Semi-Live CO 1st Rifle Elk

OP
chippewawarrior
I'm glad someone is reading and enjoying this. Not done yet, just busy catching up. I'll get more done tomorrow night...

Last edited:
OP
chippewawarrior
Alright, where did I leave off. Saturday afternoon, we hiked down from 10,000 ft., out of the snow. We hunted for a few hours, and never really found what I thought was a decent spot to set camp. There was some elk sign, but again nothing that I thought was better than where we came. So we donned our heavy packs and hiked the final mile or so out to the trucks. We decided to drive back down the road to a different trailhead to set camp and hunt a different area. We got to the trailhead and nobody was camped there. I guess that should have been a sign as well, but we were happy to be there alone. That was very unusual. There were camps in that spot the last three times I had hunted there. We got camp set again and ate dinner, before going to bed. It was 22° at bedtime...

OP
chippewawarrior
Sunday: We woke up to 12°. Again Leia was cold once she left the confines of her sleeping bag. I had supplemented her bag by wrapping her like a burrito with a Kifaru Woobie before bed. I'm glad I did, good decision. I also had her wear more clothes. There was frost everywhere, it was damn cold. I made Leia and myself some hot tea to warm up prior to our climb up the mountain. Leia was dragging, so I told the guys to head up without me, and we would catch up later. I was very familiar with this area, so I knew exactly where I wanted to start. Just as we left camp, Leia proclaimed she was just too cold. So, I threw her in the truck with the heat on and made her a hot breakfast as well. That was the ticket. As she shook off the cold, we watched the sun rise. After breakfast, we made our way up the mountain...

06b72fe718ff95955c825b98e74b70c6.jpg

ec0666a199f1e5ed6cf1847c8505c8c8.jpg

OP
chippewawarrior
We climbed up past Hinman Lake to a spot near and dear to my heart. The area was where I had killed a cow elk 4 years ago.

990c8b2c7d7234ac219e90efc2257ea5.jpg

Once we where there, Leia wanted to reenact that photo.

67e540acd312b7183e18e81a32e6f6e2.jpg

She is holding a small stuffed elk that mom made her for the trip...

Last edited:
OP
chippewawarrior
There was much more elk sign in this area than we had seen thus far, so we were encouraged. I spent the day hiking around the area off trail looking for elk. We ended up back where we started and hunted till dark.

c13059d9dd78acc614bbf75cf754a21f.jpg

377c6056c2ccff591946bda79ea3454c.jpg

One of the coolest things of the day was Leia found what was left of the skull from my cow...

bd66ce4dfadc7af3eae274ca8199d29e.jpg

We also saw a mule deer that I think even Robby Denning would shoot. It was the biggest deer I have ever seen in the woods.

Last edited:
OP
chippewawarrior
Leia had been such a trooper, but I could tell she needed what my dad refers to as a "recharge". After we got back to camp at dark, I surprised her with a night at a hotel. I felt like she needed a shower and warm air to wake up to. So, we drove down to Steamboat and procured a room at the Nordic Inn. The receptionist was so stoked Leia was hunting that she upgraded us to a suite. We also ate at a restaurant across the street called Laundry.

f31631439435ea083c4d2a7cfc0c5066.jpg

OP
chippewawarrior
After a good nights sleep, a shower, and a good meal, we headed back to the grind. I had spoken to the guys in the group, and we had decided to bring out the big guns and set up the Cabela's Alaknak 12x12 Tent with the stove at lunch time. Daytime temperatures were nearing 70°, but the stove would keep us warm and dry during the night. Most importantly, I could warm up the tent in the mornings for Leia.

Last edited:
OP
chippewawarrior
Tuesday morning the stove did its job. I had it going well before light and Leia had no problems hiking up the mountain before light.

639913adf17789ab5aac835a098ec773.jpg

Breakfast.

9f6db382180d134c5806f99e2916c45e.jpg

Our morning lookout.

a70740f3bba557148f9ab6fe97e25240.jpg

d76d7547c9d17e3504f6f004bdebaa6b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
chippewawarrior
We spent the next two days posted up in the morning and hiking off trail during the day trying to find the elk. All we found was mule deer, and more mule deer. Oh, and some of these guys...
96235811f951385c5ee76d208908bcaf.jpg

ebdf54086db79dff0a8b3764a379f9f1.jpg

917fde43f6fe5a4627464a5c6e593421.jpg

Can you see it on the sleeve?

OP
chippewawarrior
The GPS says we logged over 35 miles over the course of our adventures, and she never complained a peep. The bitter cold was the only thing that slowed her down. Physically, she fared much better than some of the adults. She runs cross-country so her stamina came naturally.

8548bd82932bdf2cd759a3ef87ce28e4.jpg

OP
chippewawarrior
Some concluding thoughts and occurrences... I broke a power pull on my Kifaru Bikini belt, so I have to have that fixed. That was the only piece of gear that failed. Otherwise, my pack is pretty dialed in. Forgetting my Suunto watch sucked. I use that so much when navigating. I am happy with my problem solving abilities. My make-shift upper gunbearer strap worked for the duration of the trip. Next time, I need to take a few nails to hang things from trees in camp. I will never use a bladder again after using a Steripen/Nalgene combo. A Kifaru Parastove is a little too small for a Seek Outside Cimarron. I brought too much food again. I am having trouble figuring that out. However, all of the dehydrated meals I made were delicious and worked out beautifully. I will never eat Mountain House again. I bought a 50L Calcutta cooler at the gas station in Laramie on the way home, so we'll see how it goes. I need to pack lip balm & a few Q-tips. When Leia is with me, don't leave the handwarmers in the truck. Feed the Gremlin BEFORE you leave to hunt in the morning.

I'll add more as they come back to me.

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You should have hit Winonia's in steamboat and gotten her a cinnamon roll the size of a brick (like the ones from the hilltop in the UP if you're familiar), that'd fire one up for the morning. ;)

1st rifle was COLD this year in the mornings, in that crap I can completely see how a larger heated tipi with room to hang clothes would get the nod. I was running a Cimarron also.

OP
chippewawarrior
You should have hit Winonia's in steamboat and gotten her a cinnamon roll the size of a brick (like the ones from the hilltop in the UP if you're familiar), that'd fire one up for the morning.

I know exactly what you talking about on both accounts. We got one on our way out of town

Last edited:

sab

Lil-Rokslider
I just saw this thread, CW. Very cool! It’s nice to see you passing on the love of pursuit to the next generation! Your daughter is a real trooper (like father like daughter)! I’m headed to GMU 4, just a bit west of your hunt, for 4th rifle cow in a few weeks. Can’t wait!

OP
chippewawarrior
I thought of more... I used a Luxurylite cot at basecamp for the first time. That was a game changer as I have never slept better, so much so that I'm considering the weight/space penalty next time in the backcountry.