Rail and rings vs lightweight aluminum rings 23 oz scope?

Which setup should I pursue to balance weight and performance?

• No touchy, rifle is fine, leupold is not dead yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

flyboy214

FNG
Alright, working on a medium range build with a 600 yard max once I have everything doped out. Target species is mule deer on backpacking hunts.

My question is what scope mounts would you trust in a high recoiling, lightweight rig with a 23 oz scope?

Is there a scope weight threshold where the lightweight rings are just not trustworthy?

Weatherby backcountry 1.0 in 6.5-300
Currently wearing a lightweight leupold VX-3i wind plex cds with lapped talley rings. The rifle is 6.3 lbs naked. It was pillar and skim bedded with short action customs. As is, this setup without ammo is right at 7.2 lbs. The VX-3i has been reliable at 400 yards but not abused.

I am considering a reliable dialing scope on there at the expense of a little weight. With a 300 yard zero, I only need to dial 5 moa to get to 600 yards.

The scope I'm looking at is the trijicon accupoint 2.5-12.5x42 with Moa dot reticle.
22.4 oz scope

With talley or DNZ game reaper 2, I expect the weight to be around 7.85 lbs.

The rail and rings would be 8 lbs.

Thank you for entertaining my tinkering. I learn a ton on this forum and it has made me a more consistent shooter.

I can't recommend those exact brands for the rail/rings since no experience. But yes, rail and rings on everything. And if the rings you buy don't suck, you should never have to lap anything.

cmahoney

WKR
There is enough info out there about Talley’s failing for me to cross them off the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
Ive got a 338 rum and a 56mm nxs mounted on it with talley lightweights. If thats not a high recoiling rifle/heavy scope combination I dont know what is. I havent had an issue in the past 3 years since I mounted it up.

If it ever does give me any indication of failure Im going to get a rail drilled for 8x40's and 2 sets of six screw rings. lol

OP
F

flyboy214

FNG
Ive got a 338 rum and a 56mm nxs mounted on it with talley lightweights. If thats not a high recoiling rifle/heavy scope combination I dont know what is. I havent had an issue in the past 3 years since I mounted it up.

If it ever does give me any indication of failure Im going to get a rail drilled for 8x40's and 2 sets of six screw rings. lol
Did you lap the talleys?

OP
F

flyboy214

FNG
I zeroed at 130 yards and used a mpbr offset that just happens to pass through center again at 300. I didn't try to center up the windage at 300, just verified trajectory was as advertised. Peak bullet rise occurs around 170 yards and is around 3 inches.

I chrono'd my rifle at 3510 fps with the 127 gr LRX.

OP
F

flyboy214

FNG
I like a one piece mount and DNZ work well. But their offering for the MK V is specific to a right hand action.