Scope for Muzzleloader

This may seem crazy to some and straight forward for others but I'm looking to get a new scope for my Muzzleloader. I have a Leupold muzzleloading scope on my CVA but I have been seeing recently of people putting variable power rifle scopes on there loaders. So what's the forums advice and experience with rifle scopes on loaders or should I stick to the tried and true Loader scopes. Yes I had posted this thread already in the optics forum but haven't gotten any replies so I wanted to try here.

I don’t have the best definitive answer, but faced with a similar situation recently, this is what we decided to do: in service of helping a friend prepare for a UT muzzleloader hunt, we’ve outfitted a CVA LRX .50cal with an above average Burris 4.5-14x50 - because we had one, and neither of us are convinced of a need for one of the “Big 3” named scopes on a muzzleloader. Both of us are new to muzzleloading, and as of this response, still have not shot this new unit. Our theory however is, if this new “long range” muzzleloading equipment lives up to the hype, then, if we do our due diligence in developing loads for both pellets and loose, and lots of fairly extensive documentation of speeds attainable via working w/a chrony…..then theoretically we should be able to come up with a load(s) that should repeatably correspond to the holdover hashmarks on the Burris reticle(?) Although not designed for muzzleloader trajectories, we’re hoping to get it right, since the UT regs. have no scope power restrictions. If our theory and load trials don’t prove adequate and repeatable, then I guess it’s back to the drawing board. Hope to have an answer by this weekend. This rationale may or may not prove helpful to you; either way, best of luck w/your decision!

KenLee

WKR
7 yrs ago, I set up 2 muzzleloaders, a youth stocked 308 and a 45-70 with Nikon Prostaff 5 scopes in 2.5-10x40 and we have beat the heck out of those with no failures. Nikon isn't selling scopes anymore, but I'd still buy more if I ran across them for sale at good prices.

Not to derail the thread, but how much magnification are you trying to get? Or want to have? I partly ask this because I’m in the same boat as I’m trying to figure out a scope for my muzzleloader. Maybe I’m underestimating its abilities, but I figure the ethical/effective range of a muzzleloader would be 300 yards at most. With most shots being less than that. So how much magnification do you need out to 300? FOR ME, as I’ve been thinking about it, I was going to try and find a 1-8 or 2-10 powered scope. The only problem I’ve been having with that range is that most of them have smaller light collecting areas (such as 20mm or 24mm).

So I guess I really didn’t help you much, just mentioned my thoughts. Sorry.

I run a 3.5-15x NF NXS on mine. Modern muzzleloaders are truly 500 yard killing machines and the stout recoil can justify a quality scope.

That being said, you certainly don’t need to spend that much money to be happy or successful.

OP
wesleylee1984
Not to derail the thread, but how much magnification are you trying to get? Or want to have? I partly ask this because I’m in the same boat as I’m trying to figure out a scope for my muzzleloader. Maybe I’m underestimating its abilities, but I figure the ethical/effective range of a muzzleloader would be 300 yards at most. With most shots being less than that. So how much magnification do you need out to 300? FOR ME, as I’ve been thinking about it, I was going to try and find a 1-8 or 2-10 powered scope. The only problem I’ve been having with that range is that most of them have smaller light collecting areas (such as 20mm or 24mm).

So I guess I really didn’t help you much, just mentioned my thoughts. Sorry.
That's where I'm at I have a 3x10 with a small objective lens on one inline and on the other I'm curious if a Vortex vhs 4x14 50mm would work. You didn't derail a thing actually put what I was curious about better than me. 14x in my opinion where I live and hunt is overkill I'm just curious if it would work with enough eye relief.

OP
wesleylee1984
I run a 3.5-15x NF NXS on mine. Modern muzzleloaders are truly 500 yard killing machines and the stout recoil can justify a quality scope.

That being said, you certainly don’t need to spend that much money to be happy or successful.
Any issues with eye relief on the NF?

rharbaugh

WKR
What are your goals and expectations? MOA out to 500? Light weight? Etc.

I run a vortex viper hs 4–16x44 for late season in Iowa on my cva Acura. This January I slipped going up a muddy creek bank and landed right on my rifle. The objective lens was full of mud. Later that evening, I shot a doe at 160 yds and a buck at 100 yds right a last light. Scope held zero and was very clear at low light. I’m very comfortable with this set up out to 250, and it’s been a proven set up for the last three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Fin yourself one of those nightforce muzzle loader scopes that were available a few years back.

