Seekins Element In 6.5 or PH2 In 7prc

Benjblt

WKR
I've got several rifles buy I want a lightweight (6lbs max bare rifle) and a long range (heavier for ease of shooting round after round).

For the long range, I want the 7 prc. I've considered building it out myself with a prefit barrel or the Seekins PH2. I'd like a finished weight of about 9.5 lbs, scoped, etc. So that might work.

For the lightweight I'm thinking 6.5 PRC..... maybe Creedmoore. For this I've either considered the Seekins Element, which seems like a sweet option. Or just getting a 6.5 Creedmoor in like a cheap ruger or savage to save money for the long range 7PRC.

I realize it's my decision and there are a lot of variables. Humor me. What would you do? I currently have a 8.5 lb 300 WSM that I'm using. But I'd like something lighter (recoil and weight). I'd say this is more of a need than the long range gun as I do a lot of backpack hunting.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Profiler

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion.....Savage Ultralight 6.5cm has 22" barrel and a proof research barrel. It's been a tack driver for me. My other one is a springfield armory waypoint redline model 20" with the grayboe trekker stock and carbon barrel. Decked out with an optic, rings, and suppressor, it comes in at 9lbs total. The 16" barrel version would even be sub 9lbs in a similar setup. I can even shave a few more ounces off if I had a lighter scope.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I ended up going with the Seekins PH2 in 7PRC. . . Well I put money down on it for the shop to hold it. It should be showing up in 5 days. I'm not sure if I'll regret the 26" barrel. I've never had a barrel that long.

atmat

WKR
I ended up going with the Seekins PH2 in 7PRC. . . Well I put money down on it for the shop to hold it. It should be showing up in 5 days. I'm not sure if I'll regret the 26" barrel. I've never had a barrel that long.
I think you’re going to regret this decision. You’re not going to experience any less recoil than your 300WSM, and a 26” bare rifle is long if you’re adding a brake or suppressor.

What is long range to you? My 16” 6creed will kill elk out to 600 yards. A longer 6.5creed gets you even further, and will be significantly more pleasant and cheaper to shoot.
Fierce Carbon rogue 5.6 lbs. 6.5 prc

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a 7PRC in Seekins Havak Element and my buddy got the same rifle in a 6.5PRC. They seem to be pretty nice lightweight rifles. He topped his with a VX6 and mines wearing a NX8, both in NF rings. We’re hitting the range this Saturday to see how they shoot. I’ll post some final weights of the rifles but hoping mine finishes out between 7.5 to 8lbs which is ideal for a easy shooting/light enough to pack around gun as it will be a dedicated hunting rifle and my “go to” this season over my semi custom tikka 300WM and semi custom tikka 270WSM for elk and deer. I’m tired of shooting a 6lb 300WM 😂. It’s a joy to carry and a hammer but tough to shoot consistently over 500yds in a hunting situation.

Seems like the 22” barrel is the move for the 7PRC out to about 800yds before the longer barrel out runs it but not by much…

Last edited:
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
What specific animals at what distance will a 7PRC kill that a 6.5PRC will not?

Think hard about that.
I have. I want a hunting rifle that I can shoot steel, for fun, and animals out to 1,000. I don't have those skills yet and may not ever try at an animal out to 1,000 but that's the idea.

Marshfly

WKR
I have. I want a hunting rifle that I can shoot steel, for fun, and animals out to 1,000. I don't have those skills yet and may not ever try at an animal out to 1,000 but that's the idea.

A 6.5PRC won’t do that?

You don’t need two rifles is my point. Plenty of kills out to 800+ with 6.5 creedmoor all over this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Not ripping on the 6.5PRC for elk but personally I’d prefer something bigger. I’ve killed plenty of bulls with my 270WSM slinging 140gr ABs and 1 cow and 2 bulls with a 6mm CM inside 400yds using a 105gr projectile. That being said I helped my buddy kill his first bull last year and he is a very seasoned PRS shooter with plenty of trophies to prove it. He smoked a his bull at 230yds with 2 perfectly placed shots using a 6.5PRC. It did the job but I’ve seen elk die quicker with stick and string than this. He was shooting a 140gr berger of some kind but took a minute and a half (have it on film) before that bull laid down and another minute + for it to expire, pretty tough to watch… end of the day shot placement and bullet selection is everything IMO and bigger is better when it comes to elk.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
But your original question was what would we do. I would buy one gun that did everything you want well and it would be the lighter rifle that kicks less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I totally respect that. I've heard too many stories and don't believe the creedmoor does that every time. . but if it does it for you I can't argue. Plenty of people wound elk with big 30's too. . so it depends on how all these stories/information is analyzed with regard to cartridge effectiveness on game. I guess I'm not in the one gun camp. The 7 PRC is more for fun and less for need. I still plan on picking up the 6.5 Creed. That said, if I wanted just one gun I'd go 7 PRC with a 22" or 24" barrel that comes in at about 6.5 lbs.

I've analyzed my 300 WSM with the likely load I'll use and the 7 PRC at the PH2 weight with the likely load I'll use and the Recoil Energy would be 15% less for the PRC. Not a huge difference. The big difference is the energy and velocity down range. It's HUGE. Energy alone is almost 73% more. Drop is over 6' less and velocity is 450 fps more. . . on paper.

I'm not even making a point hear really. This was just the basis of my decision. I feel the 7 PRC is the most balanced long range cartridge. You get the most "bang for your buck" when considering long range. I do believe the 6.5 PRC is compelling and plan to own a 6.5 creedmoor in a lightweight set-up that I will not use for elk regardless of how many people have killed elk with it.

Marshfly

WKR
I totally respect that. I've heard too many stories and don't believe the creedmoor does that every time. .
It's not the creedmoor that doesn't do it. It's the guy behind the gun. But I think most people are realizing that.

I definitely agree that the 7PRC is the best all-around long range cartridge available today though. I personally just don't think it adds any utility to the 6.5. It's just more for the sake of more IMHO.

Coincidentally, I went through this exact same thought process recently. 7PRC vs 6.5PRC in an Element. I came to the conclusion that for ME, the additional weight and recoil added nothing. I'm not looking for 1k shots on game though. I admire people that can reliably and ethically do that however.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
It's not the creedmoor that doesn't do it. It's the guy behind the gun. But I think most people are realizing that.

I definitely agree that the 7PRC is the best all-around long range cartridge available today though. I personally just don't think it adds any utility to the 6.5. It's just more for the sake of more IMHO.

Coincidentally, I went through this exact same thought process recently. 7PRC vs 6.5PRC in an Element. I came to the conclusion that for ME, the additional weight and recoil added nothing. I'm not looking for 1k shots on game though. I admire people that can reliably and ethically do that however.
Well I think similarly though it may not appear so. You have me thinking.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a 7prc Element for a one do-it-all rifle.

Im sure the 6.5 prc would be great as well. 6.8 western in an Element seems like it would be pretty great also if the ammo ever caught on

Last edited: