Scope for 338wm

Curhunter

FNG
Can anyone recommend a scope for my 338wm? I've destroyed a Nikon and a Burris with the rifle. I am looking for a basic scope around a 3X9 power and will not be dialing. It would be nice to stay around $500 if possible. If I have to pay more for reliability then I guess I'll just have to.

Thanks for any advice.

Scottf270

WKR
The above listed are spot on. I have had great service out of the older Bushnell 4200 and 3200 series as " set and forget" scopes. Made in Japan and have never had one waver a bit.

wyosteve

WKR
I have a Leupold 2.5x8 on one rifle for 30 trouble free years and a Swarovski 3-10 on another for 15 trouble free years!

I put a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12 on mine with DNZ scope mount. But like most forum recommendations, it's above the stated budget. You can find them on sale though.

OP
C

Curhunter

FNG
I think second focal plane would be my preference. How are the lighted credo reticles in bright light? I have always used standard reticles. To me fewer options should make fewer failures.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Take a look at the offerings from Hawke. I think you’ll find some great options and they certainly will hold up without issue

Rd7fox

FNG
Where ever the advice takes you, the first thing I would consider is, how much eye relief does the scope offer? 338wm has pretty stout recoil unless you're using a brake.
I would want close to 4" of relief and especially check the relief at higher powers. That's where many scopes fail with enough relief.

OP
C

Curhunter

FNG
Initially I was looking at Leupold VX3 but heard of to many not holding zero. Seems like Trijicon is highly recommended so I think I will go that route. Probably getting a Huron instead of the Credo. I don't want a scope that takes batteries. The eye relief could be better but the recoil isn't that bad really.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Huron is nice, but I really like my Credo 3-9. I have left the light on for days and still running strong. It has fantastic optics at the price point it's at. If you go lighted I'd recommend the red reticle. Its funny- on the Accupoint I like the green dot, for the Credo with the MIL square the red shows much better than green ( I have a few trij scopes).

SDHNTR

WKR
Initially I was looking at Leupold VX3 but heard of to many not holding zero. Seems like Trijicon is highly recommended so I think I will go that route. Probably getting a Huron instead of the Credo. I don't want a scope that takes batteries. The eye relief could be better but the recoil isn't that bad really.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I’ve owned both. The Trijicon Credo blows the Huron away. The ER is lacking on the Huron and I couldn’t get it back far enough on a long action. Didn’t want to change mounts. Credo dropped in and works great. The scope doesn’t take batteries to work, that’s just silly. Leave the battery out if you want (also silly), no one is forcing you to turn the light on. It’s just a better scope, AND it has illumination, a nice plus, imo.

Last edited:

The Guide

WKR
I think second focal plane would be my preference. How are the lighted credo reticles in bright light? I have always used standard reticles. To me fewer options should make fewer failures.
This is in your price range. The light isn't needed as there are black cross hairs that "can" be illuminated if you desire but not required. Best scope at the price point. This is a basic duplex reticle but they have a bdc reticle available at the same price point.

Jay