Shed dogs

Beastmode

WKR
Who uses shed dogs? We are getting a new family dog next weekend and considering getting in to using a shed dog. The pup is a yellow lab with a strong bird hunting and search and rescue background.
u2aravad.jpg

husky390

WKR
I'm giving my GSP a shot at this year. Problem is she's more interested in chasing little furry woodland critters so I'll most likely be doing the hunting and retrieving. Good luck with your pup. Nice looking lab, Nick.

Jesse Minish

Lil-Rokslider
I have a lab that I will be using this year. He just turned 1 so this will be his first year. We have been out a couple times but snow was still nut deep so no luck...

amp713

WKR
Ive got a pitbull catahoula mix that came from hunting on both sides, one was hog and one was bear. She has a good nose and is being held in colorado by a friend for my till wednesday when i go on days off..... We will be working on it hard!

2ski

WKR
So how do you guys go about training a dog to find sheds? I don't have a dog, but I've always been curious.

Look up Doiken. He is an accomplished retriever trainer and I read that he came out with a training program for sheds. In the past friends and I have just started dogs out with small sheds in the hall, to get them to bring them back to you. Then go to sheds in a mowed area, slowly working your way to where the dog is hunting through a variety of cover and bringing the shed back. If they do not bring it back put s check cord on them so you can make them come back to you. Make it fun for them, especially and first. Do not forget to do obedience training also, that will make life a lot easier, training and just in general.

That is a very condensed version of training. There is a lot of info out there. There are guys now making big money off of training shed dogs, kind of ridiculous to me.

So how do you guys go about training a dog to find sheds? I don't have a dog, but I've always been curious.

My two labs have been around antlers since they day they were brought home. My female black lab used to be very good at it, both will find sheds hidden with ease and she has brought a fair share of horns back to me while shed hunting. The male, unfortunately will not get much real work practice because we now live in AK. He can find horns like no bodies business in the yard or anywhere though. He has an antler in his mouth or very close to him all day long, the little fella just loves them.

I started mine off by playing fletch with antlers. Once they get better at that, then start hiding them and have them find them. I worked with Bella most days for about 30 mins and she got the hang of it pretty quick. The key to knowing their worth is shed hunting in areas with a high concentration of bone... If they aren't there, they won't find them.

Best advice I can give you, aside from Doiken, if you are interested is to go to Monster Muleys and contact a guy names "fatrooster" on the shed forums... He usually is very willing to help people out.

Any dog can be trained to find them, you just have to work with them a lot.

All this said, I have watched my female run by sheds without picking them up, but I have also seen her bring many back to me.

It's all about the training...

I am currently training my german shepard mix how to find sheds. He does pretty good. Except now when my fiance uses sheds for decoration he goes after them.

Broz

WKR
My Australian Shepard is picking it up very quickly. He sure cover a lot of ground and always is eager to trade them for a treat.

2014-01-180012014-01-18003_zps8102420c.jpg

2014-01-180012014-01-18002_zpse78d317e.jpg

2014-01-180012014-01-18005_zps71296b14.jpg

2014-01-180012014-01-18010_zpsdc6882d3.jpg

trk3263

WKR
So my question is do I let my lab chew on an elk shed all the time or only when I am training her?

Mine have antlers around all the time... Not sure if that is "right" but it works for me... My dogs do not have "toys", they have one tennis ball and about a thousand horns. LOL

Broz

WKR
I don't know the proper method. But mine is given only one antler at a time that is his to chew on. We have antlers in the landscape and all around the house. He is to leave mine alone, and he does.

I started Hoss out by glassing up a few antlers in the distance then walking toward them with him. He loves walks and runs big circles around me. I let him discover the antler on his own and I stay back. Then once he pics it up I drop to my knee and call him to bring it. When he drops it at my feet he gets one of his favorite cheese flavored treats. Might not be the best method but he is bringing me antlers and knows what we are looking for.

Jeff

I started Hoss out by glassing up a few antlers in the distance then walking toward them with him. He loves walks and runs big circles around me. I let him discover the antler on his own and I stay back. Then once he pics it up I drop to my knee and call him to bring it. When he drops it at my feet he gets one of his favorite cheese flavored treats. Might not be the best method but he is bringing me antlers and knows what we are looking for.

Jeff

Basically exactly how I did my in the field training.

Broz

WKR
Bump, I was hoping for more posts on this thread. Tis the season. There surely are more people using dogs to find sheds?

Jeff

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm no expert and my two have been pretty much self taught.....check out a site called EVERYTHING SHED DOG they have alot of info to help teach your dog...Magnum has had some good days through the years and has grown up in the mountains from 9 weeks on... i still recall the first time out 9 years ago in april snowing and blowing and the little guy threw up and about got hypothermia and we had to stop and make a fire:)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
A point Griffon is an incredible hunter, always hunting anything and everything. They can be very stubborn, but are very intelligent, a great nose and very loyal, just more work than a lab. My father had one for 13 years and recently lost his drathaar, she was just as sharp. I am sure they would make a great antler dog, just will take more work than a lab to keep close from my experience.