Scope mount question

TikkaKing

FNG
Hi all,

Hoping you all can help this newbie out.

I recently bought Leupold VX3-HD Scope - 3.5 - 10x40MM for my Tikka T3x CTR (I think 30mm tube size?)

Looking to get Leupold scope rings but not sure what kind or what height ?

Will use for hunting..my question is why the different height sizes ? I do plan on putting caps.

any reccs would be greatly appreciated. any reason to stay away from Leupold rings ? figured might as well with a leupold scope.

PNWGATOR

WKR
The best advise I’d offer would be to return the scope, get your money back and then do your due diligence on this forum regarding what’s important in a scope and which ones work.

OP
T

TikkaKing

FNG
The best advise I’d offer would be to return the scope, get your money back and then do your due diligence on this forum regarding what’s important in a scope and which ones work.
well I got a really good deal on the scope that i couldn't pass up...just looking for some advice.

Hope you wake up in a better mood tomorrow, sir.

PNWGATOR

WKR

The UM Tikka rings are great. Since you already have a rail on your CTR, you should check out the Nightforce 4 screw ultralight rings in low height. Also agree with everyone above on ditching the luppy, but you do you and enjoy it!

PNWGATOR

WKR
You asked for advice and I offered you some.

There is a lot of FANTASTIC objective information offered on numerous threads in all of the forums on this website.

Sincerely, take your time and dig around on here a bit with an open mind and please ask questions. Lotta members with a lot of experience that are willing to help.

any reccs would be greatly appreciated. any reason to stay away from Leupold rings ? figured might as well with a leupold scope.
I've been putting everything on rails lately. I have a combo with the Leupold Backcountry rail and Backcountry low rings for a 44mm scope. It's still high due to the height of the rail but it's the lowest they make. I don't know if your factory rail is the same height, but I'm betting you'd be fine with the Leupold Low rings unless it's really short. I like the rail/ring combo just as well as my Warne Mountantech set I got for another rifle. Don't worry about the Leupold haters, they're not wrong entirely but they're aggressive here and 99% chance your scope will never have issues. If you go read through all the threads it'll make you worry though, so if you want to stick with this scope then don't read the threads. LOL

well I got a really good deal on the scope that i couldn't pass up...just looking for some advice.

Hope you wake up in a better mood tomorrow, sir.
If you got a really good deal that you couldn’t pass up you could make some money and put that extra towards a rokslide acceptable scope.

If you want the most economical yet solid choice, these: https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/sc...piece-30mm-medium-suits-tikka-15mm-dovetails/
Yes, they are from an airgun site but search for reviews on this site and elsewhere and your mind will be settled.

If you want to pay more for a little nicer and a little more recoil pin mounting flexibility, get the low version of these:
https://www.unknownmunitions.com/product/um-tikka-rings/

Both of these options use the existing factory rail on a tikka and don't rely on tiny little screws to hold your scope in place.

Those Tikka's have a standard picatinny rail? If so:

OP
T

TikkaKing

FNG
I've been putting everything on rails lately. I have a combo with the Leupold Backcountry rail and Backcountry low rings for a 44mm scope. It's still high due to the height of the rail but it's the lowest they make. I don't know if your factory rail is the same height, but I'm betting you'd be fine with the Leupold Low rings unless it's really short. I like the rail/ring combo just as well as my Warne Mountantech set I got for another rifle. Don't worry about the Leupold haters, they're not wrong entirely but they're aggressive here and 99% chance your scope will never have issues. If you go read through all the threads it'll make you worry though, so if you want to stick with this scope then don't read the threads. LOL
thank you

Squincher

WKR
3.5x10 is a 1 inch tube, unless you got the firedot reticle. I just had a bad experience with Leupold hardware. The first set of bases I ordered had the wrong bases in the package, and the replacement had two screws with no threads. I sent that back and went with Weaver bases and rings. Right stuff arrived the first time, with threaded screws.

OP
T

TikkaKing

FNG
As a general rule you want the scope as close to the bore axis as possible as long you have bolt clearance and clearance for the bell of the scope over the barrel on the front end. You also want good eye relief and a good sight picture with you natural cheek weld on the rifle. It looks like the rifle you are working with already has a picatinny rail so, I'm thinking that you definitely don't need a high ring (or would want one). I think you'll be OK with a standard (perhaps even low) ring provided you have clearance for the scope bell and sufficient bolt clearance. Others may know more.
thank you!
Those Tikka's have a standard picatinny rail? If so:

thnx!
3.5x10 is a 1 inch tube, unless you got the firedot reticle. I just had a bad experience with Leupold hardware. The first set of bases I ordered had the wrong bases in the package, and the replacement had two screws with no threads. I sent that back and went with Weaver bases and rings. Right stuff arrived the first time, with threaded screws.
thank you.. i did go with the firedot. Sounds like alot of folks on here have had a bad experience with Leupold.

Squincher

WKR
thank you!

thnx!

thank you.. i did go with the firedot. Sounds like alot of folks on here have had a bad experience with Leupold.

To be clear, I've never had a problem with any Leupold scope in 40 years of use, and I never had a problem with their hardware until this go around. I may try their mounts again in the future, but I just couldn't take anymore this time.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
You asked for advice and I offered you some.

There is a lot of FANTASTIC objective information offered on numerous threads in all of the forums on this website.

Sincerely, take your time and dig around on here a bit with an open mind and please ask questions. Lotta members with a lot of experience that are willing to help.
What scope would you recommend that’s in a vx3 price range? That tracks 100% of the time?

nobody

WKR
What scope would you recommend that’s in a vx3 price range? That tracks 100% of the time?

I would echo what @PNWGATOR said in post number 2.