Sheep Show 2024

cbeard64

WKR
A quick glance at the WSF Annual Reports indicates they are doing a good job of spending the $$$ that are raised towards sheep conservation. A big chunk is given to state and provincial wildlife agencies but I assume that’s because those agencies are on the front lines of conservation. Lots of direct project funding also.

A small percentage does go to things like the “Industry Supprt” item mentioned above but it’s not enough to cause concern.

It also appears they spend the vast majority of $$ raised annually and that’s a positive.

WCB

WKR
3rd year there and had a great time. I work the show so it is a grind if you join in the festivities at night. Great people, great conversations.

If someone reading this and is thinking about going...definitely do it. But as some have said unless you are looking for a hunt and are going to talk to outfitters you can burn through the show pretty quick. I would plan on spending some time in the seminars or watching the films...go to one of the dinners at night and watch money fly around and talk to everybody. Then go skiing or fishing or something else the rest of the weekend.

I didn’t go to Sheep Show Convention recently but I am curious. I saw the auction tag sales were extraordinary and out of this world.

Does anyone know the going, ballpark contract prices for Alaska guided dahl sheep hunts, Canadian guided dahl sheep hunts, and Canadian stone sheep hunts?

Thanks for the information, TheGrayRider.

Got quotes for a buddy while I was there. Dall sheep is 45-49k. Stone sheep is 75k plus. Some outfitters were booking out so far that they wouldn’t let you lock those prices in or even let you book a hunt, would only take your info and let you know when they had openings. Ravens Throat Outfitters for example, was saying next availability was 2029 but wouldn’t let you actually book it or lock in a price and was 49k for Dall sheep as of now. Hope that makes sense.

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
Show was really enjoyable. I agree its kind of a bummer that sheep hunting is going to require more and more money, but its true of a lot these days. Really liked to talking to the outfitters I've known over the years early in the show and getting a chance to spend some time chatting with guides over dinner. Likely to skip the show dinners moving forward: food is what you would expect when they are dishing it out to 1000+ people and the Thursday opening prayer that turned into a weird political speech was the kind of thing I can do without. Plus more fun going out with industry folks and being able to have actual conversations. Better to just come late for the auction entertainment.

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
Got quotes for a buddy while I was there. Dall sheep is 45-49k. Stone sheep is 75k plus. Some outfitters were booking out so far that they wouldn’t let you lock those prices in or even let you book a hunt, would only take your info and let you know when they had openings. Ravens Throat Outfitters for example, was saying next availability was 2029 but wouldn’t let you actually book it or lock in a price and was 49k for Dall sheep as of now. Hope that makes sense.
that's not that much more than prices 3 years ago. Great outfitter/area.

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I'll climb on the soapbox for a bit. It seems every year there is the negativity/animosity over the price of auction tags at the Sheep Show which confounds me. People need to realize that the auction tags are just 1 license. I'll use Wyoming as my example since I'm most familiar with it. Wyo. typically has 150 to 200 bighorn licenses issued every year. This means there are 149 to 199 licenses issued to 'regular' folks who apply and draw a tag. This scenario is pretty similar in most states.

The Sheep Show licenses which sell for a lot of dollars have virtually no impact on the 'common Joe', whoever that might be. Outfitting for sheep is a business, like most others, that exists based on 'supply and demand'. Yes, the cost has gone up and will continue to do so as long as the demand exists. It's no different than hotels in my town that essentially double their prices when the yearly rodeo contest comes to town. Or the hotels in Sturgis during the rally or in Las Vegas during the Super Bowl this year.

Not everyone who wants to hunt sheep will be able to do it. Accept that! I can't afford a Ferrari, but I don't begrudge those who can. Most high dollar folks I've met at the Sheep Show have earned their money. If someone here is unhappy with their circumstances, they can work to change it. Virtually all the money spent on the auction tags benefits the various game and fish departments. From my perspective, be grateful there are folks who have the dollars who are willing to spend them for a top notch conservation organization.

Getting off the soapbox now!!
You must be over 60.

Reactions: OMB
So funny how people read things into posts that are not there. I’m not jealous or disparaging anyone, but if you can’t see that the costs for sheep hunting across the board have entered into a whole new stratosphere, you are in denial.

100K Dall hunts will be the norm soon.

And I’m not saying everyone is entitled to a Ferrari, but sheep hunting used to not be analogous to a Ferrari. Now it is. When what used to be attainable for most is now only attainable for a few - that’s not a positive development.
While I see the positives of those tags going to auction for sheep conservation, I also see it as a double-edged sword. On one hand there's a lot of money going to conservation that otherwise probably wouldn't, but on the other it has seemed to turn sheep into a status symbol. By status symbol I don't mean that as in the symbol of going on a long hard arduous adventure, but more of owning a ferrari.

Like you I have no jealousy or disparage anyone for their contributions, but I can't help but see these governor tag hunts influencing the pricing of current sheep hunts.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure I see the correlation between the Governors/Auction Tags going for huge prices and the price of Guided Sheep hunts going up.

You gotta remember, these outfitters have hard costs they have to cover and just like everything in the world....those costs go up every year.

If a gallon of fuel is $3.50-$4.00 in your neighborhood, think about how much it is in the far north of Canada or AK where these hunts take place.

If the cost of groceries has gone up 50% at your local Albertsons, think about how much it's gone up in the far North.

Etc. Etc.

I'm sure some of these outfitters are making good money, they should they have a lot at risk too, but I don't think any of them are getting "rich" off the prices of Sheep hunts.

15 years ago I could buy a brand new dirt bike for $5k....now they are $10k+. Everything gets more expensive.

To the guys who have been, is it worth going from thurs to sun or is fri to sun acceptable/sufficient? Id be flying in from the east coast

To the guys who have been, is it worth going from thurs to sun or is fri to sun acceptable/sufficient? Id be flying in from the east coast
This was my first time. It was much busier Friday afternoon and Saturday. If you just want to see and experience the Show and minimize impact to the work week, Fri-Sun would be fine. If you're planning to book a hunt and want to maximize opportunities for discussions with outfitters, you should plan that for Thursday and Friday morning.

When I go again, I will fly in on Wednesday, spend Thursday and Friday at the Show, then find some chukars or a ski slope over the weekend.

RdRdrFan

WKR
Gross.

Think if these people all just pooled money together and purchased a few strategic pieces of land with some access issues and turned it over to a public agency what that could do for generations of hunters; but then they wouldn’t have another dead ram in a trophy room…

If they want to do that with THEIR money then they can. Some have. Good for them and I am grateful. Also grateful to the guys that shell out big money for these governor tags. That money is going to improve habitat and herds and in turn that will help a hell of a lot of regular hunters that those guys will never know.

I don’t get the hate. Only explanation is jealousy.

Try being grateful.