Scope mounting loctite or not?

jimh406

WKR
There are literally nearly unlimited combinations to try with different finishes on scopes, diameters of scopes, ring types, base types, and many different screw sizes. I don't expect any of the manufacturers try to test all combinations.

However, there could be lots of reasons why loctite isn't recommended including the fact that it makes it harder to take the picatinny or bases off. As noted, some are having no issues without using loctite. That doesn't mean loctite doesn't work though.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
However, there could be lots of reasons why loctite isn't recommended including the fact that it makes it harder to take the picatinny or bases off.
name one reason besides it being harder to take off and the fact that it is wet torque (neither of which are a valid reason at all in this application, in my opinion)

This is rhetorical. But if you can think of one, it would benefit the conversation

jimh406

WKR
name one reason besides it being harder to take off and the fact that it is wet torque (neither of which are a valid reason at all in this application, in my opinion)

This is rhetorical. But if you can think of one, it would benefit the conversation
One is pretty easy, they didn't try it with loctite, so they don't recommend it. A second is a bonus ... there are multiple types of loctite. Third, should they simply say thread locker since loctite is a brand.

No- have you ever contact a ring company because your scope lost zero or a screw was loose? Bet not.

Then he’s ignorant. The K value of blue Loctite is less than .2. It’s less than the oil that screws come with from the factory. Put simply, if you take the screws out of the package and torque to 18in-lbs for instance that is a higher clamping force, then if you take those same screws, degrease them, Loctite them, and use 18 in-lbs.

Literally exactly opposite of what you, your gunsmith, and most manufacturers state. The reason that they are wrong is because they have no idea what they are talking about- they’re just repeating what they’ve been told. Every screw, in almost every field- airplanes, spaceships, turbines, etc, etc on things that cannot loosen are not only required to be loctite, lots specify a safety wire.
Dude. If you’re a moderator you need to lighten up. Sorry if you’re having a bad day but don’t take it out on me.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
In my experience dealing with reputable brands over the years. Using their recommended torque specs and installation instructions. I've had not just good but great results. I hunt hard and don't baby any of my equipment. Whether my gun is in the bed of my truck on the front of my atv, in and out of a treestand or on a deer drive through some of the nastiest terrain imaginable in the country. No open fields or canyons near me lol. Takin bumps drops and everything in between. They continue to perform year after year. If the info they provided was incorrect or not tested think my results would be much different.

Can you show some clear pictures of your “non babied” big game rifles?

Lighten up? I stated facts.
Yeah. I think most would disagree with that statement.

You said me, my gunsmith, and all manufacturers are wrong and you are right. Not exactly land of facts.

I think whether to loctite rings or not is a pretty big topic and deserves open discussion.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It's a muzzleloader btw. I own multiple centerfire but like the challenge of have just one shot.
Does that mean you can’t show a clear picture of your heavily used, non babied, drops, and bumped muzzleloader?

No- have you ever contact a ring company because your scope lost zero or a screw was loose? Bet not.

Then he’s ignorant. The K value of blue Loctite is less than .2. It’s less than the oil that screws come with from the factory. Put simply, if you take the screws out of the package and torque to 18in-lbs for instance that is a higher clamping force, then if you take those same screws, degrease them, Loctite them, and use 18 in-lbs.

Literally exactly opposite of what you, your gunsmith, and most manufacturers state. The reason that they are wrong is because they have no idea what they are talking about- they’re just repeating what they’ve been told. Every screw, in almost every field- airplanes, spaceships, turbines, etc, etc on things that cannot loosen are not only required to be loctite, lots specify a safety wire.
Most of those mentioned at bottom are not tightening onto precision glass.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yeah. I think most would disagree with that statement.

You said me, my gunsmith, and all manufacturers are wrong and you are right. Not exactly land of facts.

What wrote is factual. The K value of Loctite is less than the K value of any common oil that comes on screws. Oil’s sole purpose is to allow screws to be easy to loosen- the exact opposite of what someone that cares about zero retention wants. Rifles don’t shoot tight- they shoot loose.

I think whether to loctite rings or not is a pretty big topic and deserves open discussion.

What are yo talking about “open discussion”?

CampSmith

FNG
Hope you understand the difference between lightly oiled and drenched. Lightly oiled on the left and dry on the right.1000006907.jpg