SeekOutside Little Bug Out in use and why I went with this system.

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking to replace my freestanding 2 man tent with a lighter more adaptable system. I have yet to use a tent with another person for quite some time but do prefer the 2 man space as an option for a single person. The room to weight ratio just wins every time.

I was looking at a tarp setup but in the humid south really need the bug protection as bugs are a problem most of the year. I wasn't happy with the hanging bug nets that were floor-less because going floor-less in the humid areas can still leave you with crawlies in your sleeping area.

I decided on the little bug out system for 3 or 4 reasons.
It eliminates needing tent poles
It doesn't require trees
It has the larger vestibule detachable leaving you with a 1lb base you can use alone or with a bivy if needed.
It had a great bug system design that is removable. I didn't go with a tarp only because it seemed that I was going to do more reverse engineering to meet all my needs potentially than just trying the LBO.

So far I can say I am very happy. The vestibule means you can get out of the weather and still keep your boots on to do things and not track dirt into your enclosed area when using the bug nest.

I also was looking for a system that would allow me to stash away my bug area some. I can do this with the LBO by sliding the nest back and folding it into itself. When I'm ready to use it you simply attach the cordage to the 2 stakes up by the front and pull the nest up with another piece of cordage. Your not locked into using the space or not. This could be done a different way but so far I'm happy with the adaptability of this system.

Nest out of the way.

Open view in the morning is also a perk!!

This shows the vestibule attached with both doors open.

The solutions to sheltering problems seem almost endless when your trying to decide what to go with. I may change to a different solution to the sheltering problems such as weight to space ratio, adaptability of the system and usable bug space but for now this will work great.

although my reasoning for going this route, differs from yours about 100%, i too am enjoying this shelter. i really like the versatility of it. i think its a great solo option in the lean to config, 2 man option with the 3 pc vestibule and in worse weather/longer nights, the double base is a nice config.

OP
blgoode

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a scale to measure exactly but from my figures the base+vestibule+bug nest+stakes and guy line and even tossing in a piece of tyvek is about 3.5lbs with maximum setup features.

Base is 16oz
Vestibule + stove jack is 10oz
Bug nest is 21oz

Add for stakes, cordage

Ground cloth if desired.

Lightweight set up is very light and easy with 1 guy to live out of it.

OP
blgoode

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
I was trying to find the LBO set up like a tarp using 2 trekking poles only before I got one so I thought if post up my attempt at setting it up as a shelter using only 2 trekking poles and no vestibule. This would be a palace with a bivy tossed in to protect your bag and still have room to stash your gear and cook and whatnot. It's not the optimal setup but much more roomy than a smaller tarp in an A Frame setup.

Ironman8

WKR
For those with experience with the Base and 3-piece vestibule, is it worth the extra weight for the base over the 3-piece? Is the extra room significant enough to justify the extra weight? How many people would fit in either configuration (with most of the gear being outside)?

i know some people will differ with me on this, just like in other threads where they claim the SL5 as a 3 man shelter but i think this is a 2 man shelter. in either config. what is really going to make the difference is, the weather. the way its layed out, in either config(3pc vesti or double base) you have the same amount of room for sleeping. and enough room to put you pack near your shoulder. where it differs, is in 3pc mode, the foot is wide enough for 2 pads. then it tapers to the hip. with the 2nd base, the foot is wide. a pack width, outside of 2 pads, on each side, all the way down. if that makes any sense.

OP
blgoode

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
This is for sure a 2 man shelter. 3 could squeak in but it would be with zero gear storage.

This is for sure a 2 man shelter. 3 could squeak in but it would be with zero gear storage.

I've slept 2 ppl in my LBO and honestly it's cramped with gear. Early season where you stash your gear outside is completely comfortable where you're only spending time in it to sleep.

This last season my partner and I did a 3rd season Colorado hunt with two bases and a tarp connector and stove and it was perfect for sleeping and lounging with gear stowed inside with all the hours of darkness.

I used my standard vestibule with stove late November solo and it was a perfect one man late season shelter. Wouldn't even want to think about a 2nd person and gear in there late season.

Mike

Ironman8

WKR
Thanks for the responses guys. I was asking because there was a possibility to have myself, my sister and brother-in-law underneath the LBO this hunting season. It sounds like it just might work without gear in the tent, but maybe a tad bit of a squeeze. However, it sounds like it's just gonna be two of us at any one time, so shouldn't be a problem in that case.

Wrongside

WKR
It goes against my normal caution on buying into new gear and new gear versions or models, but I was a pretty early adopter of the LBO. It has not disappointed in any way. My favourite shelter ever. Very flexible.

We've slept 4 with gear- no stove- in the Base-Tarp-Base, with room to spare. Granted, two of the four were 11-12 year olds... The Base-Standard Vestibule is a fantastic little palace for solo trips, even with a stove, and will work for 2, but I find it a bit snug if the weather turns and you're stuck inside for a bit. Switch to the 3 panel vestibule... And it works well for 2 with gear.

How is the base plus base setup with a stove for two people? Is there enough room for a couple packs and bows? I understand the base plus vestibule with stove is pretty much a 1 man shelter.

How is the base plus base setup with a stove for two people? Is there enough room for a couple packs and bows? I understand the base plus vestibule with stove is pretty much a 1 man shelter.

i have not done it yet, but carpet time layout seems feasible. ill let you know in october...

Eric Bailey

Lil-Rokslider
I've slept 2 ppl in my LBO and honestly it's cramped with gear. Early season where you stash your gear outside is completely comfortable where you're only spending time in it to sleep.

This last season my partner and I did a 3rd season Colorado hunt with two bases and a tarp connector and stove and it was perfect for sleeping and lounging with gear stowed inside with all the hours of darkness.

I used my standard vestibule with stove late November solo and it was a perfect one man late season shelter. Wouldn't even want to think about a 2nd person and gear in there late season.

Mike

What stove did you run in it when you were solo? How much stovepipe do you need when running it out the vestibule?

What stove did you run in it when you were solo? How much stovepipe do you need when running it out the vestibule?

I want to say the stove pipe was 6'. Used a kifaru small oval short stove. Worked phenomenal but you had to feed it quite often. Just enough to take the chill off and relax a bit before heading to bed.

Mike

DaveC

WKR
For those with experience with the Base and 3-piece vestibule, is it worth the extra weight for the base over the 3-piece? Is the extra room significant enough to justify the extra weight? How many people would fit in either configuration (with most of the gear being outside)?

I'll disagree a bit here.

By backpacking standards the LBO (w/ 3 piece vest.) is a solid three person shelter. You have to cant the center pole, and you don't have massive storage space, but it's not worse than most 3p tents.

For two and gear it's a palace. 2 plus stove while winter camping easy.

In any case, it is an exceptionally bomber mid, by far the best I've used. This past winter I slept well through the night in storm that went from rain to snow with gusts to 70. Having a 21 ounce shelter that can do that is awesome.

I'll disagree a bit here.

By backpacking standards the LBO (w/ 3 piece vest.) is a solid three person shelter. You have to cant the center pole, and you don't have massive storage space, but it's not worse than most 3p tents.

For two and gear it's a palace. 2 plus stove while winter camping easy.

In any case, it is an exceptionally bomber mid, by far the best I've used. This past winter I slept well through the night in storm that went from rain to snow with gusts to 70. Having a 21 ounce shelter that can do that is awesome.
you must have a different scale than i do. my lbo with 3pcv is 28.5oz in a 4l cuben cinch sack. plus i run 5.35oz of stakes for it.
double base config with stove jack is 35.35 for me.