Seekins Element 6.5cm - Optic?

Hi guys,

First time creating a thread, so if I butcher this, that’s why… anyway, I purchased a Seekins Element in 6.5cm recently (after a decade of tirelessly toting a 10-12 lb Savage .308 around in SC) and am now trying to determine what glass to put on this lightweight rifle. I currently live in CO and intend to elk hunt with this setup hopefully in 2024. I will also likely get into some minor long range shooting (1,000 yard max). The rifle will wear a SiCo Chimera as well, which will add a little weight to the end of the barrel. My ultimate goal for this rifle is to be able to grab it, head for the woods, and be able to shoot a deer sized animal anywhere from 100 yards to 500 yards effectively.

I am strongly considering a Nightforce NX8 4-32, but a buddy has a pretty nice Leupold (unsure of the model, but it was around $2k) with a firedot reticle, which was very crisp.

A few questions for you lightweight elk hunters:

- How much will optic weight matter for my setup (with 20 oz Chimera on the barrel)? Would a heavier optic improve balance?
- The Nightforce NX8 MOAR reticle is “busy” compared to the Leupold Firedot. I’m planning to get custom turrets once I find the ideal bullet for my rifle, would I still be better off with a more complex reticle or can the same be achieved with custom turrets?
- Any other optics you’d recommend I take a look at in the sub $2k range?
- Lastly, any suggestions on where to get a good deal on optics? I’ve noticed NF doesn’t seem to go on sale, so I assume they use MAP pricing.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
I put a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BT on mine but to be honest the Trijicon Credo HX 4-16x50 I have is brighter and might end up being worth the 0.6lb weight difference

OP
S
Any other opinions?

Also, are all “like new / demo” NF optics created equal? As in, do certain retailers tend to have a more pristine handled product than others?

Thanks again.

Samson7x

WKR
Do you prefer 1st or 2nd focal? NF 2-10 is a great lightweight option. Contact cameraland and eurooptic for NF pricing.

OP
S
Do you prefer 1st or 2nd focal? NF 2-10 is a great lightweight option. Contact cameraland and eurooptic for NF pricing.
I’ve only looked through FFP a few times and have always hunted with F2, so that’s the way I’m leaning. Most of my hunts will be within 150-200 yards but I like the idea of higher magnification to shoot on a buddy’s 1,000 yard range.

Would you recommend FFP over F2? I guess my concern is not being able to see the reticle well on lower powers, but I’ve heard that’s where illumination comes in. I should prob go fondle a few. I’m not terrible far from Mile High Shooting, and they have “like new” NFs. Any experience with them?

nobody

WKR
I’ve only looked through FFP a few times and have always hunted with F2, so that’s the way I’m leaning. Most of my hunts will be within 150-200 yards but I like the idea of higher magnification to shoot on a buddy’s 1,000 yard range.

Would you recommend FFP over F2? I guess my concern is not being able to see the reticle well on lower powers, but I’ve heard that’s where illumination comes in. I should prob go fondle a few. I’m not terrible far from Mile High Shooting, and they have “like new” NFs. Any experience with them?
A properly designed and executed FFP reticle will always be more useful and serve a broader purpose than any SFP reticle. The key there is properly designed and executed. Most FFP reticles are poor for hunting, but hunters buy them because marketing departments at the scope companies have convinced hunters that they need a "Christmas Tree" reticle to kill elk at 250 yards.

Trijicon and SWFA both have fantastic FFP reticles that can be used from low to high power in any conditions on any rifle, and will allow for windage correction holds on any power utilizing the reticle without having to do mental gymnastics in the heat of the moment. If you plan to shoot long range, do yourself a favor and make the plunge now.

I've never messed with it, but the Mil-R reticle in the Nightforce SHV F1 looks like it would also qualify as properly designed and executed. If I was in your shoes, that's what I would be looking at in Nightforce's lineup. If you're stuck on the NX8, I would highly suggest looking at the 2.5-20 from an eyebox standpoint. Again, I've never messed with it, but I've heard that the NX8 has a very critical eyebox, and the 4-32 is the worst offender. The 2.5-20 is supposedly much better, and 20x is way more magnification than you'll ever "need" in a hunting scenario.

Samson7x

WKR

FFP vs 2FP is personal preference really. Most of my hunting scopes are FFP with illumination but I do have a NF 2-10 and love it too. At that mag range, if you are dialing you are already on 10x anyway IMO. And you can shoot to 1k yards with 10x so it may be an option worth looking at.

Mile high is good to go so I would definitely check some out in person if you are close.

OP
S
So I was ready to pull the trigger on a “like new / demo” NF nx8 4-32x F2 today, and they’ve all left the market?? Mile High had one online, as did Euro Optic and Scope List, but as of this morning, they’re all showing out of stock with no ability to back order. Optics Planet even has a “discontinued by manufacturer” disclaimer.

Do these like new optics come and go, or are they typically available?