Search and Rescue Insurance?

Poser

WKR
So from what I gather from this thread and similar ones on this forum, you likely won't be billed by the local SAR, but may have to cover a helicopter medevac ride if your health insurance won't cover it all. Can someone tell me what air medevac companies operate in the Gunnision/Hotchkiss area of Colorado? I'm having a hard time finding that out. Seems most I've found on the internet are closer to Denver or Colorado Springs. I want to make sure any air evac insurance I get has affiliated companies operating in the area I will be.

Correct: From what I understand, once the mission ceases to be a rescue and turns into an ambulance ride is where you have the potential to be billed.

Brooks

WKR
My wife got hurt bad in a wilderness about 4 years ago the med flight to ABQ was $63,000 alone she spent 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital 2 surgeries then 2 weeks in a rehab hospital then 8 weeks of Physical therapy. Our insurance paid all but just a little of it. That was just our regular health insurance. I had to pay $300 towards the helicopter flight.

So from what I gather from this thread and similar ones on this forum, you likely won't be billed by the local SAR, but may have to cover a helicopter medevac ride if your health insurance won't cover it all. Can someone tell me what air medevac companies operate in the Gunnision/Hotchkiss area of Colorado? I'm having a hard time finding that out. Seems most I've found on the internet are closer to Denver or Colorado Springs. I want to make sure any air evac insurance I get has affiliated companies operating in the area I will be.

I'm curious as well. Recently had to hit the SOS button in the Bear Creek area over there to get a friend out. 3 hours waiting for SAR, then heli'd out to Vail, then to Denver. He's at $80k+ for the lift. One thing about a lot of areas out here is that SAR teams often can't get you to the road. In our case, we were less than a mile away from an ambulance and they still opted to heli.

I carry two policies. Aerocare (flight insurance) and Global Reacue..... Aerocare is dirt cheap for my entire family and covers any flights (chopper or fixed wing) needed for medical transport in my area. It’s a no brainer. The Global Rescue is for out of state/country hunts or vacations for anyone in my family. The fee is minimal compared to the bill you would get otherwise without it. Colorado does incorporate a SAR fee into their tag. It does not however cover flight extraction.

Also if you don’t have at minimum an SOS device or PLB so SAR can find you why bother with the insurance. Don’t get the cart before the horse.

And DONT ASSUME because it’s Colorado or any other state in the US you can simply walk out to the nearest road or town to find help. Really?