Set aside hunting arrows?

Boreal

WKR
Howdy all, do you set aside a select number of arrows for hunting? I’ve been shooting VAP TKOs that I plan to hunt with his fall. But I just checked and several of the arrows have developed a little wobble. I suppose from the outserts getting knocked out of true. They all were spinning true when I picked them up from the LBS. So Fiji set aside six that spin true and practice with he others? What’s your strategy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont personally do that but see no flaw in doing so. I think it may be a good idea if they dont shoot as well.

I always set aside 5 or 6 with broadheads that are tested and as perfect as I can assemble.

I build all of my arrows and shoot them all to confirm they all fly true and adjust any outliers the best I can. Then start putting broadheads on and shooting to confirm they still fly true because some arrows don’t even when they have the most perfect alignment possible and tuned well. Then I sharpen up the good flying heads and set them aside. Usually that’s sometime in July I get that determined unless I’m running the same arrows as the previous year

Elkhntr08

WKR
If my arrows developed a wobble after shooting them for practice, I’d be looking to change arrows.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If my arrows developed a wobble after shooting them for practice, I’d be looking to change arrows.

Exactly.

I shoot whatever arrows I have year round, and in the weeks leading up to elk season I put BH's on all of them and make sure they all spin true and fly straight. Then I pick 5 and put them in the quiver. When the season is over, the BH's come off and those 5 will be used for 3D and general shooting the next 11 months.

Tilzbow

WKR
I make up a dozen specifically for hunting and they stay in a case with broadheads attached until needed. My process involves test shooting each arrow at 60 yards with three different types of broadheads on each arrow, nock tuning etc. until each arrow is verified or weeded out. I then screw the broadhead I intend to leave on each individual arrow verify that combo shoots good, sharpen the head and place into the arrow case. I normally have 2 - 4 arrows I can’t get to shoot all three style of broadheads and those become practice arrows. After the hunt all arrows go back into the case awaiting the next hunt. I’ve done this for years and have switched arrow brands a few times and now have three or four dozen different brands made up and ready to go. I need to hunt more or sell some arrows!

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR

I should say that each of these arrows have well more than a thousand shots each. Been using them just about every day on targets from the Matrix in my back yard to 3D this summer and at the indoor range all winter. Much opportunity for small wobbles to develop. I’ll make up another dozen and select some for broad heads and set them aside.

Thanks to all for the advice.

ontarget7

WKR
Anytime you are using an outsert System the chance of wobble over time is inevitable. Now if you like the setup your currently using it would be a good idea to pull some aside that you can dedicate come hunting season.

Longevity wise it’s still tough to beat a standard insert system for staying true

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Anytime you are using an outsert System the chance of wobble over time is inevitable. Now if you like the setup your currently using it would be a good idea to pull some aside that you can dedicate come hunting season.

Yep. I like to shoot a lot. And that may include shooting stumps, or rabbits, or squirrels, or grouse on the rocky ground, or maybe even aiming at the eyeball instead of the vitals on a 65 yard 3D target. So I set up my arrows for maximum durability as well as accuracy, and IME any outsert system is the worst.

GLB

WKR
I do. I'm a Trad shooter and shoot mostly wood arrows that I build myself. When I put a batch together for my bows I select the best ones for broadheads. I then shot them a couple times to make sure they fly good, after that I just keep them sharp. I would do the same with non wood arrows as well.

Trial153

WKR
I mark a few that really seem to find their way into the bullseye and use them as my first up arrows,

LostArra

WKR
I mark a few that really seem to find their way into the bullseye and use them as my first up arrows,

Same here.
Compound and recurve.

I practice with broadhead arrows much more with my recurve/longbow leading up to the season. I shoot a fixed crawl and the sight picture is a little different with a big blade on the end of the arrow.