I don’t have the best definitive answer, but faced with a similar situation recently, this is what we decided to do: in service of helping a friend prepare for a UT muzzleloader hunt, we’ve outfitted a CVA LRX .50cal with an above average Burris 4.5-14x50 - because we had one, and neither of us are convinced of a need for one of the “Big 3” named scopes on a muzzleloader. Both of us are new to muzzleloading, and as of this response, still have not shot this new unit. Our theory however is, if this new “long range” muzzleloading equipment lives up to the hype, then, if we do our due diligence in developing loads for both pellets and loose, and lots of fairly extensive documentation of speeds attainable via working w/a chrony…..then theoretically we should be able to come up with a load(s) that should repeatably correspond to the holdover hashmarks on the Burris reticle(?) Although not designed for muzzleloader trajectories, we’re hoping to get it right, since the UT regs. have no scope power restrictions. If our theory and load trials don’t prove adequate and repeatable, then I guess it’s back to the drawing board. Hope to have an answer by this weekend. This rationale may or may not prove helpful to you; either way, best of luck w/your decision!
Sounds very likely that you’ll have to give up that scope in Utah next year. Reg changes in the works.

With as much drop as ML's have I really like having my Sig Sauer BDX scope on my Accura. Turns out my son didn't need it on his elk at 50 yds, but the soft load I found had like 20"+ of drop at 200yds. Handy not to have to dial so much for relatively close shots.

Macintosh

WKR
ML (and most hunting) is a close range game where I live, Ive had an older (20 year old?) nikon 2-7x on mine with a standard duplex-type reticle, and been very happy with it as far as its possible to shoot around here. I appreciate a little extra magnification picking a lane through brush, more so than for dealing with longer shots. If I hunted a ML season in terrain like the photo above I’d put the same scope on that my rifle gets. 3-9, 2.5-10 or thereabouts with a mil dot ffp reticle or a dial turret seems like it would be perfect to me, and still work pretty fine in the jungle here at home.

OP
wesleylee1984
What are your goals and expectations? MOA out to 500? Light weight? Etc.

I run a vortex viper hs 4–16x44 for late season in Iowa on my cva Acura. This January I slipped going up a muddy creek bank and landed right on my rifle. The objective lens was full of mud. Later that evening, I shot a doe at 160 yds and a buck at 100 yds right a last light. Scope held zero and was very clear at low light. I’m very comfortable with this set up out to 250, and it’s been a proven set up for the last three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well 300 yards in is what I'm looking for. Based on your real world experience I think I'll throw the Vhs on my Muzzleloader. Thank you for the field knowledge

I’ve thought quite a bit about this one. My muzzleloader isn’t overly expensive and neither is this scope. Seems like a decent combination of magnification range and light gathering. Just have had “so so” luck with Vortex in the past. That’s one of my hold ups on buying it.

With me trying to keep my shots to 2-300 at most, 5x should be plenty to see what I need to see and keep a good sight picture. Just my thoughts.

EDIT

Just found this Leupold that might also fit the bill. Have multiple VX5/6HDs. Never tried this freedom line. But if it could hold a zero on a muzzleloader I would be tickled pink!!

The more I look the more other options I see. Guess like anything it all depends on how thick your pocketbook is and what exactly you want. I will likely try one of the above two, as their price tag is more in line with what I need for my needs/wants.

Last edited:

Kurts86

WKR
I have a vortex razor LH 1.5-8x32 on my muzzleloader and the BDC marks hit almost perfectly for 100, 200, 250 and 300 with my current load. It has good enough light transmission for 250 yard shoots at last legal shooting light. Unfortunately it is both discontinued and vortex product. It’s proven fine for eastern deer hunting but if I had a better tag/destination hunt I’d probably move a Nightforce SHV onto it.

I have a bolt action slug gun that wears a Burris Signature HD 2-10. It kicks just as hard and has nearly identical ballistics to my muzzleloader loads. No shift in zero and tracks spot-on. Really not much need for more than 10x out to 300y. If CO allowed scopes I'd swap it over to the muzzy with zero hesitation.

How often do you use your ML. Where. What distance do you shoot. Budget?

mine is a safe queen, 200 yd max, once every couple of years gun. I have a fairly inexpensive 3-9 with a BDC that suits me.

better glass never hurts, but for me, on that gun, it isn’t worth the $$$

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I've been using a S&B Klassic 6x42 on mine (NULA smokeless) for probably close to a decade. The vast majority of my ML hunting is woods so it's never used over 100 yards. Were I planning on shooting longer distances, the SWFA 6x42 would be where I'd look.