WTB Seeking Free Advice Please

ReefJones

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi All,

Never bought a pistol from a private party out of state. I'm in AZ and supposedly have a seller who's agreeing to sell me his glock 20; he's in NM.

What are some things you fine folks have done to ensure a deal is legit with this type of transaction before paying and praying. :)

Thanks,
Reef

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Call them and talk to them in the phone for a bit. Ask questions. You can get a good feel for someone doing that. Of course there is no 100% guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveCNJ

WKR
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If on this site see how long they've been a member and what feedback they've received. I'd then pick up the phone and have a phone conversation with them. Lastly as the firearm would have to go through an FFL on both sides ask him who his FFL is, verify he is a FFL and call them to see if they know who the person is and if they have a history with them.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If on this site see how long they've been a member and what feedback they've received. I'd then pick up the phone and have a phone conversation with them. Lastly as the firearm would have to go through an FFL on both sides ask him who his FFL is, verify he is a FFL and call them to see if they know who the person is and if they have a history with them.

Sad thing is folks are hacking good standing accounts now.

Last edited:

Skyewalker

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Good advice but inaccurate: the seller can absolutely ship to your FFL without using an FFL on his side.

That being said, what I have always done is make the seller ship through an FFL, then make an arrangement with the sellers FFL to send a money order/cashiers check to them (they usually charge a $25 transfer fee for this, depending on your salesman skills, they may do it for free because they will get their transfer fee from the seller) and they act as a mediator for the 2 parties. If the g20 is as described, they will take possession, ship it to you and hand over your payment to the seller.

alyuaz

WKR
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Transfer does not have to go through an FFL on both sides, as somebody mentioned above. He can legally ship it to your FFL. Just make sure that your FFL accepts transfers from individuals. Not all of them do. As far as confirming that he is a legit seller....you can confirm transaction feedback that he has on any number of gun/outdoor forums /Gunbroker.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes FFL on the seller side not required but if you are uneasy about the transaction I wouldn't do it without vetting the seller with an FFL on his side.

OP
ReefJones

ReefJones

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is all good info; thanks and keep it coming please!

I posted on glocktalk and he PM'd me with a solid deal which is one of the reasons I'm somewhat skeptical. I've also already dealt with 3 bogus scam offers from other accounts that are days old and have only 1 post (they don't make you wait like we do here and have a set number of contributions before posting in classifieds (I now LOVE that we do this here btw!). In fairness to him/her, they've had their glocktalk account about a week longer than I've had mine.

So far he said that he'll ship through his FFL and asked for mine. I've provided their info and have asked for his.

I've asked for his name, more pictures confirming he is in possession of the glock, and politely, for both our sakes, that I'd want to talk with him and his FFL.

He said he wants to keep the transaction on the site (which I understand; however, I will talk with him before going further).

I like the idea of the FFL playing middle man if they'll do that.

Thanks again folks. Love to hear more if you got it!
Reef

alyuaz

WKR
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Scammers respond to any WTB ad on all forums nowadays. Him being a newbie just increased the scam odds to 50/50. Why not buy a Glock from a reputable FFL on GB?

OP
ReefJones

ReefJones

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Scammers respond to any WTB ad on all forums nowadays. Him being a newbie just increased the scam odds to 50/50. Why not buy a Glock from a reputable FFL on GB?
A fair question. The only reason is the "buy now" prices are higher than my local Sportsmans Warehouse price where I could just go and pick it up. Long and short, I'm trying to save some money! Still want to be smart about it though!

If you're referring to gunbroker btw? If not let me know where I should be looking! Haha

Also, is armslist a better resource? Seem to be decent priced glocks on there and I'd pay the monthly membership price for 1 month to ensure that I don't fall victim to the ol' Okey Doke!
Reef

Thanks,
Reef

Last edited:

WVelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just a thought here, but is the money you're saving worth the hassle and risk? Since you're asking these questions, I'm assuming you're a little uneasy about the risk. Being a Glock, I'm guessing you are probably not saving a whole lot buying it used. Part of that will be taken by what your dealer charges to do the ffl transfer and possibly shipping fees from the seller or additional costs from his ffl to send it through them. If your local Sportsmans actually has one, it may be in your best interest to go get it and have a new gun and no worries. This is coming from someone that has bought several guns off forums with all good results. Just my thoughts, and worth every penny of what I charge for them!!!

antelopedundee

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd ask him if he would send it to my FFL holder and AFTER it is received and verified then funds will be sent. To blindly send money to a total stranger like that is not the smartest thing that you could do.

338maker

WKR
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
easiest is too have the seller get in contact with a legit FFL ... this is where you will also send the money! the FFL will get in contact with FFL where you are receiving pistol and ship it over night which has be done with pistols anyway.. if he's not down with that move on

OP
ReefJones

ReefJones

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just a thought here, but is the money you're saving worth the hassle and risk? Since you're asking these questions, I'm assuming you're a little uneasy about the risk. Being a Glock, I'm guessing you are probably not saving a whole lot buying it used. Part of that will be taken by what your dealer charges to do the ffl transfer and possibly shipping fees from the seller or additional costs from his ffl to send it through them. If your local Sportsmans actually has one, it may be in your best interest to go get it and have a new gun and no worries. This is coming from someone that has bought several guns off forums with all good results. Just my thoughts, and worth every penny of what I charge for them!!!
If the deal is real, then yes ($150 cheaper and no tax) even me paying both FFLs and shipping will still be cheaper. Part of the reason I'm doubtful.

*update - looks like dude went radio silent on me after I requested more info and to talk.

Thanks for your input, fellas.
Reef

WVelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Maybe just me, but I'd gladly pay the $150 extra for peace of mind, less hassle, and to have a gun nobody's messed with. This would also come in handy if there's any legitimate problems with the gun in case of a warranty claim. Again, I buy quite a few guns off forums, but if the guns still bring produced and you can find it, I'd way rather buy new. Unless, you're saving several hundred dollars!! Its still hard to believe scammers would try to steal off people that will set in one spot all day, on the coldest days of the year, just for the chance to shoot something!