Scope for aging Dad

TxLite

WKR
Here is an Accupoint 3-9 with the amber triangle. I would not recommend this reticle for anything other than hunting in deep timber, it’s not great in my opinion for anything requiring precision.

Something to consider with both of the images I posted of accupoint reticles is that if you’re in the shade (this was the case for both pictures) , the fiber optics are not gathering as much light as if you were in the sun. That’s why both appear dull.

I sold the 3-9 a few years ago but I’ll grab a pic of the 2.5-12.5 reticle in the sun and post it.

6ED71797-78B1-4376-B860-011840BCF5E3.jpeg

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider
So far the Accupoint seems to be checking the boxes.

Budget is kinda whatever it needs to be get the right scope for him. That said, I was hoping to stay under $1000.
For white tail at 300 and in, I plug the Howa Carbon Stalker in 6.5 Grendel like I own stock. Topped with a VX3HD 3.5-10x40 in Talley lightweights, it’s tipping the scales at under 5.5 pounds all in.
That said, after having Leica Amplus, Zeiss’ V6 line, Trijicon Credo HX, and VX5HD, I’m phasing all the VX3HD’s out. They just can’t compete in sharpness or low light. I wasn’t impressed with Trijicon’s glass at all. If brightness and resolution is paramount, and the rifle won’t be treated poorly, I really couldn’t recommend them. For the money, Leupold’s VX5HD in a firedot duplex is hard to beat and hangs in there with my Zeiss and Leica really well. Eurooptic has a nice deal on a demo 3-15x44 firedot duplex right now that would be about perfect. https://www.eurooptic.com/Leupold-V...ireDot-Duplex-Scope-Showroom-Demo-172368.aspxIMG_3036.jpeg

sdupontjr

WKR
Not to derail the discussion…but how do you like the Polar? Which model do you have?
It's the best low light optic that my eyes have seen through. I have the 4-16x56. When the sun sets is where it really shines. And the illuminating dot is like a pin prick, doesn't over power your pupil. Now it cost in comparison to the Accupoint, but it's the best. I've said it in many threads before, I could easily go to jail here in south Louisiana with legal shooting times. I can see with little to no moon for a long time after sunset.

KenLee

WKR
It's the best low light optic that my eyes have seen through. I have the 4-16x56. When the sun sets is where it really shines. And the illuminating dot is like a pin prick, doesn't over power your pupil. Now it cost in comparison to the Accupoint, but it's the best. I've said it in many threads before, I could easily go to jail here in south Louisiana with legal shooting times. I can see with little to no moon for a long time after sunset.
The tiny dot on Polar and Leica Magnus distance themselves from the rest.
People rave about the Leupy firedot, but it looks like a blob to me in really low light.

sdupontjr

WKR
I also had a SB Klassik 2.5x10x56 which is very affordable and great in low light, but the illumination is different on it when Compared to the polar. Klassik doesnt get as dim.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I’ve been looking at the T96 Polar 2.5-10x50 for a while now, I don’t like the bassackwards CW turrents so I think I would order the CCW model. How is the dependability, RTZ, tracking, etc.? I purchased a Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 several years ago, low light performance is good, illumination controls has a day/night switch which is really useful, turrets are just plain weird and I seem to be chasing my zero here and there frequently, which has caused me to question it’s reliability. Most of my shots are less than 300 yards. The hunting hours in Maryland are a 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset and we see a lot of deer at the start and at the end of legal hours.