scope

Looking for suggestions on a scope to put on a lightweight rifle. I am trying to select one with good glass/ power above ten but as light weight as possible. Any suggestions? Probably longest sots would 600 yards maybe 650 but not much longer I don't have a longer range to practice.
Also trying to keep it close as I can to $1500.00.

lintond

WKR
Do you want something to dial? Mils vs MOA? SFP or FFP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
The absolute last place I’d be looking to shave weight is in the optic selection. And I mean last. Especially if shooting 600 yards is (allegedly) on the table.

Check out the drop tests form did.

From my personal experience and the experience of other qualified and knowledgeable persons, I recommend SWFA’s 1-6x24HD, 3-9x42HD, and 6xMQ. They have been solid for me.

What exactly will you mount this on?

Last edited:
OP
A
I have the dials now on a scope and works great. Shooting long distances not something i like to do. That being said i had a opportunity for a really big moose last year and passed on it because 583 yrds range . Now im practicing at 600 yrds and trying learn reading the wind.
scope i have now weighs in at 21.5 ounces
Over a pound. 50mm tube leupold , i like the leupold but thinking that i can shave some weight and still find decent glass.
Up and down mountains i need to shave weight everywhere.
im not stuck at 1500.00 but much more and scope would cost more than rifle.
Open to suggestions and of course quality has to # 1 filter but next is weight. Would like
To get it under a pound for scope and rings.
I was hoping some of you guys who live this shooting sport could help me out with suggestions, i just dabble in enough shooting to be proficient in my hunting shooting skills.

OP
A
I will putting it on a Tikka or my Seekins ph2 300 winmag
Probably have this thread wrong section
Maybe it should be moved to
Optics

lintond

WKR
Under a pound with durability isn’t really realistic. The SWFA listed above would be a good start.

Im a NF guy so I have a couple NX8, ATACR, & SHV. The SHV is about 28 oz and within your price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSI

WKR
24 oz 1400 dollar trijicon tenmile 3-18x44 is exactly what you want.

That Leupold is a ticking time bomb. You will love the Trij and it will never lose zero on you.

-J

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Burris varasity ph has done great on many different rifles for me a steiner 2.5-15x50 T6xi on sale right now with free binoculars is a great option as well its wonderful and great option close to the price the varasity keeps you under even with rings and ammo.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
Because NF is FFP and Swaro is SFP ?

NF makes both FFP and 2FP scopes. I prefer 2Fp for hunting personally. The reason for my statement is that while in my judgment Swaro has better glass, their turrets leave a lot to be desired. If you plan to hold over rather than dial, then get one with capped turrets and you are all set. I like the BRH and BRX reticles a lot for holding over. Work on your subtensions and your dope and give yourself a diagram for holding over.

NF stuff is stupidly robust, and I think their turrets are top notch for accuracy and tracking. If you plan to dial your elevation, I dont' think they can be beat. In full disclosure, I have never tried a Schmidt and Bender. That might be better, but it is more than I am ever going to spend.

NF makes both FFP and 2FP scopes. I prefer 2Fp for hunting personally. The reason for my statement is that while in my judgment Swaro has better glass, their turrets leave a lot to be desired. If you plan to hold over rather than dial, then get one with capped turrets and you are all set. I like the BRH and BRX reticles a lot for holding over. Work on your subtensions and your dope and give yourself a diagram for holding over.

NF stuff is stupidly robust, and I think their turrets are top notch for accuracy and tracking. If you plan to dial your elevation, I dont' think they can be beat. In full disclosure, I have never tried a Schmidt and Bender. That might be better, but it is more than I am ever going to spend.
That makes sense, Thanks. I have a Swaro Z5 with the BRH, and I don't dial it. I have the drop listed from their Ballistic Calculator, and know that if I had to shoot at a distance, I would crank it up to 18X, and use the corresponding stadia wire (per their calculator).

This will trigger some folks but I’ve owned several Leupold VX5HDs with no issues and the includes dialing at the range out to 1K yards and back. The VX5HD has excellent clarity, lens coatings to brighten image in low light and forgiving eye box. It’s also sub 20 ozs. They are around $1K in price but you can get the Duplex or Windplex non illuminated reticles for under $1K.

I don’t do first focal plane scopes on a hunting rifle. My scope sits on low power unless I need to zoom. I want a reticle I can see in low light that doesn’t rely on battery powered illumination or electronics.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
This will trigger some folks but I’ve owned several Leupold VX5HDs with no issues and the includes dialing at the range out to 1K yards and back. The VX5HD has excellent clarity, lens coatings to brighten image in low light and forgiving eye box. It’s also sub 20 ozs. They are around $1K in price but you can get the Duplex or Windplex non illuminated reticles for under $1K.

I don’t do first focal plane scopes on a hunting rifle. My scope sits on low power unless I need to zoom. I want a reticle I can see in low light that doesn’t rely on battery powered illumination or electronics.

I have a VX5HD on one of my rifles, and it works fine. I prefer NF and Swaro for better glass, and NF is more robust. Nothing wrong with your setup.