope covers?
If so why?

What kind work best? Why do they work best?

Thank you all for your valuable insight.

I always use scope covers in the field whether is the neoprene cover or the plastic butler creek flip caps. Adds a level of protection to that hard earned glass and will keep the elements off the lens for when you need to pull the trigger. My vote is always yes especially because they weight next to nothing.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I have used both Butler Creek and the bikini style. I prefer the bikini style in wet brushy conditions as they will keep the lenses cleaner and drier. Tie the bikini style on the scope with a zip tie. Won't lose the cover that way. Learned that one at the Sportsmans Warehouse in Anchorage. Seems that the hunters in Alaska have some adverse conditions periodically.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always have scopes covers here as it rains a good majority of the season in this area. Used the butler creek covers for several years and they failed me one too many times. Then went to a bikini cover and it always worked but was not a fan of it so had my leupold retrofitted to accommodate their own covers and have not looked back.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The Leopold covers are the best I have used by far. They are expensive, so I've been slowly switching out the shity plastic ones. Like Ross, I've had them fail a few times too.

Probably won't help with a Vortex scope though.

Always have scopes covers here as it rains a good majority of the season in this area. Used the butler creek covers for several years and they failed me one too many times. Then went to a bikini cover and it always worked but was not a fan of it so had my leupold retrofitted to accommodate their own covers and have not looked back.

how have the butler creek plastic covers failed you? I've used them for years on multiple rifle and never had an issue. Got drug on the ground behind a four wheeler for half a mile one year in the snow and came out fine, i was impressed

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The butler creek units leaked on me several times. Can't say why or how but they did so I went with another option.

gelton

WKR
how have the butler creek plastic covers failed you? I've used them for years on multiple rifle and never had an issue. Got drug on the ground behind a four wheeler for half a mile one year in the snow and came out fine, i was impressed

I was wondering the same thing...mine haven't failed me, but then again I hunt in Colorado and Texas and both are pretty dry states. I know Alaska can be pretty wet too but I will take the guys from Washingtons word on the leaking issue.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

They leak. They don't stay closed and they break easily. I don't know anyone who hasn't broken a few of them.

Nuke Man

WKR
I think you will be very happy with them. They are pricey but come with a lifetime warranty! Buy once cry once. I'm in the process of switching all my scopes over.

16Bore

WKR
Can't see $100 for covers. BC's work fine if they fit right, that being the trick in a nutshell..

Joe M

FNG
I have some older BC's that are still going, but the newer ones are made from a brittle plastic and are junk. It has nothing to do with fit