SCOTUS to hear "bump-stock" case!

If I can recall, the ban is being set by the ATF and not our governing body. So i don't believe there should be a ban. However, even if the ban is set by a legislating body, its a bad precedent because the next banned item could be something just as innoculous. Replace "bump-stock" with protractors and you'll see how silly a ban would be.

Its kinda like having different laws and penalties for how someone was murdered. Why do we need different punishment for a someone who committed murder with a pipe vs someone who committed murder with a car/gun/knife/etc. Penalty for murder should be the same across the board based on the degree of the murder

For the record, I can bump fire a rifle with a rubber band much easier than I can with a bump stock. Are we gonna ban rubber bands??

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Well, after Obama "created a law" with DACA with an EO, and then the liberal justices and Chief Justice Roberts upheld it when Trump canceled that EO.......then I have no faith in our SCOTUS anymore. If ALL the justices and especially the Chief Justice don't even know that ONLY the legislative branch can create laws, then our nation is doomed already.
the SCOTUS has been legislating from the bench for years now, and nobody does anything to stop them from doing so.

UncleBone

WKR
Jets, tanks, etc

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCOTUS should be ruling on the constitutionality of the ban and whether or not the BATFE has the authority to instill such a ban, NOT the mechanics of a "bump-stock"! ....of which Justice Brown conspicuously has no idea!!!!
She doesnt even know what a woman is, how is she supposed to know what a bump stock is?

BjornF16

WKR
I listened to most of the “arguments” live via audio streaming…

Majority seemed sympathetic to banning automatics; I’d say 3 conservatives will slam the BATFE rule making as unconstitutional, 3 liberals will support BATFE; I have no idea about the middle 3.

This was NOT presented/argued as a 2A issue but rather bickering over definition of “single function of trigger device” as well as exceeding authority of an agency rule making vs “spirit of the law”

Vaultman

WKR
Could you imagine the weight of a magazine that held 800 rounds?
I googled 556... 12 grams per round. So 30 rounds would be 0.8 lbs.
That is over 21 lbs for the 800 rounds...
How strong would your spring have to be?

More of a fight as to whether or not ATF has authority to make their little "rules" and create law. This case will affect others like the pistol brace rule, the auto key card case, etc.
Exactly. It sets limits to what agencies can get away with. You can be optimistic about this case without giving two sharts about bump-stocks themselves.

Could you imagine the weight of a magazine that held 800 rounds?
I googled 556... 12 grams per round. So 30 rounds would be 0.8 lbs.
That is over 21 lbs for the 800 rounds...
How strong would your spring have to be?
Also, Vaultman, I have a few of these 800-round mags for sale if interested. I trademarked the name Megapul, but for some reason, they never took off.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You don’t say? They lie because they know they won’t be questioned or called out on it and their constituents don’t care because it’s for the cause dontcha know ;)
Their constituents don't have clue what the truth is, so they accept what she says as the truth. It must hurt to be that stupid.

H80Hunter

WKR
Just curious for this crews take on this but one thing that really has made me avoid splurging on a suppressor (aside from the other hurdles) is the idea I have to explicitly tell the ATF I’m buying this item and then I have to worry that in the future they don’t just decide I can no longer have an item I spent $1000 on, waited god knows how long for, and then they know that I have it.

I don’t particularly care about the bump stock issue directly but I mean that’s the same situation isn’t it? You bought a thing they said you could have and then they changed their mind.

OP
Amos Keeto

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Despite my concerns about how this may end up, it appears that, thankfully, that the conservative justices are able to push the mechanics of the device aside to consider the constitutionality of "the ban"!

Final ruling, I suppose, is yet to come. But it appears to be a 6-3 decision to reverse Trump's "bump-stock" ban!

Dos XX

WKR
And overturned for all the right reasons.

Trump was wrong on this one. If bump stocks are to be outlawed, it needs to be done in congress. Allowing agency overreach is a dangerous thing.

Robobiss

FNG
But, but, but.....you can own full auto, grenades, tanks, etc....."IF" you can swing the "tax stamps"!
If I'm not mistaken, if you've got the powder, "bullets"(?), etc, you can reload your own field piece ammo.
Swinging the tax stamps is hardly the problem.

The problem is there’s a supply and demand issue. When you cant hardly get a transferable full auto M16 lower for less than 20k nowadays because in 1986 they made it illegal to add new machine guns to the registry it creates such an issue. The only machine guns you can buy as a regular citizen without a special FFL (this is a grey area as well, I believe technically you only can as an FFL to demo to LEOS, it’s “yours” but if you give up your FFL/SOT it goes bye bye) are the same ones that have been in circulation since the early 80’s.

I would pay the $200 if an M4/M16 lower costed the same as a regular semi lower, what I’m (and most gun owners) not paying is the extra 20k for a hunk of metal that is worth less than $300.

Robobiss

FNG
Abolish the atf, so I can impulsively buy a supressor
Have you seen some of the approvals lately? Seen multiple sub 48 hour and sub 1 week approvals the last month or so online. Something weird is going on.

Election year!!!

If there was ever a good time to buy one, I’d imagine it’s right now from what I have seen.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Let’s hope then when it gets thrown out they word it in such a way to prevent the multiple other ways the ATF is currently trying to screw with gun owners like the brace ban, the frame and receiver rule as well as the pending “in the business” change.