Seek Outside Silverton 2300 internal sheet daypack

sndmn11

WKR

This pack came out in the last few days and I ordered one mainly to use on my revolution frame, but I am sure I will use it as a day pack and travel luggage. Looks like some good stretch pocket storage, the internal frame set is removable for when it is used on the revolution frame, UltraGrid material from Challenge, integrated lid, hip belt pockets, and I think the sideslip pockets will be nice for day hunting. Repotedly 2lb3oz with the frame sheet and 1lb12oz without.

@mtwarden had a good bit of interest with his SG Tokeen thread (click here to go), and this might be in the same niche.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah definitely in the same niche- decent sized daypack with an internal frame, but can also be attached to a hauler frame.

At some point I'll probably get my hands on one and can compare/contrast the two.

Let us know what you think. It looks like basically a plus size Merlin layout with bottle pockets which is exactly what I wish I had 80% of the time I am using my Merlin.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Let us know what you think. It looks like basically a plus size Merlin layout with bottle pockets which is exactly what I wish I had 80% of the time I am using my Merlin.
I have it, and for my use case I think it will do well, maybe great.

I have had a smaller prototype since last June or July.

I think as a stand alone pack, I am unsure of what kind of backcountry hunting function it genuinely has. I think @mtwarden would be a great resource for that topic if he gets his hands on one in comparison to the SG pack I linked above. I could see it having a use as a day hunt pack, I intend to use it for work trips instead of luggage as a carry on, I think hauling a few cameras around for summer scouting might be the limit.

As a Revolution frame pack, I think it will be money for an overnight or day hunt with the need to haul meat on the frame. The two ZIP side pockets easily fit a Kowa 883, and the stretch drop top side pockets are still usable when doing so. The integrated lid is functional, there's a draw string underneath which I think is valuable in case you wanted to stick a leg bone out the top. I have said many times that Challenge fabrics whoop Cordura and this is made of UltraGrid. The back stretch deep pocket will eat up rain gear and a pullout pouch or three of whatever you want quick access to. Inside the main compartment is a zipper small security pocket, a water bladder hang velcro loop that would put the bladder in its own compartment (where the frame sheet is) and there's a hose port.

My one wonderment is that the side tabs where one would strap the bag to a frame and/or hook compression straps to, are maybe 1/4" wide webbing versus the normal 3/4". I have no clue if that will be an issue, I suspect not, but it is different.

I'll take pics later.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see a couple of possible scenarios. One using the pack day hunting, carry out some meat if you're lucky enough to harvest something (but not a ton) back to the truck and grab a frame for the rest. Attaching it to a frame and day hunt—I've done that w/ my Merlin. It worked pretty good earlier on (used it antelope hunting-early October) but later there just isn't enough volume for the clothing needed. The Silverton should be significantly better in later season with almost double the volume.

As you mention, should make for a nice everyday day pack or for traveling as well.

On those smaller loops, could be for shock cord or the like???? On their site they show it attached to a Revolution frame by two attachment points (per side) and both of those look like 3/4"

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I see a couple of possible scenarios. One using the pack day hunting, carry out some meat if you're lucky enough to harvest something (but not a ton) back to the truck and grab a frame for the rest. Attaching it to a frame and day hunt—I've done that w/ my Merlin. It worked pretty good earlier on (used it antelope hunting-early October) but later there just isn't enough volume for the clothing needed. The Silverton should be significantly better in later season with almost double the volume.

As you mention, should make for a nice everyday day pack or for traveling as well.

On those smaller loops, could be for shock cord or the like???? On their site they show it attached to a Revolution frame by two attachment points (per side) and both of those look like 3/4"

The frame sheet is about 20" and very flexible, I can fold it and it springs back. I think you could run some back straps out, but I'm not sure what the load capacity is yet. Unfortunately, I have been too busy the past week to fiddle. Day hunting, yes, it should be the perfect size even for late season stuff. I haven't handled the SG internal frame sheet packs for comparison. You've used a flight, I think, I doubt this could haul more than a flight.

The pic I see on site has the little loops, they are actually 3/8". Again, I haven't had time to fiddle and should have time this weekend to marry it up to the Revo and play.

PXL_20240502_161038625.MP.jpgPXL_20240502_161121833.MP.jpgPXL_20240502_161329196.MP.jpgPXL_20240502_161342646.MP.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Thanks for the pics!

The Tokeen (and Avail) has a relatively flexible frame sheet as well, but has two crossed carbon stays (roughly the diameter of an arrow shaft) that will help with loads more than just a frame sheet—still not heavy loads by any stretch, but heavier than just a plastic frame sheet.

I purchased several plastic sheets of varying thickness to play around with in internal frame packs; you can get some pretty rigid sheets that increase load comfort, but at the cost of more weight.

I'm guessing with gate keepers, no real need to have the loops a full 3/4"?????

The Flight would definitely handle more load, it has a full tube aluminum external frame. Looks like they discontinued the Flight, must not have sold well- I like mine :)

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I'm guessing with gate keepers, no real need to have the loops a full 3/4"?????

The Flight would definitely handle more load, it has a full tube aluminum external frame. Looks like they discontinued the Flight, must not have sold well- I like mine :)
I'll need to play around with the gatekeepers, my initial thought is they might rotate or something, but I doubt that actually occurs in practice.

My dad ran around with a flight last hunting season and likes it a lot. He has pancreatic cancer and doesn't get more than a straight line 2 miles from the truck, but I think he was comfortable carrying his day gear, snacks, and drinks around. He did move his buck's head, some of my day gear, and his day gear out while I carried the meat and said he felt fine the next day.
fff.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah- it's a solid pack that can be utilized most seasons and at a pretty darn light weight; funny that they discontinued it