Shape charge Gen1 vs Current Gen

Hey all,

Seen some shape charges that have the top grab handle sewn in the middle and don’t have the shape charge handle. Assuming this means it’s a gen1 as the current gen has an open sewn grab handle and the shape change handle included.

Are there any other differences?

1st gen had a front carry handle sewn in the middle, no velcro on the front of the lid and 7 rows of pals webbing on the front. Gen 2 has an open carry handle on front, velcro on the front of the lid and 8 rows of pals webbing on the front. They didnt start putting the shape charge handle on the gen 2 until last year sometime. Most of us with gen 2s prior to that have the one Squirrels makes.

I *believe* the gen 1 also doesnt have the webbing hoods (not sure what they call it) that zippers run through at the bottom of each side that serves as a bit of security to stop the pulls from either catching on something and coming open or to stop someone from opening your pack. Ill attach a pic in a second of what Im talking about.

As far as which is better, I think its sort of splitting hairs on it. Both of them are solid packs.

Attachments

• IMG_2961.jpeg
    IMG_2961.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 13
OP
B
Thank you for the distinction. I was trying to decide to purchase a used Gen 1 or a new Gen 2. Appreciate your info!

Athame

Lil-Rokslider
whoa~ I must be slipping. I didn't notice that they modified it. Now, if they'd only modify the shoulder straps!

P4.jpg

OP
B
Does your gen 1 have a zippered lower pocket on the inside of the pack? The gen 2 pics show two zippered pockets? I saw at least one Gen 1 that had the upper organizer pocket zippered with the lower open.

Here is the Gen 2 for reference:
Screen Shot 2023-06-06 at 8.22.02 PM.png

Athame

Lil-Rokslider
Does your gen 1 have a zippered lower pocket on the inside of the pack? The gen 2 pics show two zippered pockets? I saw at least one Gen 1 that had the upper organizer pocket zippered with the lower open.

Here is the Gen 2 for reference:
View attachment 561847

I'm pretty sure it does but hang on, I'll go and check.

OP
B
Ok cool thanks for this. Do you find the opening detracts from anything spilling out if open the bag? I wouldn’t think so, but maybe if some morning is heavier or large?

Athame

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't had that experience. I've mostly just kept sea to summit wets wipes and an msr travel towel in there. If I ever fully unzip the bag it's on the ground so nothing falls out.